Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
For lifetime members in Delta SkyClubs. they waived the requirement for a same day BP. Does this also apply to lifetime members in the Admirals club? seeing as the rules at time of purchase then were not as draconian

or am I just SOL
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
AA announced this well in advance so those for whom this would be an issue could not renew. I'm 100% in support of this to minimize overcrowding.
DL started this policy at the start of this calendar year and no noticeable change in crowd levels, tbh
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by whaleship
I am wondering about Admirals Club day passes. Say if I fly starting from STL and I bought a day pass there on Sept 6, 2019 and use it at both STL and ORD. However, after flying to NRT the date will now be Sept 7, 2019, would I still be able to use that same day pass at the Admirals Club at Narita? Since I didn't fly enough this year to earn Platinum for next year I am wondering about this.

I miss the $99 one month Admirals Club passes AA had until 2017.
Which flight from ORD to NRT arrives the next day?
It's a 13 hour flight against a 10 hour reverse time change, the net time difference is 3 hours. Arriving the next day means you would leave ORD at 9 PM or later.
Doesn't the nonstop leave in the afternoon? (12:25 PM arriving NRT the same day at 3:35 PM)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
It's a 13 hour flight against a 10 hour reverse time change, the net time difference is 3 hours. Arriving the next day means you would leave ORD at 9 PM or later.
Doesn't the nonstop leave in the afternoon? (12:25 PM arriving NRT the same day at 3:35 PM)
I think you have the directions mixed up. ORD-NRT is plus one day, NRT-ORD is time travel, arrive earlier versus departure.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gitismatt
DL started this policy at the start of this calendar year and no noticeable change in crowd levels, tbh
The rationale for this could also be to ensure that those using the Sky Club or Admirals Club are indeed flying DL or AA, respectively. So where a Sky Club member might previously have used the club when flying, for example, Southwest, now s/he booked DL instead. This didn't reduce crowding in the club yet added a revenue passenger/stopped revenue bleed to another carrier.

DL also allows Amex Platinum members to use the Sky Club, so that's probably also adding people given the chronic overcrowding seen at Centurion lounges -- i.e., there are A LOT of people flying with Amex Platinum cards.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
The rationale for this could also be to ensure that those using the Sky Club or Admirals Club are indeed flying DL or AA, respectively. So where a Sky Club member might previously have used the club when flying, for example, Southwest, now s/he booked DL instead. This didn't reduce crowding in the club yet added a revenue passenger/stopped revenue bleed to another carrier.

DL also allows Amex Platinum members to use the Sky Club, so that's probably also adding people given the chronic overcrowding seen at Centurion lounges -- i.e., there are A LOT of people flying with Amex Platinum cards.
im 100% agreed with you. the person I was quoting said he or she was in support of the new policy to reduce overcrowding. I was pointing out that this will probably not be the outcome.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
I don't have that option. I already paid for Lifetime Membership under different terms and conditions. DL did the right thing by exempting lifetime members from the same-day ticket requirement.
Same here, I bought Lifetime membership in 1990. Lifetime AAdmirals Club members should be exempt from the same day boarding pass requirement since when we bought our lifetime memberships that wasn’t a requirement for entrance to the lounge. I hope AA does the right thing and allows us entrance regardless of whether we are on an AA flight or not. Legally wouldn’t we be grandfathered into the terms we had when we joined?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAdmiral

Same here, I bought Lifetime membership in 1990. Lifetime AAdmirals Club members should be exempt from the same day boarding pass requirement since when we bought our lifetime memberships that wasn’t a requirement for entrance to the lounge. I hope AA does the right thing and allows us entrance regardless of whether we are on an AA flight or not. Legally wouldn’t we be grandfathered into the terms we had when we joined?
did the terms state that the terms would never be changed? if not, I don't see how legally you would be covered
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP

And this is the real reason behind the change. It will encourage AC members/credit card holders to fly AA as they will have AC access.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
AA153 is the 12:45pm flight I would usually take from ORD-NRT and then connect at NRT for a JAL/AA codeshare flight to KHH at 6:35PM Japan time. This I am using as an example, as I've used to go to the Sakura Lounge whenever I am at NRT, but I am wondering would the day pass I buy in STL the day before will be able to be used in NRT the next day if I am originated from one city and I am connecting/continuing on to the final destination.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
did the terms state that the terms would never be changed? if not, I don't see how legally you would be covered
When I purchased Lifetime membership in 1990 there was no internet. I bought my lifetime membership at a city AA ticket office for $2000 and wasn’t given a pamphlet or any document outlining exact rules or benefits, just a receipt for my purchase. So to change terms and conditions wouldn’t I have to have been told what they were in the first place. All I was informed was to show the membership card and ID anytime I wanted to use the lounge. I wonder how many members have lifetime memberships versus total number of members and are there so many like me who would fill the club? I fly AA 95% of the time and also have AA Citi Exec Card which also gives me Admirals Club membership but I keep that for the other benefits. And being ConciergeKey have an Admirals Club membership as well so I actually have 3 memberships. I just want to be able to access the lounge maybe the one or two times a year I might when I’m not on AA. Again I wasn’t told in 1990 that we might change the rules in 29 years in 2019. I feel that AA should honor the rules in place for 1990 when I purchased my lifetime membership.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Are we 100% sure that, if one schedules a meeting in an AC meeting room, that the scheduler and his/her guests wouldn't be granted access?

That said, I've been traveling a lot for 20 years and have had club memberships with US, UA, NW, DL and AA over the years. I've never seen those meeting rooms actually being used. How often does this really happen at this point with airport security being what it is these days?
We are not. Present rules state if one pays for a conference room at the airport, gate passes will be provided to attendees, iirc. They may wish to keep this option available, or they might choose to eliminate these and expand Club spaces.

I have seen these facilities used, and have used them myself.

Part of my work included corrective counseling to high value employees, and the Admirals Club was a great place to accomplish that. For me, it meant a turnaround and going home that night, a convenient meeting place I never had to leave airside, where I could write up my report and get refreshment. For the other person, it meant getting corrective counseling without having the embarrassment of having me show up personally, preventing the possibility of anyone hearing anything of the meeting’s proceedings purposely or accidentally and a quite acceptable “I have a meeting scheduled in the - - - airport Admirals Club this afternoon”. (The client paid for airfare, Club facilities rental and my fee, of course.)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Ethically, I would expect any club to honor the basic premise of the membership that was offered for the lifetime price.

Buying a lifetime membership in 1990 does not mean you're entitled forever to the same brand of snacks found in the lounge in 1990, but I would always expect to be able to enter the lounge with my membership. That's the basic thing that you bought.

Full lounge membership and day-of-travel access have long been very different things. One product is worth substantially more than the other. (Day-of-travel access to various lounges around the world is given away like candy these days.) Someone holding a lifetime membership should be entitled to use the fundamental product he paid for. If AA wants to change the definition of "membership" now, that's a pretty slimy move to people who buy yearly memberships (unless they're substantially dropping the costs), but the lifetimers should still get what they paid for.

I do not hold any membership these days. My only bias is a pet peeve with all sorts of companies that make "lifetime" promises and then break them.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:13 am

Interesting -- it seems that this point:
Originally Posted by JDiver
preventing the possibility of anyone hearing anything of the meeting’s proceedings purposely or accidentally
​​​​​​was undermined by this one:
Originally Posted by JDiver
a quite acceptable “I have a meeting scheduled in the - - - airport Admirals Club this afternoon”
which would provide colleagues a roadmap to where to eavesdrop. Wouldn't “I have an offsite meeting scheduled this afternoon” suffice? The only ones with a need to know exactly where the employee is would be their management, who presumably already know about the counseling.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
There are threads in the FT DL forum covering the topic of Lifetime Members in the Crown/Sky Club. DL initially adopted the policy of denying access to LT members who were not flying DL that day. After pressure was applied and some bad publicity, DL rescinded the policy this year and carved out an exemption for their small number of LT members who once again have access to Sky Clubs regardless of airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.