Wiki Posts
Search

Puzzled by American's Pricing Engine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Puzzled by American's Pricing Engine

I was checking out some flights from SFO-JFK (departing10/26, returning 11/1) and noticed that business class is roughly $300 more than first class. And as a bonus, you can use SWU to upgrade from business to first.

Checking a few other date ranges, the price disparity wasn't as bad, but there were still instances were first class is cheaper than business
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I've seen F lower than Y on Delta. When Y is down to just a couple of seats, and F is wide open, not surprising.
Infinite1K and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Most likely the cheaper fare bucket business class tickets have been purchased, while cheaper fare buck first seats have not yet been purchased. This causes first to be less than business. Give it a couple days and likely the cheap F fares will be bought causing F to be more expensive than J.
Infinite1K, JDiver and sdsearch like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent
Most likely the cheaper fare bucket business class tickets have been purchased, while cheaper fare buck first seats have not yet been purchased. This causes first to be less than business. Give it a couple days and likely the cheap F fares will be bought causing F to be more expensive than J.
Expert Flyer is showing F5 A4 J1 for the 8am departure (AA 164) on the 26th, for example.
Infinite1K and sdsearch like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you certain that the fare rules are the same? Are the F seats inflexible while the J fares are not.

If that's the case, it's entirely possible that a full Y ticket which is refundable and changeable costs more than a seat in F on a discounted fare bucket which is neither.

Got to compare apples to apples.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Are you certain that the fare rules are the same? Are the F seats inflexible while the J fares are not.

If that's the case, it's entirely possible that a full Y ticket which is refundable and changeable costs more than a seat in F on a discounted fare bucket which is neither.

+1

This is why I find it very easy to rationalize these fare differences. Of course, it's no fun for someone whose employer might not care about the flexibility but nevertheless requires purchasing the more-expensive lower-class seat.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm more partial these days to booking anomalies where the open jaw itineraries that I am looking at make it cheaper to book two one ways than to book the open jaw on one ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Not surprising. I remember when you could get First Class saver seats for 20K miles, when anytime econ seats were 25K.
Many times I saw first class at 20K while the cheapest econ available was 25K
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:03 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
because most of the tickets are booked using different channels where people cannot see or check if J or F is cheaper and the cheapest Y fares are already gone
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'm more partial these days to booking anomalies where the open jaw itineraries that I am looking at make it cheaper to book two one ways than to book the open jaw on one ticket.
My trip BOS->LAX(via JFK)->LAS->DCA in F was significantly cheaper than other options, maybe for the same reason.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1

It's still pretty dumb pricing by AA, since many people don't care about the flexibility of the ticket and are will just get a seat in a higher cabin than they originally expected to book (for less money). They should just have a JRESTRICED83 fare or something that has roughly the same restrictions as the A fares but can be sold for slightly less money than first even when the cheaper business buckets are sold out.

Last edited by jordyn; Oct 17, 2018 at 12:10 pm Reason: Tried to make the last sentence actually make sense
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
I was checking out some flights from SFO-JFK (departing10/26, returning 11/1) and noticed that business class is roughly $300 more than first class. And as a bonus, you can use SWU to upgrade from business to first.

Checking a few other date ranges, the price disparity wasn't as bad, but there were still instances were first class is cheaper than business
Corporate travelers may have rules excluding F travel even if it's cheaper than J. So the business cabin fills up faster and the cheaper J seats disappear.

I've seen business cheaper than economy one time. I was returning from a cruise that ended in Santiago and that meant 2000 additional passengers trying to get home and so economy was oversold. That was the same flight that I was able to get AA F for like $300 more than J which was worth it at that price (discount F vs full J).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.