Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MD-80 “Super 80” aka “Mad Dog” memories, “longest goodbye”

MD-80 “Super 80” aka “Mad Dog” memories, “longest goodbye”

Old Mar 15, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
I too remember a lot of F-100s out of ORD. But I believe some were run out of DFW.
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:01 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Sure, some F100s were flown out of DFW. It may be how they earned the sobriquet Dutch oven.
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:06 am
PHL

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, UA Silver, MR LT Platinum Premier
I had almost forgot about this bird since my flying is mostly ex-PHL where I haven't seen one in a while. I was on a DFW-MCI flight recently and got to enjoy it for what I figure will be the last time. The early 2000's era blue interior brought back memories.
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: AA PPRO, DL PM, Marriott Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle, National Exec Elite
The Mad Dogs were great. I flew them all of the time between DFW and the Midwest throughout the last few years. Most comfortable F seats around on a narrowbody, bar none, with (surprisingly) the E175 being a close second. 21A was an awesome seat in Coach. Super quiet takeoffs from the front; only the A220 (brand new, and on DL only atm) can match it.

This thread is reminding me how much of a disappointment the 7M8 is (for pax). It is the Flxible bus of the skies.
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Mar 15, 19, 11:35 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I still happily fly the Mad Dogs over at DL. DL's done a nice job of keeping the interiors looking new. No IFE, but there's AC power and some rudimentary WiFi on them. Still quiet and smooth as ever at the pointy end. I also like the exit row seats on JetBlue's E190's. If you manage to snag a flight where you're the only one in the upgraded exit row seats, it's almost like flying on a corporate jet.
Old Mar 15, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
In the rare occasion I'm in the window seat, I love the way the sunlight shines through the MD logo detail on the window shade.

Old Mar 15, 19, 9:53 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
AUS was 100% MD-80 for many years. The 2-side on rows 20 and 21 were my go-to seats on the MD-80, back when Golds could book exit rows in advance for free.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 19, 10:02 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold; United Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw View Post
The Mad Dogs were great. I flew them all of the time between DFW and the Midwest throughout the last few years. Most comfortable F seats around on a narrowbody, bar none, with (surprisingly) the E175 being a close second. 21A was an awesome seat in Coach. Super quiet takeoffs from the front; only the A220 (brand new, and on DL only atm) can match it.

This thread is reminding me how much of a disappointment the 7M8 is (for pax). It is the Flxible bus of the skies.
LMAO. Haven't heard that phrase in years.
Old Mar 19, 19, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Back in 2006 I flew into PHX from ORD. Back then AA had three gates in Terminal 3, gates 2, 4 and 6. That night when we arrived there was already a plane at every gate. We were told to go park at Gate 7 which was a shared gate between jetBlue, Hawaiian and ATA I believe. However, they couldn't get the jetway to attach. So we were told to deplane down the rear service airstairs and go up the jetway service stairs. A Phoenix PD car parked itself on the tarmac just in case we made a run for it. My only time using the rear stairs:

Old Mar 19, 19, 1:11 pm

Will definitely miss these workhorses. Flew ORF-DFW last year and was thinking a) how amazingly quiet the front cabin was and b) that it could very well be my last opp to be on one. Amazing how quickly they disappeared, seems like only a couple years ago their retirements were being planned.