Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:34 pm

Has anyone requested a refund for this yet? I just purchased an AC membership less than a month ago, and this change makes it far less useful to me. At this point I'd rather just cancel it.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
The same-day boarding pass may be a deal-breaker for me and others based in tiny airports like RDU. Since every airline other than WN is out of the same terminal, I could book Delta, United, etc. and know I could, under the old rules. hang out in the RDU AC. In a big airport it's a non-issue--I'm not going to track down an AC in an AA terminal if I'm on a flight in a different terminal--but in smaller ones, it's a define downgrade. This makes the $$$ AF for Citi EP look like money thrown away, since $29 a pop gets me in other lounges, plus AMEX PL gets me a couple of more options. I mean...I can find oatmeal and small snacks lots of other places for the $450 AF of Citi.

More reasons to go free agent, I guess.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The inability to use the AC to shower and change after a red eye is going to cause a major uproar. This one Parker might need to walk back.
I seriously doubt that will be the case. The terms and conditions have now been updated with the changes coming Nov. 1, 2019. Although they do not reference this specific scenario for Admirals Club members, it is notable that one day pass holders are explicitly allowed access under those circumstances:

"If you are traveling through multiple cities with lounges, you may use the same day pass to access more than one lounge that day (if traveling overnight, pass is also valid at the first point of arrival the following day)."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

I cannot imagine that access would be somehow less favorable to actual members.
JDiver and LovePrunes like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allthem
Has anyone requested a refund for this yet? I just purchased an AC membership less than a month ago, and this change makes it far less useful to me. At this point I'd rather just cancel it.
How many years membership did yopu purchase?
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I guess I'm in the minority here. I'll gladly pay an additional $ 100 to have less crowded clubs.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I guess I'm in the minority here. I'll gladly pay an additional $ 100 to have less crowded clubs.
Can't speak for all, but for me personally, the price increase isn't that big of a deal (at least as of now, if you get it via the Citi Executive card, there is no price increase). For me the biggest deal is a requirement to have an AA or partner boarding pass, because it dilutes membership (able to access anytime) vs. mere access privileges if you fly OW. I think a lot of us have used AA clubs when forced to travel on different airlines for reasons beyond our control.
JDiver, jhartvu and KBRDU like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Can't speak for all, but for me personally, the price increase isn't that big of a deal (at least as of now, if you get it via the Citi Executive card, there is no price increase). For me the biggest deal is a requirement to have an AA or partner boarding pass, because it dilutes membership (able to access anytime) vs. mere access privileges if you fly OW. I think a lot of us have used AA clubs when forced to travel on different airlines for reasons beyond our control.
The lack of access when not flying AA or partners is a very big deal for me. Using the AC when flying UA, AS, DL, WN, etc is one of the main reasons I've kept my AC membership - I use it as my "general" domestic lounge. Most of my actual AA flying now is paid J international or SFO-JFK so I get AC access anyway. Admirals Club still works for AS, but if UA keeps their policy as-is (any same day BP), I think it might make sense to switch to United Club or better yet to get the Amex Platinum for PP and Centurion Lounges.
JDiver and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Can't speak for all, but for me personally, the price increase isn't that big of a deal ...
I was going to mention that too, noting that among the FT/AA Elite/AC member crowd here, many of us make $ 100 faster than the time it takes to write a response here. But that sounded elitist.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by allthem
You should be fine, IMO, given the same day boarding pass restriction is still just over a year away.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
The lack of access when not flying AA or partners is a very big deal for me. Using the AC when flying UA, AS, DL, WN, etc is one of the main reasons I've kept my AC membership - I use it as my "general" domestic lounge. Most of my actual AA flying now is paid J international or SFO-JFK so I get AC access anyway. Admirals Club still works for AS, but if UA keeps their policy as-is (any same day BP), I think it might make sense to switch to United Club or better yet to get the Amex Platinum for PP and Centurion Lounges.
Totally agree, although I really dislike that United Clubs don't have showers. Otherwise, I would have changed long ago. I already have the Amex Plat, but it still has some gaps, especially if you don't travel on Delta. It was nice to have a reliable domestic lounge, as you say.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You should be fine, IMO, given the same day boarding pass restriction is still just over a year away.

Oops - for some reason I misread this to think it was starting November 1st of this year. I guess I'm fine then. Still won't renew, though.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
This is a big loss for the few of us lifetime Admirals Club members. Living in a non-AA hub city, SFO, often I'm forced to take a competitor to avoid an awkward connection. (i.e. SFO-anywhere-MKE.)

PS: I mentioned this earlier, but my comment disappeared.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
I'd been torn earlier this year about whether to renew my Admirals Club or pick up a Platinum Amex for the Centurion Lounge; almost certainly not renewing next year now (mostly due to the ticket requirement). I do wonder what this will do to Centurion Lounge crowding in DFW/MIA/PHL if people drop the airline clubs for one that doesn't require a specific airline (or costs less for that matter)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Antarius
If so, then why have an AC membership at all? I personally don't have one as I do not come to the airport early and I typically book short enough connections domestically that there isn't time.
In my opinion, having access to the AAngeles when there's IRROP's has been worth it's weight in gold.

As I walk past the huge queued people waiting to get service from the CS reps in the terminal, I head into the AC and have a much shorter queue indeed. Often, the AAngeles are often telling people to call their elite lines too. And sure enough, I've seem people step out of line and have done it myself after getting satisfactory service with being accommodated. In fact last week I was stuck in DFW dues to weather issues and when I walked into the AC, I was #7 in queue. Within 10 mins, I was #2 . Ended up speaking with an AAngel before EXP CS came on the line.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:33 pm

I’m MIA based with AMEX Platinum. I guess my profile doesn’t match the target profile for Admirals Club. Never felt the desire or need to use it. Most of my travel is non-stop or international, so weather rarely has impacts me. I don’t like arriving early, and if it’s a Miami delay, the Centurion Lounge works fine. I suspect that if you are based in a location that require a lot of DFW or ORD connections, it’s valuable. I’ve found the Miami or South American Admirals lounges nice, but food was meh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.