Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by dgoedken
... it seems unnecessarily punitive, especially since they are upping the cost to families, which are the ones which seem to take the most toll on the club (imo - kids running around, stacking up plates and never finishing the food, etc) ...
Perhaps I'm mis-reading your intent, but I don't think this is accurate.

Families traveling with an AC member infrequently aren't going to be affected by this at all--the access rules allow "Immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18) or up to 2 guests" and there is no indication this will change. As to said families' ability (or inability) to behave in a fashion considerate of others, my experience has been that this is an exception rather than a rule and also varies culturally according to where you are/where the family is from.

My perception is that discounted Spouse/Domestic Partner memberships are (or were) aimed at couples that both travel frequently but often separately--the 2-for-1.8 (roughly) discounted membership was a reasonable approach to inducing folks to buy a second membership at a discount when they might not otherwise have done so (didn't think it was worth it, spouse/partner mostly used a different airline, etc.). Anyway it worked on us, but we're sure as heck not going to pay 1.6 times what we used to for the same membership with fewer clubs (nevermind it is actually more expensive to get/renew a household membership in the new pricing scheme than to get two individual memberships).

I *may* get the Citi card just for the club membership but am unlikely to charge a dime more than the annual fee depending on what ends up happening with the Aviator Silver card next year.

I can't figure out what AA's end-game is, but this just doesn't make sense to me--in my case, it is driving me to spend less with AA/it's credit card partners. I always had the feeling USAir was really focused on corporate travelers rather than individuals/small companies--maybe that's where they're going with this? Focus best product/experience on big-spenders/largest revenue source and fill in the empty space with bottom-dollar steerage-level service?

Last edited by AAir_head; Oct 30, 2018 at 10:46 am Reason: ranting on...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Let's get our facts straight:

Access requirements and eligibility information:

A valid United Club membership card and boarding pass for same-day travel

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

United does not require that the boarding pass be on UA or a partner. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
If you are flying another non-star alliance carrier you cannot access the UA lounge.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
A boarding pass is required, but any airline.

UC Rules
Incorrect. For example, if you are a UA Club member and flying AA you cannot get access to the UA club lounge. Now, they may not check your boarding pass and you might get overlooked, but if they ask and you show them an AA boarding pass, you will not be allowed into the club.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by peterk814
Incorrect. For example, if you are a UA Club member and flying AA you cannot get access to the UA club lounge. Now, they may not check your boarding pass and you might get overlooked, but if they ask and you show them an AA boarding pass, you will not be allowed into the club.
Let's get our facts straight:
  • United reserves the right to limit access and only allow entry to members with a same-day boarding pass. All United Club customers, including members, are eligible to access United Club locations only when they have a flight arriving or departing on any airline the same day, and must show a boarding pass for entry.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ges/rules.html
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
Citi Exec Card Fee Change

I have had this card for 5 years. It was useful for me until I received lifetime gold status..although that has been devalued recently. Nonetheless less I am a leisure traveler so it is unlikely I will ever rise to Platinum status in any given year. I am also a solo traveler so no benefit there for a spouse accompanying me. Like many here I have preferred to spend my layover time in the lounge over the years.

I just called Citi and spoke to rep to clarify any fee change relative to seeing the post with the chart for fees. Looking at it it says Citi’s Exec fee will increase as of 2/19.

The Citi rep double-checked and said “yes - it is being increased to $550. For that reason... I’m out.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by nalismom
I have had this card for 5 years. It was useful for me until I received lifetime gold status..although that has been devalued recently. Nonetheless less I am a leisure traveler so it is unlikely I will ever rise to Platinum status in any given year. I am also a solo traveler so no benefit there for a spouse accompanying me. Like many here I have preferred to spend my layover time in the lounge over the years.

I just called Citi and spoke to rep to clarify any fee change relative to seeing the post with the chart for fees. Looking at it it says Citi’s Exec fee will increase as of 2/19.

The Citi rep double-checked and said “yes - it is being increased to $550. For that reason... I’m out.
Other than what the Citi phone rep said, is there any other evidence of a fee increase? Citi and AA websites still show $450.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
If there is a price increase that is really awful.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I have had this card for 5 years. It was useful for me until I received lifetime gold status..<snip>
I'll bite; what is the correlation between a card whose primary benefit is Admiral's Club access and achieving lifetime gold status (which provides zero lounge access)?

Regards
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN
If there is a price increase that is really awful.

Safe Travels
Honestly, given the trajectory that AA is on lately, I'll be shocked if the annual fee for this card does not increase, but if it went up $100, it will certainly give me pause on renewing, given upcoming access changes.

Regards
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
If you are flying another non-star alliance carrier you cannot access the UA lounge.
NovaEngr and Bonehead are both 100% correct: if you are flying AA (or *any* carrier) and are a UC Club member, you absolutely can access the UC.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:41 pm

Because before I achieved LGS ...the 10000 EqM’s with the 40k spend were enough to allow me to make Gold for several years until I hit lifetime status due to MMP. The AC membership was a plus.

Last edited by nalismom; Oct 30, 2018 at 7:48 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by scubadu
Honestly, given the trajectory that AA is on lately, I'll be shocked if the annual fee for this card does not increase, but if it went up $100, it will certainly give me pause on renewing, given upcoming access changes.

Regards
Don't disagree in the least my friend. Always appreciate your voice!

Safe Travels
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:44 pm

Post # 12 by JDiver has a chart from Gary Leff citing the current and future fees for every category of AC membership including Citi Exec Card
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:16 pm

Post # 12 by JDiver has a chart from Gary Leff citing the current and future fees for every category of AC membership including Citi Exec Card
But that chart doesn’t reference the Citi Executive card. It does note an increase for Executive Platinum members (the status) from $450 to $550. Were you thinking of that?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:20 pm

Because before I achieved LGS ...the 10000 EqM’s with the 40k spend were enough to allow me to make Gold for several years until I hit lifetime status due to MMP. The AC membership was a plus.
Fair enough. Personally there is just no way I'd put $40K in spend on an AA card, when there are far, far more valuable travel currencies out that and I most definitely wouldn't do it to earn Gold (a higher tier perhaps), but to each their on I suppose...

Regards
Teckelspass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.