Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so “because of the upcoming program changes”.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclay’s AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JDiver
We don’t slay the messenger here.
Not always at least . That's why I use timid fonts.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The complaint calls are starting to roll into Barclays......apparently their phone reps just found all of this out as well.
GTITAN and txpenny like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
The complaint calls are starting to roll into Barclays......apparently their phone reps just found all of this out as well.
I sent a secure message through the online portal to them that if they make this change, I will most likely cancel the card. Just one person doing it won't make a difference, but if enough do, then maybe there can be some traction.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by GNRMatt; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:57 pm Reason: grammatical
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
What about the, "announcement," that it seems like only bloggers received? Was that not shared with their own employees beforehand?

I sent a secure message through the Barclay's system asking for the announcement so that I can review my options. We'll see if/when I receive anything.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I sent a secure message through the online portal to them that if they make this change, I will most likely cancel the card. Just one person doing it won't make a difference, but if enough do, then maybe there can be some traction.
Added my similar message to the pile of complaints.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I got Red and upgraded to Silver during 2018, so I assume I'll be immune during 2019.

The EQM's are still the same I assume, since no one has mentioned a change there.

I had been under the impression that the most EQD you could get from CC's was $6K, so I didn't worry about having a second card. But under the new rules, if you get the Barclay's biz card and spend $25K, could you get $3K EQD from each of the Silver (with $50K spend) and the Biz (with $25K spend)?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
I happened to be logged in to the Barclay's web site today, so I checked the benefits listed for my silver card, and the $6K EQD benefit is still listed.

So if this change is happening, it's being rolled out with an almost Marriott level of incompetence.
JDiver and thorofare like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Can you stack the EQD from silver sviator and Barclays aasvantage business card?
My question as well.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by 236Dakota

My question as well.
Yes.

But they will only grant a maximum of $6k EQDs TOTAL.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by taxatty56
Added my similar message to the pile of complaints.
I sent in a complaint to Barclaycard as well. Since there has been no formal announcement yet, hopefully they will reconsider (although I highly doubt that).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Ironic as I called Barclays about 6 weeks ago asking for an upgrade from red to silver. I have impeccable credit and don't churn credit cards, but they refused me. IF (and that's a big "if") they make these changes I'll simply cancel the card. The red card isn't worth it without the EQDs. There are numerous cards out there that provide much better return on spend than a red card without EQDs.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by 355F1
Yes.

But they will only grant a maximum of $6k EQDs TOTAL.
I would beg to differ until we get more info, the business cards T&Cs state the following,

" The Signing Individual may earn $3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars ("EQDs") after spending $25,000 in net purchases that post to the card account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. A Signing Individual may earn the maximum $3,000 EQDs per calendar year through the card account, unless the Signing Individual has already earned the maximum number of EQDs through other AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards."

I hope not, but one could argue the cap is not at 3k total. We don't know the MAX number of EDQs yet.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:13 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by msr0013
I sent in a complaint to Barclaycard as well. Since there has been no formal announcement yet, hopefully they will reconsider (although I highly doubt that).
I sent in s complaint today. I’ll post when they reply.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by j1194
I would beg to differ until we get more info, the business cards T&Cs state the following,

" The Signing Individual may earn $3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars ("EQDs") after spending $25,000 in net purchases that post to the card account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. A Signing Individual may earn the maximum $3,000 EQDs per calendar year through the card account, unless the Signing Individual has already earned the maximum number of EQDs through other AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards."

I hope not, but one could argue the cap is not at 3k total. We don't know the MAX number of EDQs yet.
i thought they were asking about the current situation.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by garykung
This is not significant. But you did get my point.
It is actually quite significant. I earned $3200 MQD on a 900$ W ticket with China Southern.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.