Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancellations / Compensation (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat

I've generally had good luck with AA on getting fair compensation, I seem to be in the minority, however. For example, flight Panama City to Miami was cancelled due to weather affecting the inbound aircraft, rescheduled my flight for afternoon, in coach(downgrade), got $600. Unexpected given it was weather.

Was in Honolulu on business, wife came along. I'm Plat Pro, she has no status. Revenue tickets, no issues getting there. Scheduled back on 10:28 pm redeye sunday night, was planning to work half day monday, tuesday and wednesday(small business owner-I don't make money unless I'm there). Sat on aircraft 3 hours while they tried to fix aircraft problem, no go, cancelled, $25 food voucher, taxi voucher and one night at Hilton Hawaiian village. Flight was considered delayed at that point until 3 pm monday.

Arrived at airport again, supposedly plane was fixed. Nope! Taxied out and an engine issue developed. Sat in plane for 2 hours this time before it was cancelled. Nothing available later in day.

Then suddenly on way back to same hotel with the same vouchers they had us on another flight with a different flight number. New aircraft? Not sure. Not even sure this flight really ever existed. Was delayed to 11 pm. Then about 6 pm, cancelled. So overnighted at Hilton Monday night. Best I could do to acceptably get back was Delta 7:15 am wednesday, Wednesday was lost as well as tuesday. Took six calls before someone would put me on Delta. What a much better experience-why am I even flying AA these days-oh yeah, they don't fly out of SBA anymore.....

I'm writing my letter to the complaint department, trying to keep it on point and as simple and short as possible but there were a lot of issues.

What should I expect as far as compensation for me and my wife? Last agent offered $250 each, I laughed at her. It was all she could offer and that point, supposedly.

The other thing that surprised me is that AA never reached out to me in any form. Never! That's F'ed up.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I feel your pain, but must ask you what you think fair compensation is. I don’t know AA’s specific policy is, but you won’t get anything in the way of consequential damages.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Based on my past history when had much more minor issues I think a $1000 per person
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Seems reasonable, but I suspect they’ll offer half that. The rest will be a fight.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Unbelievable. They offered 15k miles. Makes me sick. And F my wife I guess. If it were just her I might understand. Clearly I responded back but what’s my play here? Seems really odd given what I got monetarily on two mechanical caused overnights in PHX and the Panama trip that was weather. Wish I could get off this train......it’s never come to this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Sorry but it's just par for the course with AA.

I'd suggest just settling and "moving on" as we've all endured to some degree your experience. I don't mean to belittle your complaint in the least bit. "We've all been there". Yes, I know... That doesn't help or is the advise you're looking for in the least bit. Take the miles and go free agent. Maybe in due time, things will all equal out in the end at some point. We're just players in a much bigger game!

Be Well!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Sorry but it's just par for the course with AA.

I'd suggest just settling and "moving on" as we've all endured to some degree your experience. I don't mean to belittle your complaint in the least bit. "We've all been there". Yes, I know... That doesn't help or is the advise you're looking for in the least bit. Take the miles and go free agent. Maybe in due time, things will all equal out in the end at some point. We're just players in a much bigger game!

Be Well!
Not my personality. I was offered $500 on the phone when rebooking, would have taken but given my experiences seemed way low. I guess at this point would take that but it's just wrong. Same plane, having two mechanical issues-different ones in two days? I should probably be concerned even flying them.....

Not to mention I've now called twice to get the proper EQMs etc credited, still wrong.....idiots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.