Search

OAK IROPS and assorted musings yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
OAK IROPS and assorted musings yesterday

I was scheduled to fly back to DFW on 890 yesterday at 11:42. It's the only non stop to OAK and back and shares the same flight number. Anyway at 11 AM guy gets on the horn and says there is a mechanical delay and will update in 10 minutes. 25 minutes later he comes back on to say another 10 minutes to an update. I know by experience that the outcome in this situation is generally not favorable. First I look at EF to see what the schedule and availability is like for me to get home. Bam....flight via phx leaves OAK in 30 minutes. I then call the EXP line and get double booked just in case 890 leaves soon. Boarding comes up for the PHX bound CR9 and I have to make a calculated decision so I saw the agent and had her cancel the non stop mx delayed flight and check me into the phx flight and got upgraded too. Guy next to me at the gate says "you got on this flight? I called AA and I'm an EXP and she said she couldn't double book me". I told him to HUCA immediately. He didn't know what that meant. By the time he called again there were no seats left on either leg.

Landed in PHX just a little late and haven't been back since I moved a year ago. I was surprised to AF1 there not to mention a C-5 Galaxy and an AF liviered 752 there too.

I landed at B21 and ran over to A30 and they were already on zone 5. I had seat 25A () a non MCE seat in the back. I was happy to be on a 752 as honestly I can't remember ever seeing one at DFW. Are they there?? Can I assume I was on an ex HP bird?

Ended up landing at 7:45 PM, 2.5 hours behind schedule. 890 did eventually take off 3 hours later and was only 25 minutes in the air behind my 752 so not that bad. I'd rather be stuck at a hub like phx than an outlier station like Oakland in case something happened.

It was also nice to see the beautiful BA One World liveried 744 at it's B gate. I passed a big sign saying "coming soon two BA flights a day" or something similar to that. With AA's non stop to LHR coming soon that's nice to see that capacity there. I also saw a Condor poster announcing upcoming service to FRA.

Just another day in the world of flying AA
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by enviroian; Oct 20, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Just for Info, I understand that the 2nd BA flight will no longer operate next year ( it was seasonal this year) as AA is adding their flight. BA's flight will still be daily.

Regards

TBS
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by enviroian
Just another day in the world of flying AA
Glad everything worked out well.

The folks at the EXP line can be amazing!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:39 pm

I was hoping the whole time this story would have involved a dead hooker and a donkey
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I was hoping the whole time this story would have involved a dead hooker and a donkey
Try the Match thread lol
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
CHairman's club agents more and more running EXP AA Desk

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Glad everything worked out well.

The folks at the EXP line can be amazing!
They can be. But for me it is a once or twice experience. Last night I spent 45 minutes having them ticket a typical, round trip (not multi-city) reservation. This is more my experience, unfortunately. In answer to what I believe was the original question, I probably spent 7K or more this year, and I am retired, for my EXP status (which gives me 4 SWU's rather than 8). I am truly thinking as much as I like the admittedly 50% of the (main) benefit, is it rational? For me, it is becoming less and less. I have several friends in Canada which use UA due to the fact that if you live in Canada you don't need to meet the $12,000 spend. I HATE domestic first class (not transcon LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK, but those trips are practically impossible to upgrade.) It is an uncomfortable seat with a poor food service. I just finished a trip from LAX-MIA round trip with continuation to SDQ, and the waitlist for upgrades on a 777-200 was 30+ on each transcon leg. I knew enough not to even try. I figured out another way (snagged C class on a day or two before I would have actually flown, but was worth it to me to be confirmed in Business, and on the. way back I purchased a discount I class business, which featured no entertainment system for 95% of the plane. Isn't this something they might have checked PRIOR to flight?) At any rate, I am not sure I will be redoing this. Sorry for this long comment. RR

Also, once the Chairman's club USAir people took an 8-12-week course, which many of them paid ZERO attention to, the service at t eh Executive Platinum desk took a SHARP turn for the worse. Why couldn’t those people get 6 months experience on the Platinum or Platinum pro desk prior to servicing the Executive Platinum people? We may not spend $50K/year (which I hear is necessary to become Concierge Key, the new EXP), we still fly 100,000 BIS miles and spend a minimal of 12,000. I have never asked for an exception to their requalification requirements, and would be afraid to. Easier to take a bunch of short mileage runs. It's just so sad to see the airline I loved go SO FAR DOWN.

Last edited by rodsren; Oct 21, 2018 at 12:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.