Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Interesting. Chase gives the UA lifetime club members their Presidential Plus Card for $100/year. At least they did under CO and I'm still getting it for that price, many years later. I find it well worth it for the travel insurance/benefits the card provides.
Simply couldn't be more OT on my part, but I have to ask-- and maybe you can point me in the direction of a relevant thread in the UA or Chase forum-- I see that the card you reference is no longer available but has a similar replacement.
I'm a lifetime United Club member-- any reason to believe there's any remnant of such a program/discount for the current top-of-the-line UA credit card?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
"Same day boarding pass" and "same day travel" technically are different; if I depart on a redeye on 11/1 (say) and arrive on 11/2 and want to enter an AC on 11/2 I do NOT have a bp dated 11/2 even though I FLEW on 11/2--or am I getting too technical re the new rules?
If you read further up, myself and others have confirmed with AA that arrivals from red eyes would be permitted.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Simply couldn't be more OT on my part, but I have to ask-- and maybe you can point me in the direction of a relevant thread in the UA or Chase forum-- I see that the card you reference is no longer available but has a similar replacement.
I'm a lifetime United Club member-- any reason to believe there's any remnant of such a program/discount for the current top-of-the-line UA credit card?
This is correct:

The Presidential Plus card is a legacy CO card which historically offered a $100 annual fee for lifetime UA Club members. This has not changed, even as the annual fee for non-lifetime member cardholders has increased from $375 to $395 to $450. This card has not been available for new applications since around the time of the merger, but Chase/UA has not altered the "agreement" with legacy cardholders who are lifetime UC members.

When UA began offering the Mileage Plus Club Card, I inquired about switching, but I was told to go pound sand when I asked about a reduction in the annual fee for being a lifetime UC member.

So, technically, AA is being "competitive" with UA's club card offering in that it is similarly un-competitive -- annual fee-wise -- for lifetime club members.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
Also, Citigold acct. holders only pay $350/yr for EXEC. card.^
Do you have a citation for the Citigold discount? I got charged the full boat in this my first year of Exec membership.

I love this card for the AC access. We are going away with a bunch of people next month. Put one of their names as a additional cardholder- bam- AC access for the whole group . (I am not giving the card to the person, might not even tell them about it )
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by SS255
TThe Presidential Plus card is a legacy CO card which historically offered a $100 annual fee for lifetime UA Club members. This has not changed, even as the annual fee for non-lifetime member cardholders has increased from $375 to $395 to $450. This card has not been available for new applications since around the time of the merger, but Chase/UA has not altered the "agreement" with legacy cardholders who are lifetime UC members.

When UA began offering the Mileage Plus Club Card, I inquired about switching, but I was told to go pound sand when I asked about a reduction in the annual fee for being a lifetime UC member.

So, technically, AA is being "competitive" with UA's club card offering in that it is similarly un-competitive -- annual fee-wise -- for lifetime club members.
I have lifetime memberships in the AA + DL + UA Clubs, along with a grandfathered $100/year Presidential Plus card---and can back you up on all the above. AFAIK the Presidential Plus card is the only way to earn UA EQMs without actually flying, which is super useful in years when it makes less sense to fly UA.
JDiver and SS255 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:23 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Do you have a citation for the Citigold discount? I got charged the full boat in this my first year of Exec membership.

I love this card for the AC access. We are going away with a bunch of people next month. Put one of their names as a additional cardholder- bam- AC access for the whole group . (I am not giving the card to the person, might not even tell them about it )
The only "quote" I can give is that my CC is charged $350,
I have a recollection that when I first applied I went to my "home" Citibank branch and completed the application via their computer.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:18 pm

Rate increase

I think the improvement AAs done to both flagship and Admirals lounges are worth the increase in price. Better food, more options and nicer amenities than UA/DL
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentflight
I think the improvement AAs done to both flagship and Admirals lounges are worth the increase in price. Better food, more options and nicer amenities than UA/DL
FL entry is not linked with the AC membership.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I have lifetime memberships in the AA + DL + UA Clubs, along with a grandfathered $100/year Presidential Plus card---and can back you up on all the above. AFAIK the Presidential Plus card is the only way to earn UA EQMs without actually flying, which is super useful in years when it makes less sense to fly UA.
In that case, starting next November, you can start using the UC when you're flying an airline other than AA. (Assuming you could physically get to it.) As of now, UA still allows their members to enter with a same-day boarding pass for any airline.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:23 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by SS255
In that case, starting next November, you can start using the UC when you're flying an airline other than AA. (Assuming you could physically get to it.) As of now, UA still allows their members to enter with a same-day boarding pass for any airline.
Scott Kirby is fixing this as I type.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
I fly AA about 1/4 of the time and am not a frequent business traveler anymore so I gave up on chasing status but AUS is my home airport and AC membership from the world elite card has been great since there's only one terminal here. I'll definitely give up the card when it comes up for renewal. The UA lounge is right next door to the AC so I'll get a membership there since they don't care who I'm flying (for now). No priority pass or centurion club here. DL is opening a lounge soon but according to this thread it's only for those flying DL. I wouldn't have a problem paying more for AC access if it didn't have the AA/OW BP requirement.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by airmarc
Where did you see that? I hope this is not the case. AA actively markets AC memberships to its employees, as well as through its Citi Exec card.
I wondered about this, since I sometimes use my father's D3 passes. (He's retired)

Here was their response:

If you have the CITI Executive World Elite credit card you will have access to the Admirals Club.

As a D-3 pass rider you are given a boarding pass in order to get through security. You won't have a seat assignment until you board the aircraft. You would show this boarding pass at the Admirals club showing you are traveling on American.

Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I thought it was the Citi Prestige that gave the discount for Citi gold members. I have both that one and Citi exec and pay full freight on the Citi exec.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:27 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
I thought it was the Citi Prestige that gave the discount for Citi gold members. I have both that one and Citi exec and pay full freight on the Citi exec.
in post#156, I noted that I believe my discount (on EXEC) was due to my completing my application through my "home" branch of Citibank.
PS: I did have a Citi Prestige which I dropped when I switched to the EXEC (after loss of lounge access), the agent I spoke with to cancel Prestige was "hard sell" to keep my Prestige card...noting all its the advantages.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by nrr
FL entry is not linked with the AC membership.
Originally Posted by Frequentflight
If AA offered an enhanced Admirals Membership with FL access then maybe.

But I’m departing out of JFK gate 5 on a domestic flight today, and it pisses me off that there’s no Admirals Club in the terminal. There was when I puchased the membership. (Yes, I purchase my Admirals Club membership, sometimes with cash, sometimes with BizExtra.) Whatever...airline lounge T&C are some of the most customer abusive contracts around.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Oct 26, 2018 at 7:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.