FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1936203-admirals-club-rates-increased-new-restrictions-1-nov-2019-a.html)

gmt4 Oct 17, 2018 9:42 am

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

3 Attachment(s)
Looks like AA just changed its policy today to specify that as of 1 Nov 19 you must be on a same day AA or partner flight for AC access. Clearly a downgrade meant to curb crowding at certain locations. Also increased membership costs in $$, but decreased mileage cost.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp

cplush Oct 17, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by gmt4 (Post 30324875)
Looks like AA just changed its policy today to specify that as of 1 Nov 18 you must be on a same day AA or partner flight for AC access. Clearly a downgrade meant to curb crowding at certain locations. Also increased membership costs in $$, but decreased mileage cost.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp

its November 1, 2019 but yes, seriously devaluation of access and especially the citi executive card.

kahdgar Oct 17, 2018 11:33 am

Certainly makes membership less worth it for a non AA-exclusive flyer. Would need to have multiple club memberships if you fly through a lot of airports or use multiple airlines. Seems kind of silly, seeing as it is a membership club and not a frequent flyer benefit. I imagine pulling credit card fee memberships would have a similar effect, but wouldn't devalue overall membership. Anyway, I'm sure they've thought it through and those that choose not to retain won't hit that bottom dollar as much as we think.

Catbert10 Oct 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by cplush (Post 30325272)
its November 1, 2019 but yes, seriously devaluation of access and especially the citi executive card.

Serious devaluation of the AA membership value, I agree. However, getting club membership for $450/year is cheaper than the outright cash price.

GTITAN Oct 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Normally, I tend to be in the AA fanboy camp and tend to take it easy on them, but I agree this is a serious devaluation. Perhaps, they will walk this back.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 17, 2018 2:26 pm

I would have thought that airline lounges were initially another method of securing loyalty. When entrance to an airline lounge becomes based upon having that credit card or this credit card does that result in less loyalty? It would be interesting to see any data that might have been collected.

abk Oct 17, 2018 2:44 pm

I wonder if the Citi card will go up in price when you look at the spread between a family membership or even a single membership versus the $450 card cost.

jtav559 Oct 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by abk (Post 30326029)
I wonder if the Citi card will go up in price when you look at the spread between a family membership or even a single membership versus the $450 card cost.

Keep in mind that AA makes money on AA Exec card users, beyond the annual card fee through Citi.
AA sells miles to Citi (albeit at a bulk rate), but they likely know the average card holder spends X and that will generate Y revenue by selling miles to Citi to award for purchases by cardholders.

If AA sells miles at $0.005 per mile (just a guess as to what Citi gets them for), and the cardholder spends $40k in a year (thereby maxing our card benefits by virtue of spending), AA stands to make an add'l $200 on that card user, in addition to the $450 annual fee - which I estimate AA gets $400 of after Citi takes their management cut. So, $600 in revenue from an AA exec cardholder, is more or less the same as the basic single Admirals club membership. Plus the related revenues from actual airfare purchases likely made by the same cardholder if they are an AA elite, which I would guess a fair majority of the AA exec cardholders are at one level or another.

They have guys and gals that analyze and crunch the financial data on this stuff all day long - they know what they will make on a single cardholder (+/- 1 std deviation, of course ;))

Tanic Oct 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Anyone know if this policy change will affect lifetime AC cardholders?

genotonda Oct 17, 2018 10:29 pm

In the fine print, in regard to same day flight (or flight the next day before 6am), it says, "non-revenue passengers aren't eligible."

Does that mean that an employee who paid for an AC membership, can never utilize the lounge if they are flying non-rev? If so, that sucks.

StirredNotShaken Oct 18, 2018 1:18 am

Originally Posted by genotonda (Post 30327264)
In the fine print, in regard to same day flight (or flight the next day before 6am), it says, "non-revenue passengers aren't eligible."

Does that mean that an employee who paid for an AC membership, can never utilize the lounge if they are flying non-rev? If so, that sucks.

It doesn’t suck as much as someone who pays for an AC membership (either cash or through the Citi Executive card) and is barred from entering the club because they’re flying JetBlue or Southwest that day.

This sucks hard. AA couldn’t drive memberships away any easier. I wonder if their management is deliberately trying to ruin the airline - on the phone, in the air, and now at the terminal.

JDiver Oct 18, 2018 9:14 am

Admirals Club rates increasing, new restrictions: 2019

1 Attachment(s)
Gary Leff (View from The Boarding Area) also shares information about Admirals Club membership changes coming in 2019, including $100 annual member fee increases as of 1 February 2019, as well as the elimination of household memberships. Later, you’ll have to proffer a same day boarding pass on AA, AS or oneworld partner airline even if you’re a member. Link.

American Airlines is raising prices of Admirals Club membership by $100 per year effective February 1. At the same time they’re reducing the mileage cost of membership — that’s still too expensive, though, since they’ll ‘only’ be giving you 1 cent per mile in value using miles to pay for membership. (Today’s mileage pricing is even worse.)

They are also eliminating household membership discounts. Adding a spouse as a member will be just buying them their own membership starting February 1.

With these changes the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® becomes an even better relative value. The card comes with Admirals Club membership. It also lets you add up to 10 authorized cardmembers at no additional annual fee, and each can access lounges themselves with up to 2 guests.
You can renew at the old rates up to four months ahead, and this makes membership via the Citi AAdvantage Executive Card at $450 even more of a bargain.

As well, “effective November 1, 2019 same-day boarding passes on American Airlines, oneworld partner airlines, or Alaska Airlines will be required for entry.”

Chart from Gary Leff

fotographer Oct 18, 2018 9:41 am

Well its a good thing I have used expiring AABusiness points to buy around 10 passes, when either my wife or I or my friends travel AA domestically
(had a membership for 4 years, was not worth to renew, because most of my travel is international)

ORD-DCA Flyer Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am

I am okay with these changes as long as Alaska remains a partner, which it is indicated to be.

Price increases aren't the best, but it's clear that costs have gone up with all of the food now on offer in the clubs. Gone are the days of just snack towers!

enviroian Oct 18, 2018 9:59 am

I knew those turkey meatballs come at a price.

I wonder if my Citi executive card membership fee will increase to match these prices. I hope not.