Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so because of the upcoming program changes.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclays AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:41 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Approved for Red Oct 2017.

Upgraded to Silver Mar 2018.

Do I get $6k EQD for $50k spend in 2019.....???
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Well, this is just a fun week. First is the hit on Admirals club memberships which affects Citi card holders and now this rumor which affects Barclay card holders.

The hits just keep on coming.
Dougy is always trying to play catchup. I mean, how is Delta's stock performing so well? It must be the change to the EQD waiver on the Amex, and that Skyclubs are tied to same-day tickets. It can't have anything to do with on-time performance, IFE, or more comfortable economy cabins, or the crew.

Okay snark aside, maybe someone is trying to improve the experience for the elites and lounge guests, rather than seeing the CC perks as liabilities. Maybe.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JonNYC
If things ever so go horribly awry that I do need to get a job, it certainly wouldn't be at AA
Who would suggest such a preposterous notion? It wouldnt be at American Airlines but rather American Eagle

Originally Posted by Gig103
...maybe someone is trying to improve the experience for the elites and lounge guests, rather than seeing the CC perks as liabilities. Maybe.
What you say is blasphemy. In the old days of flying you would be sent to work at a remote outstation in the middle of nowhere just for this sort of thinking. Today things have changed and you might be sent to labor for Delta for thinking about the customer experience

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 23, 2018 at 6:34 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Antarius
I mean, several insiders seem to have the scoop on things long before any official publication..
My problem is the story claims this:
Well, American has just announced that they’re devaluing the ability to earn EQDs through credit card spend as of 2019.
Who did they announce this news to? Other than this single source (and this thread on FT), I see nothing about it. Doing a Google news search on, "American Airlines Barclay Card," doesn't even bring up this source.
Conversely, doing a Google news search for, "Austin water," brings up multiple news sources for the boil advisory that the City of Austin issued yesterday (been all over our news yesterday).

I'd expect an, "announcement," to be just that. Nowhere in the article do they claim that this is an inside source.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
This is not significant. But you did get my point.
Not significant? I earned about 12K MQD this year flying on DL partner tickets with only around $3K of spend on them. How is that not significant?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JDiver
Member enoremiere posts
I humbly accept my new FT username.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gig103
Dougy is always trying to play catchup. I mean, how is Delta's stock performing so well? It must be the change to the EQD waiver on the Amex, and that Skyclubs are tied to same-day tickets. It can't have anything to do with on-time performance, IFE, or more comfortable economy cabins, or the crew.

Okay snark aside, maybe someone is trying to improve the experience for the elites and lounge guests, rather than seeing the CC perks as liabilities. Maybe.
Love this. But no amount of lounge guest reductions or EXP-rank thinning will make up for the rotten service provided by AA and many of their employees.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enpremiere
I humbly accept my new FT username.
No! Resist! (I corrected it - recorrected, since the original was crafted by my tablet autpcowrecked).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:09 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
TPG is reporting this too.

Idk why so many of you are arguing that this cant be true since the bloggers announced it first.

Are they usually wrong about enhancements like this????? I think their track record is pretty good.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 355F1
Idk why so many of you are arguing that this cant be true since the bloggers announced it first.
They aren't arguing that.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by 355F1
TPG is reporting this too.

Idk why so many of you are arguing that this can’t be true since the bloggers announced it first.

Are they usually wrong about enhancements like this????? I think their track record is pretty good.

Gary Leff also has a story about it here:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...gh-card-spend/

What is odd is that they all are quoting from an, "announcement," from an unnamed source, when such an announcement cannot be found anywhere. In this source, Gary actually has a box with a quote from that source, yet there is nothing from AA or Barclay's anywhere.

When JonNYC posts about upcoming changes, he specifies that these are in the pipeline, forthcoming, or otherwise that they aren't official announcements (yet).

I'm not doubting anything, but I'd like to see the official announcement that these sources are quoting, and concerned that it hasn't been shared with customers but has been shared elsewhere.

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 23, 2018 at 11:05 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
My read on the situation is this might be an alternative to AA raising EQD requirements for 2020 status levels. I can only imagine AA raised the price of the EQDs bought by Barclays US and Barclays had to say it couldn't do it anymore based on the profitability of the card. Perhaps the credit card group AA members was one of the only major groups who could have lower actual spend, but still obtain status?

However, I am unsure on what Barclays could offer as a new benefit. If they don't have something to immediately announce, then it appears the price increase of the purchased EQDs was not something they expected. The fact they have this almost year window to allow EQD accrual on existing cardholders is a graceful situation (and maybe removes the need to better publicize the change).

Or maybe they need to figure out that replacement benefit before they email the cardholders...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Can you stack the EQD from silver sviator and Barclays aasvantage business card?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Hi Collective Wisdom:

Just finished text chat with Barclay (2:15PM CDT). They will not let me upgrade to Silver from Red because of the upcoming program changes.

Cheers,
DocD
355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DocD
Hi Collective Wisdom:

Just finished text chat with Barclay (2:15PM CDT). They will not let me upgrade to Silver from Red because of the upcoming program changes.

Cheers,
DocD
Ugh! So AA says you could have, Barclaycard says you cant.

Thanks for adding to the collective wisdom. We dont slay the messenger here.
GTITAN and enpremiere like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.