Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC-CUN Award booking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat Charge (UK), SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Dia, PP,
NYC-CUN Award booking

Hi
Trying to secure 4 tickets on miles between NYC and CUN next year on 6/29/19. I've spent countless hours searching. Closest I can find is 3 seats in J from JFK-DFW, but 4 seats onward DFW-CUN in Y.

I've been trying since the day availability came online with no luck. Any help/suggestions/creative routings? Think I've tried most of the obvious connections but have noticed better availability on married segments.

Needs to be MilesSaver availability as I'm booking via BA on avios so not sure whether the married segment even works.

TIA for any help.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Four saver award seats in a single transaction on the same flight? Good luck.

More practically, set some ExpertFlyers alerts (and hope they aren't rendered useless by married segment availability). Contemplate breaking up the party into 2 x 2. Book 3 now and hope to add one later...
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:32 pm

Why would you want to do that? The non-stop fares will go down quite a bit and liekly be around $3-400.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I agree. Pay cash--it won't be too expensive to a nearby leisure destination. Save your miles to go somewhere longhaul/exotic, like HKG or EZE.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
4 J saver seats on a single flight to CUN would be quite remarkable. Not impossible, but not likely.

If you want certainty, you will need to adjust your expectations substantially.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by erik123
Why would you want to do that? The non-stop fares will go down quite a bit and liekly be around $3-400.
Agreed. Multiple (4+) seats do pop up with some regularity to leisure destinations like CUN, but OP is severely limited by needing to travel on one particular day.

This upcoming Monday there appears to be at least J saver seats available for the JFK-CUN. Next June there are also some days with multiple J saver seats available, just not on the specific day OP wants to travel.

If the fare isn't absurd though, just save your points and buy the trip.
caj2310 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:00 pm

It is highly likely the fare will come down a few months out. Airlines don't load there cheaper fare buckets this fare out.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by chrisjohnston01
Needs to be MilesSaver availability as I'm booking via BA on avios so not sure whether the married segment even works.
Unless you're booking the same flight number, you're paying for two segments. 17,500 Avios in coach/35k in J each way for a flight that's going to maybe be $300-400 USD round trip... I suppose you're Avios rich and cash poor? Because it's not a great use of Avios. CUN is in low season that time of year (oddly enough, nobody likes going into the Northern tropics during Northern summer when they can stay at home and get warm weather instead of steaming hot, rainy weather).

GIven that BA Gold gives you lounge access + extra baggage + better seats + priority boarding anyways on those flights, I don't know how much value comes from J (unless it's the only way to book those flights). JMO.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I agree. Pay cash--it won't be too expensive to a nearby leisure destination. Save your miles to go somewhere longhaul/exotic, like HKG or EZE.
OP is spending Avios. If you think AA's chart is terrible, try looking at Avios for a 5500 or 6500 mile trip in F. Prepare for the eye watering. Oh, and YQ on EVERYTHING.

Originally Posted by erik123
It is highly likely the fare will come down a few months out. Airlines don't load there cheaper fare buckets this fare out.
This this this this this this this. Unless one is flatly determined not to spend cash and to burn the miles/points, and one doesn't care about how many cents per whatever, it's all about not spending any cheddar.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 17, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
OP is spending Avios. If you think AA's chart is terrible, try looking at Avios for a 5500 or 6500 mile trip in F. Prepare for the eye watering. Oh, and YQ on EVERYTHING.
No, not on everything. No YQ on AA within the Americas -- North and South. No YQ on AS. No YQ on LATAM worldwide. No YQ on QF intra-Australia.

Long-haul in premium cabins using BA Avios -- with or without YQ -- is costly, but BA's multi-partner redemption chart in J for a long-distance itinerary is more reasonable.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat Charge (UK), SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Dia, PP,
Thank you all for the comments/advice.

I am actually looking for Y availability - BA Gold means I don't get a great deal more for the points in J. And, yes, avios rich and trying to keep costs down for this trip. The rest of my trip was easy enough to book (4 J flights from London to NY/back from CUN using 2x241 vouchers) which is a very good use of Avios despite the YQ etc.

Never used Avios on AA before so this is a whole new experience. I was attracted by the very low cash outlay on taxes/fees (e.g. direct flight JFK-CUN is only 10k avios + $30 pp). I value Avios @ 1p/1.3c. Sounds like the best option is to wait it out and look at discounted Y cash tickets once the fares are loaded.

Last edited by caj2310; Oct 18, 2018 at 2:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.