Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:04 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I don't understand why it states this: Starting February 1, 2019, individual membership fees will increase and household membership discounts will be discontinued.

Now there are premiums renewing a household membership over the cost of renewing two separate individual ones for, oddly, gold ($25), Platinum ($50), PP ($75), and Ex Pla ($100). Is that intended?Type
AAdvantage®
AAdvantage® GoldAAdvantage® PlatinumAAdvantage® Platinum ProAAdvantage® Executive PlatinumIndividual – renew
$600
$575
$550
$525
$500
Household – renew
$1,200
$1,175
$1,150
$1,125
$1,100
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:07 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
See table above now that it is legible.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
I knew those turkey meatballs come at a price.

I wonder if my Citi executive card membership fee will increase to match these prices. I hope not.
Gary says AA said “no”.

The most significant devaluation will be the requirement of holding a same day boarding pass on AA, AS or oneworld as of November 2019. That will do it for me.
SPN Lifer, CPRich, GTITAN and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Silver & AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & Hyatt Gold
Wow --- so according to this change after Nov 2019 - An AA Exec Plat with a paid Club membership will be denied entry if it happens that I had to take say a last minute purchased SouthWest flight. Doesn't matter if I'm primarily an AA flyer, have status, paid for a membership. Seems pretty ridiculous.

I'm assuming this also means someone couldn't purchase a Day Pass unless they are holding an AA boarding pass. If thats not the case... then my head really is going to explode.

Why oh why did I ever move away from Delta?
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ctstan
Wow --- so according to this change after Nov 2019 - An AA Exec Plat with a paid Club membership will be denied entry if it happens that I had to take say a last minute purchased SouthWest flight. Doesn't matter if I'm primarily an AA flyer, have status, paid for a membership. Seems pretty ridiculous.

I'm assuming this also means someone couldn't purchase a Day Pass unless they are holding an AA boarding pass. If thats not the case... then my head really is going to explode.

This is a major change.

One day pass already is restricted:

One Day Pass visitor must hold a same-day ticket for airline travel on American or a partner airline1 that allows clearance through security for flight departure and access to the Admirals Club location.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ctstan

United did this already several years ago. How many people in the grand scheme of things are going to be 1. flying a different airline than AA as a top tier flyer and more importantly 2. going to be anywhere remotely near an AC when flying another airline?

I think it's a great idea in crowd thinning.
johnash likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
"effective November 1, 2019 same-day boarding passes on American Airlines, oneworld partner airlines, or Alaska Airlines will be required for entry.”
If I'm understanding this correctly, Admirals Club members flying on AA partners such as TN, HA and EY can no longer access the Admiral's Club? Strikes me as a little silly.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Sounds like we'll need an AA boarding pass even if we hold the Citi AAdvantage Executive Card after 11/1/2019. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Although 80% of my ex-DEN flights are AA, I have to fly UA occasionally.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Sounds like we'll need an AA boarding pass even if we hold the Citi AAdvantage Executive Card after 11/1/2019. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Although 80% of my ex-DEN flights are AA, I have to fly UA occasionally.
So when you fly UA you go out of your way to go to A terminal to the AC to grab a coffee rather than just go to B?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: free agent
Does that mean same day departing boarding pass? I often use the AA club on arrival to grab a coffee and a snack (and sometimes even a shower) before leaving the airport. This would be a major devaluation in the value of club membership for me if so.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
...The most significant devaluation will be the requirement of holding a same day boarding pass on AA, AS or oneworld as of November 2019. That will do it for me.
Yup. Going to cancel the card.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
United did this already several years ago. Delta announced that effective 2019 SkyClub members would have to fly Delta, or their partners. I do not believe that United has made a similar announcement. Still--this is a serious downgrade, especially for those of us with lifetime memberships.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
So when you fly UA you go out of your way to go to A terminal to the AC to grab a coffee rather than just go to B?
Snark much? Concourse A isn't out of the way; it's on the way. The bridge security is faster than the floor security. And if I'm there 90 minutes early, I certainly leverage my Admirals Club membership.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Depends on the airport. At AUS, for example, the AC is convenient no matter what airline you're departing on. Even at DFW, it's not a big inconvenience to go to one of the AA clubs even if you're flying out of E. When I had a SkyClub membership but was flying several times a week between AUS and DFW I would usually visit the SkyClub before my AA flight. I think this is a nasty cutback. If you have an outright membership you should be able to use the club, period. Do they really think this will significantly reduce crowding?

Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Does that mean same day departing boarding pass? I often use the AA club on arrival to grab a coffee and a snack (and sometimes even a shower) before leaving the airport. This would be a major devaluation in the value of club membership for me if so.
Good question. I frequently do this on arrival. The AC is (usually) has much nicer facilities than the public restrooms to freshen up and perhaps change clothes after a long flight, plus grab a drink of water or snack after heading out. I can't imagine they would restrict that if I'm arriving on an AA flight.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
United did this already several years ago.....
Let's get our facts straight:

Access requirements and eligibility information:

A valid United Club membership card and boarding pass for same-day travel

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

United does not require that the boarding pass be on UA or a partner. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.