Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by scubadu
And technically Alaska Airlines counts as well.

Regards
Not just technically, it's clearly stated in the Access changes section of the Admirals Club membership page.
Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
One thing I learned yesterday is that guests have to have a same-day AA boarding pass also. The wiki implies that they don’t need one. Maybe others already knew this or it was covered upthread, but it was news to me.
It has been this way since the change was implemented on November 1.

Would make no sense that you, as a paid AC member, would not be permitted access to an AC when flying some random other carrier, but that a guest could do so.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
Not just technically, it's clearly stated in the Access changes section of the Admirals Club membership page.

I'm pretty sure that is what I was saying when I said, "technically" which is defined as, "according to the facts or exact meaning of something; strictly"

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Often1
It has been this way since the change was implemented on November 1.

Would make no sense that you, as a paid AC member, would not be permitted access to an AC when flying some random other carrier, but that a guest could do so.
Yeah, I am sure it has been this way since Nov 1, but this is the first time it has come up for me.

I see where you are coming from, but I guess I look at it differently: I am usually using my guest access to socialize or do business with a client or colleague traveling the same day as me. I would have thought that me flying AA would be sufficient, as obviously I can’t tell my client what airline to fly. But I guess AA agrees with you.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Am I reading the new rule correctly that I do not need to have a flight originating or departing from the AC airport so long as I have any flight that day on a One World carrier? So example if I fly Delta from PHL to JFK then AA from JFK same day, I would be permitted to access the PHL AC?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Am I reading the new rule correctly that I do not need to have a flight originating or departing from the AC airport so long as I have any flight that day on a One World carrier? So example if I fly Delta from PHL to JFK then AA from JFK same day, I would be permitted to access the PHL AC?
I would assume that's the case, as it doesn't specify same city.

From personal experience, I used a Finnair Business class mobile bp with my AY Sapphire status on it JFK-HEL to use the AC at ATL when I was flying ATL-JFK on DL. I simply had the AY bp scanned and agent asked "Remind me again of your Finnair status?" I told her Sapphire, "Excellent sir, welcome in!" Not an AC member so that couldn't be flagged anywhere in the system.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Plat
Cancelled my Citi AAdvantage Executive Card today after 6 years of membership @ $450 a pop. I told the rep it was because of the restricted access to the Admirals Club.
SPN Lifer and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, I am sure it has been this way since Nov 1, but this is the first time it has come up for me.

I see where you are coming from, but I guess I look at it differently: I am usually using my guest access to socialize or do business with a client or colleague traveling the same day as me. I would have thought that me flying AA would be sufficient, as obviously I can’t tell my client what airline to fly. But I guess AA agrees with you.
This same day flight rule for guests seems to be enforced only about half the time, in my experience, but it is always a risk.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I called Aadmiral's Club yesterday (to check on getting my refund based on getting the Citi card.) I told them that after being a paying member for 36 years of the Aadmiral's Club (a lounge for which I paid about $450 a year), instead of getting a good feeling about AA when I see and Admiral's Club, I get a negative feeling about AA. Why? I have recently had occasion to fly some other airlines (such as JetBlue which shares Terminal 5 at LAX) and, when I looked at the lounge for which I had paid money, I was not allowed to enter by the new rules. Do I accept the right of AA to change the rules? Yes, sometimes they even got better (like better food, more drinks, etc.). But that doesn't mean I need to agree with the change.

The representative I spoke with was very polite. She explained that the change was made so that the lounges would no longer be overcrowded because they knew how many members were flying on each incoming and departing flights and would now be able to forecast the exact number of guests who would be arriving and/or departing. So I assume that there should be LOTS of confirmation for the fact that since November 1, 2019, the lounges have always had adequate seating, always had adequate food (she mentioned specifically that they would know how much food they would need), and that they have become a place of refuge once again (just like I remember them from the entire 36 years I have been a member).

So, would a bunch of you please let me know how wonderful it has been for the past 60+ days?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sbrower
So, would a bunch of you please let me know how wonderful it has been for the past 60+ days?
In January and February of this year, the LAX T4 club was considerably less crowded between 6:00 and 7:00 am than it was during the approximately same time period prior to November 2019, when the change was implemented. No noticeable change in food quantities, quality or offerings, although the wait to use the espresso machine was shorter in 2020.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by TWA884
In January and February of this year, the LAX T4 club was considerably less crowded between 6:00 and 7:00 am than it was during the approximately same time period prior to November 2019, when the change was implemented. No noticeable change in food quantities, quality or offerings, although the wait to use the espresso machine was shorter in 2020.
So the one club that I've noticed the most change is the main CLT club. It used to be -mobbed- mid afternoon. Last trip there was on a Tuesday at about 4:00 pm and it was still crowded, but you could find pairs of seats available. Hard to tell if that was owing to the day of the week or the particular time of the year, but it was less crowded. The LGA club on a Monday morning (9:00 am ish) was very uncrowded.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So the one club that I've noticed the most change is the main CLT club. It used to be -mobbed- mid afternoon. Last trip there was on a Tuesday at about 4:00 pm and it was still crowded, but you could find pairs of seats available. Hard to tell if that was owing to the day of the week or the particular time of the year, but it was less crowded. The LGA club on a Monday morning (9:00 am ish) was very uncrowded.
agree on CLT, both C/D and B. I am generally there Mon or Tues AM, and both are still crowded, but not as bad as before. I don’t think it could be a drastic reduction in numbers given the high % of AA flights at CLT. The centurion lounge opening will help some more, but there is definitely another club needed (probably E)

the other clubs that I frequent are at JFK, LGA and EWR. AA is in its own terminal at JFK and it’s own “pier” at LGA, so doubt there is much difference there. Maybe some minimal difference at EWR, given that AA has most of the “A” gates in that terminal an security can be such a cluster there.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
At MIA it's hard to say since the E club has been closed for renovations. The D30 club is much more crowded than the D15 club but again the re-opening of E will alleviate some of that. I agree in airports in which AA is the sole occupant of a certain terminal or concourse there's probably little change since flyers were likely on AA to begin with.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I would say clubs have been less crowded. It is noticeable in PHL, where for a while clubs were bursting at the seams when A-west club closed. Much more manageable recently.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I would say clubs have been less crowded. It is noticeable in PHL, where for a while clubs were bursting at the seams when A-west club closed. Much more manageable recently.
Okay, I was there last night. Club for terminal B/C (where I think AA is the only airline) was wide-open at 8pm at night. Only about 50 people in a club that looks like it could hold more than 200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.