Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MD-80 “Super 80” aka “Mad Dog” memories, “longest goodbye”

MD-80 “Super 80” aka “Mad Dog” memories, “longest goodbye”

Old Oct 21, 18, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador
Including the flight I'm about to get on, my last 5 segments will have been on Mad Dogs! Like many others, 3E is my favorite seat on this plane...sitting in it on the way to DFW did indeed bring back memories!

It seems some of the FA flying on these aren't aware of all of the rules, like no stacking of bags in the closet...have seen that done a few times recently (I'm assuming the rule hasn't changed recently).
Old Oct 22, 18, 5:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
In First, it was quiet except for the wind noise
How right you are. They were so quiet on the ground and on take-off that it was almost eerie when the wind started to howl!

This side of the pond I flew the Swissair MD-80. We were upgraded to First and on the short flight to Geneva managed a vast meal served on the oddest crockery that I had ever seen. They actually had the aircraft as a three class back then.

They flew for Iberia and Alitalia were still flying them quite recently. Oddly enough the quietest seats were just behind the curtain in Y.
I dare not tell you my first flight as most people think that it was astride a brrom - but if I tell you that as a very little girl my first flight was from Croydon Airport (long closed), it was not yesterday. We flew to the island of Guernsey in an Avro Consul. We then graduated to a Dehaviland Dove, then a Heron, and finally my first "Big Girl" flight was on a Vickers Vanguard to Le Bourget Paris. I caught the aviation bug big time. My Mother, who thought that Air Hostesses were not a permanent job forbad me to apply until I had a "proper" job that would last. I qualified a nurse and then off I went on VC10s, 1-11s, the dear old 707, and my favourite ever the DC-10-30.

No, I did not serve soup to the Wright Brothers!

With American, it was on a MD80 that I experienced my first push off a gate where reverse thrust was used. It is never usually done in Europe. I also recall flying BAF to SBA which is one of the shortest flights that I can remember. It had started in DFW and continued on to SBA after a stop.The take off was quite steep I recall and almost immediately afterwards started its approach.
JDiver, SK, marnold3 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 23, 18 at 1:37 pm Reason: Fix quotation
Old Oct 22, 18, 2:14 pm

Being mostly a PMUS guy, I only flew the AA MD-80 a few times, and enjoyed it both in Y and F. However, living on the DCA flight path, what I will always remember about the MD-80 is that it was the only aircraft type out of DCA that I could identify by sound alone on takeoff. Coming over the Key Bridge or in North Arlington, you knew well in advance what it was. Even the DL MD-90s were notably more muted. And on cold, humid days, when they were landing down the river, you could hear the thrust reversers at my place, ~3 miles away.
Old Oct 23, 18, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My first ever upgrade based on my own status was on an AA MD-80. I made AA Gold at 16 years old and decided to spend part of my winter break in my senior year of high school on a LGA-DCA-DFW-STL-LGW-RDU-LGA mileage run ($390). I realized I had enough money to buy one upgrade sticker for DFW-STL and I took it. I spent the whole morning anxiously awaiting the flight. And while it was maybe 70 minutes in the air and the service was Sprite in a real glass, a pack of pretzels and a pack of salted almonds, you couldn't have told me CX F was better. I don't know if any flying feeling of excitement will ever top that one.
steve64, JDiver, rayfes and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
We live almost right under one of the approaches to OKC and I can always tell when an S80 is coming in to land. Gonna miss that noise! Hoping I have a few more rides on the S80 left!

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
My first ever upgrade based on my own status was on an AA MD-80. I made AA Gold at 16 years old and decided to spend part of my winter break in my senior year of high school on a LGA-DCA-DFW-STL-LGW-RDU-LGA mileage run ($390). I realized I had enough money to buy one upgrade sticker for DFW-STL and I took it. I spent the whole morning anxiously awaiting the flight. And while it was maybe 70 minutes in the air and the service was Sprite in a real glass, a pack of pretzels and a pack of salted almonds, you couldn't have told me CX F was better. I don't know if any flying feeling of excitement will ever top that one.
Oh man! Reminds me of when I bought a ticket via priceline to go home over the holidays while in college. Ticket was on NW - when I got to the airport the agent told me I'd need to get my seat assignment at the gate. Kind of a savvy traveler already, I asked him "is it overbooked?" - he muttered sheepishly "yeah", clearly not intending to tell me. Oh well, figured it would work out at the gate. Right before boarding they overhead page me and upgraded me to F! I had no idea dinner would be served on the flight, so imagine my excitement when they brought out hot turkey sandwiches - it may well have been Michelin starred. Wasn't even old enough to drink at that point, but that was a thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours to DTW.
rayfes and jtav559 like this.
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Recently finished a visit to Wisconsin. Flew on the MD80 DFW-MKE-DFW both ways and my seat was 5F on both flights.

It felt like I was seated on Virgin America first class when I adjusted my seat back. It just kept going backwards.

I am going to miss this plane.

AA domestic first class is a perfect example of newer is not better.
rayfes likes this.
Old Oct 28, 18, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Greg76248 View Post

I just booked DFW - IAD instead of DCA for this very reason!
Just finished my DFW - IAD flight. Had about 1.5 hour maintenance delay after boarding. No worries - enjoyed a few drinks in 5F. Finally got underway and enjoyed the nice quiet ride!
Old Oct 28, 18, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I will miss that plane. My absolute favorite.

On a related side note (tail mounted engines) when did AA stop using the 727 and Fokker? Where they both primarily dfw based?
Old Oct 29, 18, 4:25 am

Flew aboard this plane between RDU and DFW last year many times. While an older bird, it was comfortable up front.
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood and Hilton Peasant, AA and United It All Depends
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post

On a related side note (tail mounted engines) when did AA stop using the 727 and Fokker? Where they both primarily dfw based?
727's were getting old and cost more than an MD-80 to operate. In it's day the MD-80 was quite the seat-mile cost improvement. More or less a straight replacement for the 727's. McDonnell Douglass all but gave them some loaner demos to try out and it worked.

AA friends told me the Fokkers were inefficient compared to what was promised, and were premature maintenance hogs.. Problem children and then became parts orphans with Fokker's demise. Just didn't work out.

Recurring DFW rumor(s) that seems to have legs is AA was all but signed to be a launch customer on the 717 stretch, as more or less a 1-for-1 replacement for the MD-80's. But Boeing canned it when the base model didn't sell well and told them to buy 737's. Without any sort of consideration for having left them at the altar. (Twice. They had also been in discussions about an all-new aircraft in the same size range before being jilted). Which did not go over well and left a wide-open door for Arbus.

All of which I really can't know, but they are both long-lived rumors around AA, DFW and the local business community. But lack of verifiable sourcing never stopped anybody on Flyer Talk before. People I know with substantial connections to all three swear they are accurate.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 29, 18 at 5:14 pm
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

AA retired the 727-200 on April 30, 2002. Its last flight was from MIA-RDU. Towards the end it was based mainly in MIA but beforehand it was in ORD and DFW. I grew up in New York in the 1990s and AA put the 727 on less premium routes from there so for instance LGA-DFW got the "newer" MD-80s and EWR-DFW got the 727-200. They went to MIA and the Caribbean a lot too.

The last Fokker-100 flight was in late September, 2004. Towards the end it flew short haul routes from LGA (YYZ was popular) and long and thin ones from ORD (ORD-HPN being a good example). It also served as an early RJ type plane for AA flying routes you now see flown by CR7s, CR9s and E75s.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:30 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I'm seeing quite a few Mad Dogs in the air tonight... are these replacements for the 737Mistake-8's?
https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD83
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
I'm seeing quite a few Mad Dogs in the air tonight... are these replacements for the 737Mistake-8's?
https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD83
Some of them may be. 24 MAX 8s grounded, or flying on ferry to maintenance bases anyway, and possibly still some ATS Oasis foukup 738s still on the ground - Spring Break week. The MDs could be filling in.
DenverBrian and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:52 am

I flew the Fokker many times ORD-ALB. I don't recall ever flying them out of DFW.
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin View Post
I flew the Fokker many times ORD-ALB. I don't recall ever flying them out of DFW.
Like someone mentioned above it definitely sounds like an early RJ type plane to secondary airports. Perhaps ORD was where they were stashed.

Search this Thread