Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA EXP Seeks best A380 / J Maximizing AA EQM Earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP

Hello all,

I'm an AA EXP and I have two goals, get a lot of AA EQM for a good value and fly on an A380. I know I can earn on Qantas, Qatar, British, and Etihad (I think). Where to and with whom do you think is the best value and best J product?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
You can't earn EQM on Etihad.
Best J product would definitely be on Qatar.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You can drop QF & BA from that dream list for their J products. Read SFO777's recent report on QF and the BA hard product is lackluster to say the least with a soft product that has become too variable.

Haven't flown EY so cannot comment. QR in J is rather nice. It's not QSuites but it's a fine product.

Have asked a MOD to move this to the OneWorld forum.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Mar 16, 2019 at 8:20 pm Reason: Change to to too.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: CK or bust
If you can swing the miles, the BA A380 F hard product is quite nice to experience. While the aircraft will be flying for some time, the ending of the A380 program makes it worth trying in F just for the sake of a good memory as they won't fly them forever!

Last edited by enpremiere; Mar 18, 2019 at 8:56 am Reason: Irrelevant as OP was looking to earn miles, not redeem
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rxapple
Hello all,

I'm an AA EXP and I have two goals, get a lot of AA EQM for a good value and fly on an A380. I know I can earn on Qantas, Qatar, British, and Etihad (I think). Where to and with whom do you think is the best value and best J product?
Best EQM earning in Business: AA, AA marketed in others, AY, BA, IB, JL (2 EQM / flown mile, others 1.5)

Best value: that requires some searching and delving

Best product: arguable, but certainly not BA Club World (OTOH, BA have A380 and sometimes you’ll find F close to J. BA A380 First is decent.)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere
If you can swing the miles, the BA A380 F hard product is quite nice to experience. While the aircraft will be flying for some time, the ending of the A380 program makes it worth trying in F just for the sake of a good memory as they won't fly them forever!
I think the OP wants to earn EQM, not spend miles.

That said, I'm on the opposite end. I've successfully managed to go all over the world and avoid the a380. That thing is hideous to look at and offends by enthusiast nature deeply.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by enpremiere
While the aircraft will be flying for some time, the ending of the A380 program makes it worth trying in F just for the sake of a good memory as they won't fly them forever!
There won't be new ones, but as you allude to I think it's very safe to assume that the existing A380s will be around in commercial service for years and probable they'll be around for decades. So this is not like a 747-400 where if you want to fly one in your lifetime, your opportunities are numbered. (I'll leave for others the debate about whether one should want to fly one.)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
BA's J upstairs on the A380 has four fantastic seats (the last window seat in each cabin) which have both the bins for storing your stuff and direct access to the aisle. BA's soft product gets mixed reviews, but I think it exceeds AA by quite a margin (I can easily eat a whole BA meal, where as AA meal is more likely to go almost completely untouched).

And you can get fares from DUB to SFO or LAX for $1900 at the moment. And if you're going to other way, the best I know (obscure though it is) is MFR-LHR which is coming in at $3200 round trip and coincides with the BA A380 on LAX-LHR.

Of course, since your profile doesn't say where you are based, it is hard to give very useful advice!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
why the 380? there is so many better aircraft like the 787 or 350

expand your plane options and you can get such a better experience. I was on a qf from syd to lax and I swear the plane was going to fall apart. Plastic creaking the plane just hasn’t aged well
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

expand your plane options and you can get such a better experience. I was on a qf from syd to lax and I swear the plane was going to fall apart. Plastic creaking the plane just hasn’t aged well
Op wants to fly an A-380. I find that to be a reasonable goal.
E55 and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
BA's J upstairs on the A380 has four fantastic seats (the last window seat in each cabin) which have both the bins for storing your stuff and direct access to the aisle. BA's soft product gets mixed reviews, but I think it exceeds AA by quite a margin (I can easily eat a whole BA meal, where as AA meal is more likely to go almost completely untouched).

And you can get fares from DUB to SFO or LAX for $1900 at the moment. And if you're going to other way, the best I know (obscure though it is) is MFR-LHR which is coming in at $3200 round trip and coincides with the BA A380 on LAX-LHR.

Of course, since your profile doesn't say where you are based, it is hard to give very useful advice!
Sorry, based out of JLN but can easily do SGF, TUL, XNA also.

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

I’ve already been on the 787 numerous times. I figure the A350 will be around a long long time.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
One option is Qatar from CDG, via DOH to SYD r/t. 3 of 4 legs are on the A380, prices as low as $4432 earning 32310 EQM and $4300 EQD (close enough I guess).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Sat in one of those seats (53K) on British Airways about 15 months ago. You have a birds-eye view of two giant engines attached to the starboard wing, and yet the cabin is nearly silent. Surreal.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
On topic QR best a380J for earning AA EQM's. It is a nice product even if it isn't as nice as some other J products offered by Qatar.

BA F? I remember first time flying BA a380 F from YVR, and I was like what no bar on board, no showers on board, then it got worse no dinner on a 10 hour flight, they served some late night snack as flight was leaving after 8pm in F.

Off topic. The a380 can be configured in a rather spectacular fashion as Emirates has shown. Personally, I would forgo the AA EQM earning, and book yourself on an Emirates or Etihad a380 and experience some luxury. Sad for me that production will stop, as I go out of my way to fly the a380 as much as possible.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Best EQM earning in Business: AA, AA marketed in others, AY, BA, IB, JL (2 EQM / flown mile, others 1.5)
This is wrong. Every partner airlines now gets you 2 EQMs per mile flown for business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.