Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate agent upgrades friend / employee over FF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent upgrades friend / employee over FF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Just for the record, a company employee doesn't have to be traveling "non-revenue" to be on a plane. There are an assortment of positive space passes, which allow that person to be placed on the upgrade list and be seated in F before standbys are accommodated.
So AA provides employees instruments that will trump paying elite customers to an F seat!?

Going for great! Bravo AA.

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by enviroian
So AA provides employees instruments that will trump paying elite customers to an F seat!?

Going for great! Bravo AA.

for example, pilots on duty who AA is sending to fly a plane get positive space F ahead of revenue pax pending upgrade.

Going for safe🛫
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
for example, pilots on duty who AA is sending to fly a plane get positive space F ahead of revenue pax pending upgrade.

Going for safe��
I know. I was being overly dramatic to how silly it is and I’m not talking about pilots.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yes you must inform the GA that if you clear the standby you'd like to get on the upgrade list. Hopefully the OP will clarify what he told the GA. Most GA will comply with your wish if there are seats are available. Now the question is should the OP a revenue customer trump an non rever standing by for F?
Pretty sure the OP explained in the original post that they requested to be put back on the upgrade list after they cleared standby and the gate agent said no.
voweffekt likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I know. I was being overly dramatic to how silly it is and I’m not talking about pilots.
Your level of "drama" was minuscule compared to some of the Twitter-Tweeters on this site.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
What are friends for if they not able to do the odd favour like swinging an upgrade?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I've missed something. From where to where is this flight. In my vocabulary "Terminate" and " Annihilate" are synonymous. Rather an extreme reaction?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Nobody is arguing that after clearing standby, one can't be added to the upgrade list. We all understand that.

What is being argued is that once standby pax are cleared, the GA has no obligation to add those cleared pax to the upgrade list. It is up to the pax to ask the GA to be added to the upgrade list but only once pax has Y boarding pass in hand.
OP here.. just to be clear, I did ask again once I was handed my Y boarding pass (was first to clear) The GA said "No" again and mildly reprimanded me about following rules.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Just for the record, a company employee doesn't have to be traveling "non-revenue" to be on a plane. There are an assortment of positive space passes, which allow that person to be placed on the upgrade list and be seated in F before standbys are accommodated.
Agreed. In this case, though, the TVboard and app showed that the upgrade list was fully cleared and a seat was open, even after I received my Y boarding pass when I cleared standby.
The friend got the boarding pass in the middle of Group 1 boarding when the GA stepped over to print it out.

And I probably would have just shrugged it off if I hadn't sat behind the person and heard the crew talking repeatedly about how nice it was to see him in 1st and how lucky he was to get that seat.

Taking the rest of the snacks into the carry on bag was odd and probably an indication of how poorly he was paid. Still, a strange thing to do.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
He just knows it was a woman of some type.
Maybe the (ESA) dog did it. He knows that was a basset hound.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
From the OP's observation its doesn't sound like this employee was flying in F space positive.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:59 am

I am platinum with AA and also know a lot of aa employees. Also, my friend is a res agent with AA.
More times than I can count have I witnessed aa staff flying on STBY, I REPEAT, stby and have seen them not only get a seat but that seat is in business or even, in some more rare cases, in first class. This is when I am on the upgrade list for BC (flying domestic). This is not isolated to any specific city but I do have to ask (AA), why is this happening when my company spends thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars per year on business travel?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, UA1K, AA ExPlat, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hertz PC
This is standard practice in my experience

I am an EP and on multiple occasions (all through DFW), I have been upgraded and then decided to catch an earlier flight. After clearing the standby list on AA, I have NEVER been allowed an upgrade. I have sat on flights with half the first class seats open. The gate agents were aware; the flight attendants were aware. It's just their rules at AA. I have spoken about it with multiple employees. I've learned to accept it. I find many of AA's policies strange. UA has had no problem moving me to an earlier upgraded flight.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trevormct
I am an EP and on multiple occasions (all through DFW), I have been upgraded and then decided to catch an earlier flight. After clearing the standby list on AA, I have NEVER been allowed an upgrade. I have sat on flights with half the first class seats open. The gate agents were aware; the flight attendants were aware. It's just their rules at AA. I have spoken about it with multiple employees. I've learned to accept it. I find many of AA's policies strange. UA has had no problem moving me to an earlier upgraded flight.
You've gotten the short end of the stick IMO. AA certainly can upgrade you after clearing standby. I've only done this one but the agent didn't hesitate at all and asked did we want to redeem stickers from mine or my wife's account. I guess I got lucky, but it really shouldn't be this hard for AA employees to do their jobs.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I’ve done it multiple times. The GAs know it’s SOP. In fact I’ve had GA tell me F is full & they can’t clear me do I still want to go standby?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.