Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OskiBear
The irony of this is that I will never actually need to have my Citi Exec card on hand since it's linked with my boarding pass. I still carry it around for ease of entry when without an AA boarding pass. If that's going to be the requirement for entry, I can leave the card at home...
I have AC membership via my Citi Exec. card. A few weeks ago at JFK T8 AC I presented my bp (with AA FF# on it) agent: "are you an AC member", me: "yes, here is my EXEC card", agent swipes card, re-swipes...she realizes here computer is "acting up", finally it shows that I am an AC member. So just FF# and even EXEC card may not work in all cases.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:53 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAir_head
If we stay members, the most sensible route seems for both of us to get the Citi card; at $450 each it is much cheaper than either individual or household memberships (even more so if I get the card and just make her an authorized user, albeit less useful for her in a few circumstances). I can’t imagine how this plays out to AA’s advantage—neither one of us will spend one penny more than the annual fee; I use an Aviator Silver card with better benefits for me and she uses a card of her own for her own reasons. So AA ends up getting less for our membership in this scenario.

Contemplating this switch as well (from paid AC membership to Exec card). I haven't heard anything about renewal rates for the card, though (possible they may increase it I suppose). I presume AA actually makes way more on the credit card in terms of customer lifetime value, since they get kickbacks from Citi. It may be one of the reasons they're leaving that alone.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I think people are missing a HUGE reason to have the Exec card besides AC membership: 10,000 EQM (yes, EQM) for $40,000 spend.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I think people are missing a HUGE reason to have the Exec card besides AC membership: 10,000 EQM (yes, EQM) for $40,000 spend.
True, although my EQM v EQD need varies year to year. In the past, I needed those 10K EQMs but I've been OK with them the last few years. Instead, I've been relying on the Aviator card for the $3K EQDs.

However, there is no way that I spend enough on both cards to get both!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:43 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming one has $40,000 to spend.
Also, Citigold acct. holders only pay $350/yr for EXEC. card.^
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:01 pm

Yeah, not a chance I'm putting $40,000 on the Executive card given other options. I don't care about pursuing AA elite status and see it as essentially a lounge membership card. Of course that is different for some, but I'm not the only one.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Yeah, not a chance I'm putting $40,000 on the Executive card given other options.
What other (presumably better?) options? I've had the card for 5 years now and the travel benefits have been very valuable plus they give me a FICO score too on my statement. The 10K EQM usually deposits within a day of hitting the 40K spend mark.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by OskiBear
True, although my EQM v EQD need varies year to year. In the past, I needed those 10K EQMs but I've been OK with them the last few years. Instead, I've been relying on the Aviator card for the $3K EQDs.

However, there is no way that I spend enough on both cards to get both!
Now that the Aviator Red won’t give holders any EQD offset at all, and Silver will afford $3,000 EQD offset only after $50,000 spend, as of next year, what will be your plan?

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:20 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
What other (presumably better?) options? I've had the card for 5 years now and the travel benefits have been very valuable plus they give me a FICO score too on my statement. The 10K EQM usually deposits within a day of hitting the 40K spend mark.
(1)I have a Fidelity VISA card which is FREE and I get 2% cashback for ALL charges on the card.
(2)Discover Card (FREE) gives you your FICO score and monitors the "dark web" for bad use your SS#. .
(3)I'm Plat for life, with all the devaluation of perks on AA, the 10K might NOT be as big a + as it was 2 years ago.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Now that the Aviator Red won’t give holders any EQD offset at all, and Silver will afford $3,000 EQD offset only after $50,000 spend, as of next year, what will be your plan?

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019
Given that the Aviator is generally a lousy card, I certainly won't be spending $50K there to early a paltry $3K EQD offset.
I also found that I didn't have a problem with EQDs this year - either through more pricey tickets or some other combination of factors - one of which is buying up to Premium Economy fares on international travel.

With this latest breaking news, I'll likely cancel the Aviator card at renewal time, but not sure if I will focus on the Citi card for the EQMs. As someone squarely in the Platinum world these days, the overall EQM/EQD threshold isn't too difficult to meet.

So, the Citi card still works for AC membership (albeit somewhat downgraded), but I like that my spouse can benefit from it. I guess worst case, I'll hope there's a priority pass lounge during the times I'm not flying AA.

Death by a thousand cuts...is AA helping us out the door?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Yeah, not a chance I'm putting $40,000 on the Executive card given other options. I don't care about pursuing AA elite status and see it as essentially a lounge membership card. Of course that is different for some, but I'm not the only one.
I agree, to me this is also a club card. That is an easy 60k UR points minimum for Chase, way more value.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Club access during peak travel periods is a widespread issue; for example, multiple forums highlight waiting lists for those with Priority Pass. Rather than inconvenience its better customers, invest $$ in larger clubs, not a surprise that current AA management would follow DL's lead by restricting access. Inclusion of AS boarding pass holders works keeps me happy.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:41 pm

Both QF and VA have had this rule for a while...but of course Down Under a domestic J/F fare DOES include Lounge Access...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by kahdgar
Certainly makes membership less worth it for a non AA-exclusive flyer. Would need to have multiple club memberships if you fly through a lot of airports or use multiple airlines. Seems kind of silly, seeing as it is a membership club and not a frequent flyer benefit. I imagine pulling credit card fee memberships would have a similar effect, but wouldn't devalue overall membership. Anyway, I'm sure they've thought it through and those that choose not to retain won't hit that bottom dollar as much as we think.
Between the Citi and the Amex Platinum cards I'm never without club access or some kind... Plus the amex lounges are all on par wtih flagship lounges.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:39 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
Between the Citi and the Amex Platinum cards I'm never without club access or some kind... Plus the amex lounges are all on par wtih flagship lounges.
The AA FL lounges have open bar, a larger hot/cold food selection and more comfortable seating than the AMEX Centurion lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.