Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so because of the upcoming program changes.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclays AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by 355F1
I am not seeing a waiver for 2019 for those of us who upgraded to Silver in 2018.

Here is their reply to that question:

​​​​​​Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Ma. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefits on your account.

We apologize for any confusion. The change will not effect the ability to earn up to $6,000.00 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) for 2018. Starting on January 1, 2019 the benefit will change to earning $3,000.00 EQDs for spending $50,000.00.
I upgraded from Red to Silver in March of this year. I just called and, consistent with the reply you received, was told that the new rules going into effect on January 1 apply "across the board to everyone."
If the 10% rebate on awards still holds, I will downgrade to Red next year and keep the card in the drawer that would hold my socks were it not for all the other things in there (except where I need a chip & pin card). If the rebate goes away, too, I will probably close the card, provided that I can find another card with chip and pin. Dutch trains and the Copenhagen metro are too much trouble without one.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I'm a silver card holder and I converted to Silver the summer of this year. I have not received any communication from Barclays about a change in EQD earnings for 2019. Keeping fingers crossed that it will not change till 2020.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:37 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by rfrost
I upgraded from Red to Silver in March of this year. I just called and, consistent with the reply you received, was told that the new rules going into effect on January 1 apply "across the board to everyone."
If the 10% rebate on awards still holds, I will downgrade to Red next year and keep the card in the drawer that would hold my socks were it not for all the other things in there (except where I need a chip & pin card). If the rebate goes away, too, I will probably close the card, provided that I can find another card with chip and pin. Dutch trains and the Copenhagen metro are too much trouble without one.
I got a new reply from a supervisor that I will still earn $6k EQD for $50k spend in 2019.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by 355F1

I got a new reply from a supervisor that I will still earn $6k EQD for $50k spend in 2019.
Thanks. I think I will send a message to them, as I will certainly want this in writing before putting a 2019 dime on the card.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:37 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Thanks. I think I will send a message to them, as I will certainly want this in writing before putting a 2019 dime on the card.
And I will test this when I pay my income taxes on this card in March of next year.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
You should easily be able to see this in your benefits tracker, once the new year rolls around. You should still see the 2 milestones listed.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Current Silver Card holder (just upgraded from Red, a few months ago). I took advantage of the 50k business sign-up offer, in preparation for 2020, and only having to spend 25k, to get the 3k EQD. What's funny, is I just got my card, and on the benefits sheet, that the card was affixed to, it lists LITERALLY every benefit that's on the card website, EXCEPT the 3k EQD w/$25k spend. Odd.

E55 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
FWIW, I called them the last week of Dec and confirmed that I'm still on the EQD 6k program for 2019 and it will change for me in 2020, since I upgraded in Jan/Feb of 2018.

I never received a letter about the changes. She said that since I was not affected this year, it's probably why I didn't receive one.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by deac83
FWIW, I called them the last week of Dec and confirmed that I'm still on the EQD 6k program for 2019 and it will change for me in 2020, since I upgraded in Jan/Feb of 2018.

I never received a letter about the changes. She said that since I was not affected this year, it's probably why I didn't receive one.
Ditto. Opened Red account in Feb 2018; upgraded to Silver in July 2018.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Finally received the notification letter (dated Oct 22nd) of the change for the Silver card - $3K EQD at $50K spend.

States "will communicate new product enhancements in early 2010". I am not expecting much.

The letter just highlights 3 main benefits - 10K EQM at spending levels, 3X on flight and 2X on hotels, and the $100 Global Entry fee.

Will keep for now - like having a PIN card that works at international kiosks. May look more seriously at the Business card.
the enhancement will probably be a coupon mailer every 6 months to valuable customers.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by genotonda
You should easily be able to see this in your benefits tracker, once the new year rolls around. You should still see the 2 milestones listed.
My benefits tracker shows NOTHING about EQDs...
E55 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
I've seen a few questions above about the (im)possibility of stacking EQD from the Aviator Silver and the Aviator Business cards - because this would exceed the $6000 EQD maximum earning limit of the former.

However - I haven't seen any conclusive answer to whether it's possible to earn a total of $6000 EQD by spending $25,000 on a (grandfathered) Aviator Red and an equal amount on the Aviator Business card. I missed out on upgrading to the Silver - but have both of these cards. Is there a definitive answer on what to expect?

Obviously, it would be great if I could earn EQD from both of them - though if that's not the case, I'll most certainly cancel one of them. [Since the Business version anyway seems to have best chance of earning EQD into the future, I imagine that's the one I'll keep].
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by checkerboard
I've seen a few questions above about the (im)possibility of stacking EQD from the Aviator Silver and the Aviator Business cards - because this would exceed the $6000 EQD maximum earning limit of the former.

However - I haven't seen any conclusive answer to whether it's possible to earn a total of $6000 EQD by spending $25,000 on a (grandfathered) Aviator Red and an equal amount on the Aviator Business card. I missed out on upgrading to the Silver - but have both of these cards. Is there a definitive answer on what to expect?

Obviously, it would be great if I could earn EQD from both of them - though if that's not the case, I'll most certainly cancel one of them. [Since the Business version anyway seems to have best chance of earning EQD into the future, I imagine that's the one I'll keep].

Mini-update: I've been in touch with Barclay's about this question. For the Aviator Red card, there was at first some confusion about whether I'd even be able to earn EQD in 2019, but in the end, yes, I'm grandfathered in, so have one last year to avail of the benefit. As for the question of whether or not I'd be able to earn EQD from both the Business Card AND the Aviator Red card, the thought it should be possible, but wasn't sure, and wasn't able to find out for me, because, they said, the Business and the Personal credit divisions are totally distinct. I tried contacting the Business Card division to ask for clarity, but was informed that they also had no clue, and when they tried to transfer me to someone who might know (the Application Department), the call dropped. Grrrr.

I have no idea what to make of this.

Does anyone here have any idea what's what?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Anyone know anything about when the EQD counter will show up on the website? Mine shows the progress toward Companion Cert and progress toward EQM but the third counter is still missing.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
Mini-update: I've been in touch with Barclay's about this question. For the Aviator Red card, there was at first some confusion about whether I'd even be able to earn EQD in 2019, but in the end, yes, I'm grandfathered in, so have one last year to avail of the benefit. As for the question of whether or not I'd be able to earn EQD from both the Business Card AND the Aviator Red card, the thought it should be possible, but wasn't sure, and wasn't able to find out for me, because, they said, the Business and the Personal credit divisions are totally distinct. I tried contacting the Business Card division to ask for clarity, but was informed that they also had no clue, and when they tried to transfer me to someone who might know (the Application Department), the call dropped. Grrrr.

I have no idea what to make of this.

Does anyone here have any idea what's what?
Maybe it is time for someone to reach out to the Office of the President. I have found them to be quite useful (and thorough) when investigating matters and they cover both the Personal and Business divisions.

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.