Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so “because of the upcoming program changes”.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclay’s AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AA, EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rumboj

Maybe it is time for someone to reach out to the Office of the President. I have found them to be quite useful (and thorough) when investigating matters and they cover both the Personal and Business divisions.

[email protected]
I sent an e-mail 4 days ago and have received nothing. I would really like to know the story on this.....
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Through a Secure Message received on my Silver Aviator account I was told I could earn 3,000 EQDs on my Business Card and 3,000 EQDs on my Silver/Personal Card in 2019.
I applied for the Business card 5/18, I've had the Silver since shortly after it was first available.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by checkerboard
I've seen a few questions above about the (im)possibility of stacking EQD from the Aviator Silver and the Aviator Business cards - because this would exceed the $6000 EQD maximum earning limit of the former.

However - I haven't seen any conclusive answer to whether it's possible to earn a total of $6000 EQD by spending $25,000 on a (grandfathered) Aviator Red and an equal amount on the Aviator Business card. I missed out on upgrading to the Silver - but have both of these cards. Is there a definitive answer on what to expect?

Obviously, it would be great if I could earn EQD from both of them - though if that's not the case, I'll most certainly cancel one of them. [Since the Business version anyway seems to have best chance of earning EQD into the future, I imagine that's the one I'll keep].
I assume the stacking between business card and silver aviator card isn't allowed, but for those who have had the silver card a couple of years (or take one out now), you only get $3k EQD so the rationale re: it would exceed the $6k EQD limit doesn't come into play, as the stacking would be $3k from silver aviator and $3k from Business card. I don't think there are hard facts about it, but would love some.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 27, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
$75,000 is a lot of money to spend for $6,000 EQDs and ~75,000 RDMs. If you put 75k on a 2% cash back card you’d have $1,500 you could use to rack up some EQDs on a TPAC special or partner fare.
JDiver, ralphs, jinglish and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by donotblink
$75,000 is a lot of money to spend for $6,000 EQDs and ~75,000 RDMs. If you put 75k on a 2% cash back card you’d have $1,500 you could use to rack up some EQDs on a TPAC special or partner fare.
Rather than using my Aviator Silver and applying for Business Silver, guven I’ve not had the Barclaycard for very long and they haven’t given me a high credit limit (compared to other cards I’ve held far longer and have high limits in) I’m just going to cancel mine. My Citi cards give me similar benefits, and I’ll not need the credit card EQD or EQM any longer. Adios, cruel squirrel cage.
Spiff and E55 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JDiver
My Citi cards give me similar benefits...
One feature of the Barclays card which the Citi card lacks is true off line chip and PIN capability which is a must at many European unattended pay kiosks at train stations, parking garages and gas stations.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
One feature of the Barclays card which the Citi card lacks is true off line chip and PIN capability which is a must at many European unattended pay kiosks at train stations, parking garages and gas stations.
Sure, but you can get this with a no-fee card from Barclays like the JetBlue or Ring cards. I am probably about to cancel my Aviator Silver card, but will keep my Arrival+ card since it has pretty good cashback-equivalent for spending categories that don't earn bonuses as well as the proper Chip+PIN implementation. Arrival+ has a $95 annual fee, though.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Rather than using my Aviator Silver and applying for Business Silver, guven I’ve not had the Barclaycard for very long and they haven’t given me a high credit limit (compared to other cards I’ve held far longer and have high limits in) I’m just going to cancel mine. My Citi cards give me similar benefits, and I’ll not need the credit card EQD or EQM any longer. Adios, cruel squirrel cage.
On the other hand, you're getting 10,000 redeemable miles back every year for less than $100, so maybe don't dump the card if you usually redeem 100,000 miles in a calendar year.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The math doesn't work for me - I value my time way too much for a mileage run, and sure, I could just throw $1,500 at AA by buying domestic fares, still would leave me $4,500 EQD short of what I would get the other way, and I still have to spend the same $75k on a credit card. 75,000 RDMs is worth $750 or so to me, so I have to forgo the 75k miles as well as throw $1,500 to AA. To pay for J on the vacations I am taking this year (TATL), the ticket prices are way higher than the $1500 differential (and I need two).I'm still able to get J TATL on partners (IB).

If J was priced at something I could swallow, I'd pay the difference between J and Y out of pocket, but with the flights I take (LAX-MIA) usually pricing out close or above $2k (often for 321 2 class), it seems like poor value.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:12 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Completely agree, this hamster wheel that everyone is obsessed with has gotten way, way out of control.

Regards
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Completely agree, this hamster wheel that everyone is obsessed with has gotten way, way out of control.

Regards
your point is completely different, it seems it’s to become a free agent, which I will likely be doing just because of the rapidly declining value of ExPlat and AAs densification plans.

but the idea that mileage runs make more sense than spending on credit cards seems misplaced for me.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
your point is completely different, it seems it’s to become a free agent, which I will likely be doing just because of the rapidly declining value of ExPlat and AAs densification plans.

but the idea that mileage runs make more sense than spending on credit cards seems misplaced for me.
My point really is the generally observation that people continue to do silly things, which are not necessarily in their economic best interest, due to the weird, emotional obsession with retaining FFP status even though the playing field has drastically changed. And in this particular case, I really wasn't even talking about "free agency" (though I'm a believer in that now too), but rather that $75,000 of credit card spend on AA cards, which grant AAdvantage miles as their reward currency, is absolutely horrible return for said spend. There are far, far better travel rewards for that spend than AA miles.

Regards
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+

Regards
...AA is the leading ‘hamster’ at the moment...chasing status that means less and less and earning miles that mean less and less...

Dropped my Barclay’s AA in December...good riddance...
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
I got the Aviator Red in mid-2018, so I should still be eligible for the 3k EQD for 25k spend. However, the usual progress tracker under rewards & benefits is not showing up -- just the $100 flight discount one. Is anyone else seeing this as well?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:23 pm

My point really is the generally observation that people continue to do silly things, which are not necessarily in their economic best interest, due to the weird, emotional obsession with retaining FFP status even though the playing field has drastically changed. And in this particular case, I really wasn't even talking about "free agency" (though I'm a believer in that now too), but rather that $75,000 of credit card spend on AA cards, which grant AAdvantage miles as their reward currency, is absolutely horrible return for said spend. There are far, far better travel rewards for that spend than AA miles.

Regards
maybe for you but not for me. The opportunity cost is 2% it $1500. If that gives me ex plat without a mileage run (which I've never done, and probably never will), or spending $5k on horribly overpriced j lax-mia flights, seems well worth it.

What would you get from $75k credit card spend that I find compelling? I'm the last one to advocate AAdvantage as a good program, but it works for me, albeit less and less each year.

Last edited by beachfan; Feb 9, 2019 at 6:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.