Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
In just a few days, many of us will not be able to use the Admirals Club much, or in some cases, at all. Effective Nov 1st, you need to have a same day AA boarding pass. Old news to most of us, but now that the date is here... any updates out there?

Still going to happen?

Any chance of ... anything?
Yes, it’s happening.

Nope, no chance of a rollback.

To make matters worse there is even a decent chance that in the nearish future an additional Citi Executive card user fee may make its appearance.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I am canceling my Executive card on Friday. Sure am going to miss the club. I’m Gold with AA for next year again and likely will continue to fly them for my business trips but leisure trips I typically use WN due to direct flights. I think they are missing out here, as I am sure others are also still loyal to AA but occasionally do travel on other airlines.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:41 pm

Have my Admirals Club on Auto renew but looks like I will need to deselect this until I figure out my next step . Am Exec Platinum, só cost is $500. I have the Ritz Carlton VISA, which reimburses $300 of the Admirals club fee. However the last reimbursement was in January 2019. The Admirals club renews in December, so if Ritz Carlton will not reimburse (not sure if it is based on date of charge, or when statement is prepared) in January, perhaps I will acquire the Citi card that includes Admirals club. Any advice, and anyone here that also uses the Ritz Carlton visa for the $300 credit towards the Admirals club?

I must have closed the browser that had that Citi card offer. Can somebody please reply with the name of this card, and any other recommendations.

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Tracktime
Can somebody please reply with the name of this card...
Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I was told by a Admirals Club employee that Flagship Lounge access isn’t going to be allowed unless you’re on a departing flight. That’s a little annoying as I have access to that in Chicago and sometimes have to wait for a colleague to arrive into ORD and I like it waiting there.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I am canceling my Executive card on Friday. Sure am going to miss the club. I’m Gold with AA for next year again and likely will continue to fly them for my business trips but leisure trips I typically use WN due to direct flights. I think they are missing out here, as I am sure others are also still loyal to AA but occasionally do travel on other airlines.
My card does not come up for renewal until Feb - so I will wait until then to cancel. I see no reason to cancel now.

Is there?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by tampatravel
I was told by a Admirals Club employee that Flagship Lounge access isn’t going to be allowed unless you’re on a departing flight. That’s a little annoying as I have access to that in Chicago and sometimes have to wait for a colleague to arrive into ORD and I like it waiting there.
I don't understand, in the USA you need to be on a departing flight to get access to the FL, otherwise you clear customs and are out of the secure area. Is this related to non-AA members getting access on arrival? Or is this for special cases on the LAX/SFO-NYC routes only?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How do you have access to the Flagship Lounge? You are required to be departing on the same day (or by 6 am the following day if connecting) on a qualifying - or arriving on a qualifying flight and departing on another oneworld flight. This is nothing new.

What is new is AA is restricting Admirals Club access, even to members (paid by fee, miles or Citi AAdvantage Executive World MasterCard), to those with an American Airlines or oneworld partner or Alaska Airlines flight the same day, as of 1 November 2019. No exceptions for renting a conference facility, etc.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
In just a few days, many of us will not be able to use the Admirals Club much, or in some cases, at all...Any chance of ... anything?
We could start a new thread "Lifetime AC Member Meetup and Guest".
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by safari ari
I don't understand, in the USA you need to be on a departing flight to get access to the FL, otherwise you clear customs and are out of the secure area. Is this related to non-AA members getting access on arrival? Or is this for special cases on the LAX/SFO-NYC routes only?
Originally Posted by JDiver
How do you have access to the Flagship Lounge? You are required to be departing on the same day (or by 6 am the following day if connecting) on a qualifying - or arriving on a qualifying flight and departing on another oneworld flight. This is nothing new.

What is new is AA is restricting Admirals Club access, even to members (paid by fee, miles or Citi AAdvantage Executive World MasterCard), to those with an American Airlines or oneworld partner or Alaska Airlines flight the same day, as of 1 November 2019. No exceptions for renting a conference facility, etc.
tampatravel is CK who have access to FL's even on US domestic only itineraries.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Yes, it’s happening.

Nope, no chance of a rollback.

To make matters worse there is even a decent chance that in the nearish future an additional Citi Executive card user fee may make its appearance.
Are you saying an additional fee for using the card or a fee for an additional card user?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I must be in the minority but this doesn't affect me at all. I use the AC when I'm travelling on AA flights, and when I'm not (which is rare), I don't. I actually thought you always did have to have to be flying AA to use the club. If anything, it sounds like this will clear out some space which will be welcome. Does anyone know if this will change whether or not you can use the AC when you arrive?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ksucats
Are you saying an additional fee for using the card or a fee for an additional card user?
There was a glitch on Citi's website that indicated a $175 Authorized User fee which has since been removed. https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-a...onal-user-fee/ Many are speculating it's coming, and this was a hint.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by AAdamE
There was a glitch on Citi's website that indicated a $175 Authorized User fee which has since been removed. https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-a...onal-user-fee/ Many are speculating it's coming, and this was a hint.

Gotcha. Thanks. Not sure how it would work. I have added my wife and both kids as authorized users for this credit card. They have never used it for admiral's club access without me being there and probably won't any time soon. I would quickly have them removed if there was a fee for them to have that card.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Does anyone know if this will change whether or not you can use the AC when you arrive?
. You need a BP on AA for that day. So, yes, you can use the AC at your arrival airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.