Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if theyre flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guests AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum

The only Admirals Club that I think this might affect is Atlanta, where Delta has a few flights in the same terminal as AA. Houston IAH, the United flights are quite far from the Admirals Club. I doubt that this change will lessen the crowds in any significant way.

And, yes, the lounges have become much more crowded since the Citibank credit card access was introduced.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by fastflyer

The only Admirals Club that I think this might affect is Atlanta, where Delta has a few flights in the same terminal as AA. Houston IAH, the United flights are quite far from the Admirals Club. I doubt that this change will lessen the crowds in any significant way.

And, yes, the lounges have become much more crowded since the Citibank credit card access was introduced.
These new rules (at DL too) will be painful for me at DCA.....once there is a common security checkpoint for all of the piers/concourses, I won't be able to use the SkyClub if flying AA (did not renew my SC membership recently) and vice versa and I am typically going back and forth between DL & AA at DCA for various reasons. Guess it's time to finally get the AmEx Platinum card so I'm covered.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I think at ORD other than the International terminals the concourses are connected. SFO you could access the AC flying certain other airlines. I believe there's an inter terminal train at DEN similar to ATL. CLT all concourses are connected. RDU you could fly DL and I think WN and still use the AC, AUS ditto. There may be a few more airports in which using the AC is quite possible with a connection of 75 minutes or longer.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think at ORD other than the International terminals the concourses are connected. SFO you could access the AC flying certain other airlines. I believe there's an inter terminal train at DEN similar to ATL. CLT all concourses are connected. RDU you could fly DL and I think WN and still use the AC, AUS ditto. There may be a few more airports in which using the AC is quite possible with a connection of 75 minutes or longer.
At RDU it's every airline except WN. I frequently use the AC when I'm flying United or Frontier. To add to your list there's also SNA which is a single terminal with only one other lounge (United), STL where American has the only lounge and DCA with some B6 flights.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
At RDU it's every airline except WN. I frequently use the AC when I'm flying United or Frontier. To add to your list there's also SNA which is a single terminal with only one other lounge (United), STL where American has the only lounge and DCA with some B6 flights.
At least DCA has a priority pass restaurant. I went to it last time I was there and had some extra time to kill--it's behind the United security pier, so I had to go through security twice, but I was able to get a ton of food for free!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by fastflyer

The only Admirals Club that I think this might affect is Atlanta...
Just off the top of my head, the new restrictions will affect members flying other airlines at least at the following domestic locations (possibly more): ATL, AUS, DCA, DEN, DFW, IAH, ORD, LAX, MCO, SNA
Daze likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Just off the top of my head, the new restrictions will affect members flying other airlines at least at the following domestic locations (possibly more): ATL, AUS, DCA, DEN, DFW, IAH, ORD, LAX, MCO, SNA
Yep, we're in AUS and primarly AA, but have on occasion used it for WN, UA, DL, and Alaska (but that will still work). I don't complain about too many changes, they are what they are, and my complaining has little impact. However, with this one, we are seriously considering whether to renew the AA Exec card when it comes due in March. Normally, we get great value out of the membership and don't really scrutinize the cost. However, we are also beginning to "play the field" this year with other airlines, given the EQD requirements with AA. So, if I can't use my home lounge for say 50% of my flights then not sure if we'll renew or not.

I'm as frustrated as anyone about the crowding in lounges, but I can't envision that on any given day the number of club members using the lounge when flying a non-AA airline could be very high, but maybe its more than I thought.

Regards
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Let's get our facts straight:

Access requirements and eligibility information:

A valid United Club membership card and boarding pass for same-day travel

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

United does not require that the boarding pass be on UA or a partner. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Says now that beginning Nov. 1, 2019 you must have a boarding pass for same day travel on United or Star Alliance partner. So they have decided to follow AA on having to fly the airline on the day you want to use the club.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
I'm AUS based and fly everyone but have the AA world eite card and use the AC often as there is only 1 small(ish) terminal so it's easy. DL is opening a lounge here soon but like UA they will be restricted to their own airlines/alliances. No priority pass or Centurion lounge. I will definitely drop the card and AC membership at my next renewal. Hopefully another option will magically appear by Nov. I'd pay a fair amount ($1k?) for lounge access in AUS when flying anyone.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rayfes
I'd pay a fair amount ($1k?) for lounge access in AUS when flying anyone.
I find value in club membership, but $1K, yea... no.

Regards
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Flight changes

To me the main benefit to the AC is if I need help with a flight and when I am traveling with my family. Help with a flight in the AC is only useful if traveling on American do the change doesn't bother me from that perspective. Do you know if they will limit guests? I love taking my kids in to get the crappy snacks (seriously, they love it!). Maybe I just missed whether they are changing that?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Louiskie
To me the main benefit to the AC is if I need help with a flight and when I am traveling with my family. Help with a flight in the AC is only useful if traveling on American do the change doesn't bother me from that perspective. Do you know if they will limit guests? I love taking my kids in to get the crappy snacks (seriously, they love it!). Maybe I just missed whether they are changing that?
There already is a limit on guests; theres been no indication that would change.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I'll not give up my CitiExec card (wife carries too) but am disappointed I will no longer have access to the AC at LHR if flying VS in Premium Economy. That was a good combo while it lasted.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Plat
I just got my annual $450 Executive Card renewal charge today. I called Citi and asked if the terms of AC lounge access with the card were changing. The agent said that the Bank had not been made aware of any changes for 2019. I also did not get notice of any changes on my ccard statement. It still says "Your American Airlines Admirals Club membership gets you in the door at more that 50 comfortable lounge locations worldwide so you can relax and unwind while you're waiting for your flight." Pretty scammy if there are indeed changes starting Nov 1, 2019.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I just got my annual $450 Executive Card renewal charge today. I called Citi and asked if the terms of AC lounge access with the card were changing. The agent said that the Bank had not been made aware of any changes for 2019. I also did not get notice of any changes on my ccard statement. It still says "Your American Airlines Admirals Club membership gets you in the door at more that 50 comfortable lounge locations worldwide so you can relax and unwind while you're waiting for your flight." Pretty scammy if there are indeed changes starting Nov 1, 2019.
I doubt they're going to have credit card holders get in without an AA flight, and regular members require an AA flight for entrance. Seems like that would be a recipe for a lot of arguments. But then again maybe they *really really* want to push credit cards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.