Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dll
I do this frequently, as well, particularly if I'm heading straight from the airport to a dinner or to a meeting. I'll just grab a large snack and drink then get on my way. I don't see anything in their language that would suggest this won't be permissible after the change, so long as you've arrived on an AA flight.

I do not like that they buried this rather significant change to the membership program inside an email that has sustainability as a lead story. Glad they're doing what they need to help our planet. It does not soften my disappointment that they're stripping the membership down. Also of note: they've closed Hartford, Greensboro and Caracas (perhaps that was known to others here).
I confirmed with them that you CAN enter the lounge at your arrival airport as long as you flew on an eligible flight that day and you do not need to get back through security.

jtav559 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I confirmed with them that you CAN enter the lounge at your arrival airport as long as you flew on an eligible flight that day and you do not need to get back through security.

This is good if it does indeed continue. If I have a checked bag coming back to AUS (due to transporting liquids), I often stop in at the AC to use the restroom, grab a drink, before heading downstairs to grab my luggage.
TheDudeAbides and rayfes like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I think people are missing a HUGE reason to have the Exec card besides AC membership: 10,000 EQM (yes, EQM) for $40,000 spend.
Typically, I use this card for AC access for me and 4 AUs. I will rally this month and spend an additional 15K as an additional 10K EQM will result in 2 more SWUs.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
This is good if it does indeed continue. If I have a checked bag coming back to AUS (due to transporting liquids), I often stop in at the AC to use the restroom, grab a drink, before heading downstairs to grab my luggage.
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I wonder how many folks head to the AC after coming off a trans-con or red-eye, without a continuing flight. I have hit the AC in ORD and DFW numerous time post red-eye to shower and grab a cup of coffee before getting out to the rental car desk.

I would imagine it is a good percentage of AC members who are on those flights, who then utilize the club after arrival.

A change in that ability would be a huge blow for the business travelers who count on that benefit to freshen up before meetings in the morning.
naswi and TheDudeAbides like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL
New restrictions on members are ridiculous

According to the rules you must have a same day boarding pass (not necessary on the arriving airport), if you arrive the next day, you are technically out of luck...

I have a paid membership which auto renewed for the past several years, I'm going to turn autorenew off today. It looks to me this is a move to push the credit card revenue stream, even if they devaluete CC holders in the process. AA figured they have current CC holders captive because of limited options and want to get new ones, with a worse deal... I already limit my AA spending after reaching EXP. Since loyalty or membership means nothing to AA, now more than ever, I'll use them as a comodity and actively look for better deals after 100K AA miles...

Last edited by DBOS; Oct 23, 2018 at 12:07 pm Reason: Used quick reply and was not linked to the original text
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
These new restrictions hurt me a lot. I'm based at RDU and fly a lot of United (who has no lounge at RDU) and occasionally Frontier. I have the Citi Executive card so I always have a lounge at my home airport. I don't mind access restrictions but if you're paying for a lounge membership you shouldn't be limited on what airline you're flying to use the lounge you're paying for. Consolidation sucks.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Just a heads up, if you have a Citi AAdvantage card of any type, you can in most cases switch the type to the executive card which will grant you access to the Admirals Club for $450 without needing to apply for a new CC. If you already have an AC membership, they will give you a pro-rated refund. Also, Citi will give you a pro-rated refund of the existing card type's annual fee.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
[QUOTE=AAdamE;30347531] If you already have an AC membership, they will give you a pro-rated refund. /QUOTE]

The will not give lifetime members a pro-rated refund, nor a discount on the credit card fee.
Cannonball Run likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Originally Posted by genotonda
In the fine print, in regard to same day flight (or flight the next day before 6am), it says, "non-revenue passengers aren't eligible."

Does that mean that an employee who paid for an AC membership, can never utilize the lounge if they are flying non-rev? If so, that sucks.
The non-rev restriction is tied to access by virtue of cabin (J/F) and NOT tied to access by membership by reading and seeing where the fine print is associated with. This is not a change in non-rev access policy for Admirals Clubs members beyond the general access changes for everyone.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Delta has had the same policy RE access predicated on flying Delta the same day. Once again, Discount Doug follows the crowd, late as usual.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danwriter
Delta has had the same policy RE access predicated on flying Delta the same day. Once again, Discount Doug follows the crowd, late as usual.
While likely a copy of DL, the DL policy does not actually go into effect until Jan 1. Currently, members can enter SC's with same-day ticket on any airline. You are perhaps confusing SC member entry rules with the Amex Plat/DL Reserve Amex entry rules.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Originally Posted by genotonda
In the fine print, in regard to same day flight (or flight the next day before 6am), it says, "non-revenue passengers aren't eligible."

Does that mean that an employee who paid for an AC membership, can never utilize the lounge if they are flying non-rev? If so, that sucks.
Where did you see that? I hope this is not the case. AA actively markets AC memberships to its employees, as well as through its Citi Exec card.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I also received a response from Admirals Club customer service indicating that arrival access would be permitted, including when it is a red eye and the boarding pass would technically be from the previous day.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
The will not give lifetime members a pro-rated refund, nor a discount on the credit card fee.
Interesting. Chase gives the UA lifetime club members their Presidential Plus Card for $100/year. At least they did under CO and I'm still getting it for that price, many years later. I find it well worth it for the travel insurance/benefits the card provides.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
"Same day boarding pass" and "same day travel" technically are different; if I depart on a redeye on 11/1 (say) and arrive on 11/2 and want to enter an AC on 11/2 I do NOT have a bp dated 11/2 even though I FLEW on 11/2--or am I getting too technical re the new rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.