Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by no2chem
#22-41, I assume are NRs traveling on Dx or Zed pass requesting a class higher than economy (note that these are still STANDBY passengers, so they technically should be accommodated in their desired class of travel after upgrades are cleared). Either that or, this group of passengers somehow all made a PE upgrade request.
Standby employees do not appear on the upgrade list, their names are on the standby list. When they clear the standby list, they are eligible to receive seats in the highest available class. That happens only after the upgrades are processed.

On 10/27, according to my source, there was one upgrade to F, a CK, and two to J, a CK and an EXP. All the standby passengers were assigned seats in the main cabin, none in PE. Numbers 22 through 41 on the upgrade list were all confirmed passengers.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 28, 2018 at 11:00 pm Reason: Correct typo
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
upgrade to PE is not an official policy, even paying with SWU...

what will end up instead if EP gets clear into PE and have SWU deducted, they will complain about to customer service about spending an SWU and not in J.
That was exactly what happened to me on a FCO-JFK fligiht. I requested UG with SWU but was UG's from Y to PE (J was full), and my SWU was deducted. I emailed CS and SWU was re-deposited to my account.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by TWA884
Standby employees do not appear on the upgrade list, their names are on the standby list. When they clear the standby list, they are eligible to receive seats in the highest available class. That happens only after the upgrades are processed.

On 10/26, according to my source, there was one upgrade to F, a CK, and two to J, a CK and an EXP. All the standby passengers were assigned seats in the main cabin, none in PE. Numbers 22 through 41 on the upgrade list were all confirmed passengers.
Well, for starters, your date is wrong. The flight was on 10/27.

The 10/26 flight was full in PE before upgrades were processed, so of course there were no upgrades to PE.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, for starters, your date is wrong. The flight was on 10/27.

The 10/26 flight was full in PE before upgrades were processed, so of course there were no upgrades to PE.
Sorry, I made a typo when I typed the date. The rest of the information was accurate.

On AA 193, which departed on Saturday morning 10/27 at 01:00, one CK was upgraded to F, and a CK and an EXP were upgraded to J. All the standby passengers were assigned seats in the main cabin, none were accommodated in PE. The upgrade list, including numbers 22 through and including 41, consisted solely of confirmed passengers.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Sorry, I made a typo when I typed the date. The rest of the information was accurate.

On AA 193, which departed on Saturday morning 10/27 at 01:00, one CK was upgraded to F, and a CK and an EXP were upgraded to J. All the standby passengers were assigned seats in the main cabin, none were accommodated in PE. The upgrade list, including numbers 22 through and including 41, consisted solely of confirmed passengers.

since 22 through 41 were confirmed revenue pax ... why did they get upgraded ahead of others?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
since 22 through 41 were confirmed revenue pax ... why did they get upgraded ahead of others?
Didn't ask and thus I don't know. I don't know if my source would be able to tell were that to have happened.

Besides, no2 chem just post that "[t]he 10/26 flight was full in PE before upgrades were processed, so of course there were no upgrades to PE."?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Didn't ask and thus I don't know. I don't know if my source would be able to tell were that to have happened.

Besides, no2 chem just post that "[t]he 10/26 flight was full in PE before upgrades were processed, so of course there were no upgrades to PE."?
Yes but we're talking about the 10/27 flight which had 13 empty PE seats before upgrades.

If what you're saying is true, they upgraded 13 random pax (ahead of a bunch of CK/EPs to PE). But the information seems off since there were 0 F seats and only 3 J seats, two which were left unassigned.when the flight closed

And BTW, i have confirmation from another source that 13 were upgraded into PE, so... That just leaves one upgrade unaccounted for, whether it was to J or Y.. Unless my source is wrong, maybe double check your source has the right date...

​​​​​

Last edited by no2chem; Oct 28, 2018 at 11:24 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:49 pm

If what you're saying is true, they upgraded 13 random pax into PE. But the information seems off since there were 0 F seats and only 3 J seats, two which were left unassigned.when the flight closed.​​​​​
I specifically asked whether any standby passengers were accommodated in PE on 10/27.

My source, who is located in the Eastern time zone, told me that there were the three upgrades that I reported - the first three letters of the last names and the first initials match the list that you posted - and that all the standby passengers were assigned seats in the main cabin, some in MCE. She did not tell me about upgrades to PE.

It is not unusual for F and J seats to open up at the last minute; business people and others traveling on refundable/changeable tickets are known to make last minute changes in their travel plans.

As far as random upgrades farther down the list, there could be any number of explanations, including shenanigans. Some parties don't want to split up, some decide not to burns SWU's or fork out the miles and co-pays for lesser upgrades (to PE instead of J). I could go on and on.

My source can only see the priority list and who was upgraded. She cannot read the agent's mind or tell why names were skipped over.

The main point that I tried to get across is that standby passengers do not appear on the upgrade list even when they list for a premium cabin. The priority list is broken into several sections, first are the confirmed passengers without seat assignments (OS). They are followed by confirmed revenue passengers requesting upgrades, including complimentary upgrades (domestic flights only) and SWU and mileage redemptions; employees and dependents traveling on positive space passes also appear in this section of the priority list. Next are the revenue standbys (domestic flights only). Finally there are the non-revenue standbys at the bottom of the list.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:00 am

I specifically asked whether any standby passengers were accommodated in PE on 10/27.

My source, who is located in the Eastern time zone, told me that there were the three upgrades that I reported - the first three letters of the last names and the first initials match the list that you posted - and that all the standby passengers were assigned seats in the main cabin, some in MCE. She did not tell me about upgrades to PE.
I guess our information just doesn't match then. For example, one person asked AA twitter directly where #22-#33, #36 went. The response was premium economy:

That only leaves one person (#1) on the list, who was either upgraded to F or J. I don't know about the other two upgrades you're talking about, the list (refreshed up until the flight was closed) only has #1,#21-33 and #36 as upgrades.

So either there's some miscommunication here, or AA twitter's response doesn't match your source's information.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:08 am

TRA/K cleared into F
DUO/D cleared into J
LU/S cleared into J

One of the OS passengers, TEN/L also cleared into J.

That's all for now. Good night.
econometrics likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:15 am

TRA/K cleared into F
DUO/D cleared into J
LU/S cleared into J

One of the OS passengers, TEN/L also cleared into J.

That's all for now. Good night.
Ok, thanks. But all that says is that for some reason the upgrade list on the app never updated with those 3 passengers. It still doesn't explain #21-33 and #36 (starting with ALV/C), which is what the real question is. And based on the AA twitter response, those passengers were all upgraded into PE.

You know, it's quite possible that the upgrade list in the app is a combination of multiple lists in sabre.

The pertinent question here is, are #21-33 and #36 of a higher status than #4-21? If not, why were they cleared into PE over #4-21?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:01 am

Ok, thanks. But all that says is that for some reason the upgrade list on the app never updated with those 3 passengers. It still doesn't explain #21-33 and #36 (starting with ALV/C), which is what the real question is. And based on the AA twitter response, those passengers were all upgraded into PE.

You know, it's quite possible that the upgrade list in the app is a combination of multiple lists in sabre.

The pertinent question here is, are #21-33 and #36 of a higher status than #4-21? If not, why were they cleared into PE over #4-21?
My friend can only see the final seat assignments, not whether upgrades were processed or not.

What the priority list that she can access shows is that no. 1 was in F and 2 and 3 were in J. Could be that 2 and 3 were on the list because they desired to upgrade from J to F. We just assumed that the upgrades went through because it is unusual to see people upgrading from J to F. She did see that one of the names on the OS list was assigned a seat in J.

The priority list shows a total of 17 names with final seat assignments in the PE section. How many of those were confirmed in PE and seeking upgrades to J and how many of those were actually upgraded from Y to PE we can only speculate.

The list ordered by elite FF status, not by whether the upgrade desired it to F, J or PE.

As I wrote last night, my source cannot read the agent's mind or tell why names were skipped over. Some people turn down upgrades because they don't want to split up if seats are not available together and others don't want to burn SWU's or use miles and money for co-pays to upgrade to PE when what they desire is an upgrade to J.

The bottom line is that I originally posted to challenge your assumption that number 22 -41 on the upgrade list were standby passengers who were upgraded ahead of confirmed passengers. Numbers 22 -41 were not standby, they were all confirmed passengers. The standby list is separate. That night it consisted of 13 names. 12 of them got on, one did not answer, and ALL of them were assigned seats in the MAIN cabin.

If you believe that you were wrongly denied an upgrade, you should complain.

That's all for now.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:16 am

My friend can only see the final seat assignments, not whether upgrades were processed or not.

What the priority list that she can access shows is that no. 1 was in F and 2 and 3 were in J. Could be that 2 and 3 were on the list because they desired to upgrade from J to F. We just assumed that the upgrades went through because it is unusual to see people upgrading from J to F. She did see that one of the names on the OS list was assigned a seat in J.
Wait, what? I assume upgrading from J->F is very typical on a route like LAX-HKG (well, not for every passenger, maybe 1-3 if J is already full, like it was on this flight). So, okay, I buy that #1 may have been upgraded from J->F. But it sounds like #2 and #3 may have requested J->F upgrades and did not clear. That would match the final upgrade list seen in the app. Not sure about the OS list.

The priority list shows a total of 17 names with final seat assignments in the PE section. How many of those were confirmed in PE and seeking upgrades to J and how many of those were actually upgraded from Y to PE we can only speculate.
We don't need to speculate. We know the PE cabin was nearly empty before upgrades were processed (I have screenshots, but I don't think that's relevant). Plus, if you look at the upgrade list from the app, they all have check marks, and the AA twitter team themselves CONFIRMED that those passengers were upgraded into PE.

The bottom line is that I originally posted to challenge your assumption that number 22 -41 on the upgrade list were standby passengers who were upgraded ahead of confirmed passengers. Numbers 22 -41 were not standby, they were all confirmed passengers. The standby list is separate. That night it consisted of 13 names. 12 of them got on, one did not answer, and ALL of them were assigned seats in the MAIN cabin.
Ok fine, I buy your claim that #22 -41 were not standby. But then what were they? It doesn't seem like "regular" passengers can request PE upgrades. Based on your claim that
The list ordered by elite FF status, not by whether the upgrade desired it to F, J or PE.
Then the GA decided to magically skip a bunch of high status passengers to start upgrading #22 and below to PE. That part doesn't sound right. Perhaps traveling as a non-rev in positive space puts them on the upgrade list but below revenue pax?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:29 pm

We don't need to speculate. We know the PE cabin was nearly empty before upgrades were processed (I have screenshots, but I don't think that's relevant). Plus, if you look at the upgrade list from the app, they all have check marks, and the AA twitter team themselves CONFIRMED that those passengers were upgraded into PE.
Didn't someone say up thread the upgrade list contains confirmed passengers without seat assignments? Is it possible these passengers were booked on another airlines ticket in PE, but that airlines didn't/can't let them choose a seat? So then these passengers were already confirmed in PE, but just getting their seat assignments at the gate?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Didn't someone say up thread the upgrade list contains confirmed passengers without seat assignments? Is it possible these passengers were booked on another airlines ticket in PE, but that airlines didn't/can't let them choose a seat? So then these passengers were already confirmed in PE, but just getting their seat assignments at the gate?
Maybe I'm reading too much into what AA twitter says, but they did say that the "upgrades that cleared went into premium economy"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.