Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Under “Project Oasis” all legacy AA Boeing 737-800 / 738 aircraft will join the densely configured 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 go on in the 2020s in their “densified” version with the oversized Boeing Space Bins. The densification began during late 2018 and is expected to be complete sometime in 2021.

See AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

For the A321-200 retrofit program under “Project Oasis” see A321 / 32B old to densified A321 / 32B Oasis Aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

See registration numbers of retrofitted “Oasis” standard aircraft on the (unofficial) AA Fleet site in the two pages of 738s - “classic” and “enhanced” versions.

Those reported as refitted show F16, Y156 (MCE30) and “BSI - SPACE” denoting the new Boeing Space Bins, allowing 60 more carryons per aircraft). The pages also list type of IFE, WiFi, etc.

Gary Weissel, managing director of Tronos Aviation Consulting Inc., estimated that American could generate about $400,000 a year for each seat it adds to a plane, based on average fares and typical aircraft usage.
Types:

100 Boeing 737 MAX 8: (began arriving 2018 “out of the box”)

304 Boeing 737-800 737-800 / 738 (rapidly being retrofitted)

Configuration:

Final “Oasis” configuration: F16, Y156 (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi mostly? via ViaSat, seat power 110 VAC universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output, oversized Space overhead baggage bins.

See here for SeatGuru seat chart.

First / Business: (16 seats in rows numbered 1-4, A , DF) Rockwell Collins MiQ (similar to AA Premium Economy seats without foot rests) with 37” seat pitch. NOTE unrefitted 737s have rows 3-6 in F).

Main Cabin Extra: (30 seats numbered rows 8, 9, 10, 16 and 17, seats ABC and DEF) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 33” seat pitch.

Main Cabin: (126 seats numbered rows 11-15 and 18-33) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 30” seat pitch.

SeatGuru claims

• First: Pitch 37”, width 21”
  • Main Cabin Extra : Pitch 33”, width 16.6-17.8”
  • Main Cabin: Pitch 30”, width 16.6-17.8”

NOTE: AA does a poor job of retaining your booked or equivalent seats in equipment change situations, which will only increase until 152 aircraft are refitted.

At shoulder height, the width of Rockwell’s Advanced Spacewall restroom -- made by the company’s B/E Aerospace unit -- is about the same as older economy-class restrooms. The space savings comes around sink level, as the wall curves in to allow a row of three seats to be tucked under the bend. The lavatory, which is just one available option, provides seven inches more of cabin space, according to a Rockwell spokeswoman. The company and several airlines declined to provide full dimensions.

The refitted aircraft sport the new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y). First / Business seats.

The smaller restrooms as installed “out of the box” on American’s 100 new 737 Max aircraft have prompted employees to dub it the Mini. - Bloomberg, 9 Jun 2018
FOR LIST OF CONVERTED Boeing 737-800 aircraft to densified 737-800 / 738 “Oasis” (all 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 aircraft arrive in the “Oasis” configuration out of the box): see American Airlines (unofficial) fleet site 738 Classic (link) and 738 Enhanced link listings. Old versions are 16 / 144, new “Oasis” are 16 / 156.

This retrofit is occurring fairly rapidly, and there are 304 738s. Rather than tediously updating a list here, look at the AA fleet site pages linked to above. The fleet site is updating their information in a timely manner.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Thanks to all who have posted very useful information here. My first business trip next year is a run to SLC (DFW-SLC) the week of January 7. At least one of the 737-8s on that route has been converted to the new layout as the exit rows are now 16-17.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MJonTravel
There absolutely could be more room underneath the seats in Y. The issue in F is something specific with the way the seats were designed/built, and there is way less space than before because the center console extends so far down. I've flown United's new slimline F seats and they're way better.
Are they using the Rockwell Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Aspire? The difference is 2 kg / 4.4 lbs weight each, which certainly allows for more or/and denser padding, etc.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
My trip from PHX to ORD was Oasised” last week. I had booked 6A/6B but received a dreaded equipment change notification the night before. They moved us to 1A/1B, which I was not happy about. Instead of simply shifting rows 3-6 to 1-4 they used some strange decision making instead. I was not happy with the bulkhead seat as there was less room to stretch my feet with no seat in front of me. The seat itself was meh. I could sure tell that a lot of padding was missing after sitting in it for 3 hours. I decided to not try the lavatory haha.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Hippster
My trip from PHX to ORD was Oasised” last week. I had booked 6A/6B but received a dreaded equipment change notification the night before. They moved us to 1A/1B, which I was not happy about. Instead of simply shifting rows 3-6 to 1-4 they used some strange decision making instead. I was not happy with the bulkhead seat as there was less room to stretch my feet with no seat in front of me. The seat itself was meh. I could sure tell that a lot of padding was missing after sitting in it for 3 hours. I decided to not try the lavatory haha.
Too bad about the Oasis - the Meridian is 2 kg lighter than, say, their Pinnacle seat, so one would expect less padding, etc. in Coach. But the AA version of MiQ F is more like MiQ kay ee wye...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I had the displeasure of flying on an Oasis 738 from MIA-DFW. Quite a different experience than riding in the "PE" outfitted MCE section on a 772 on the way there a week prior.

1. The seat-back storage/device holder I thought was nifty until I found that with my phone, it only fit with an upward angle that was not only non-ideal for watching movies, but which had a bad glare from the overhead lights. I had to jerry-rig trash to prop the phone up in a way that didn't show this glare and not tip over my phone.

2. It was about an hour into the flight until the WIFI system was working. Not sure why. Neither my phone, my wife's phone, or my kids tablet could get logged in to the wifi network to access AA's entertainment, nor did I see anyone around me getting on.

3. The pretty much total lack of barrier between economy and first was more unnerving than I thought it would be. I was in the second row of MCE (row 9?) and didn't really enjoy seeing so openly first class get served meals, nuts and everything else just two rows in front of me (though, I am pretty sure they didn't get PDB). It's not so much a jealousy thing (though, that is part of it, compounded by the fact that my comp upgrade rate is nearly 0% with my travel patterns), but rather more of a distraction. The constant back and forthing of the flight attendant serving stuff to others is something I suppose never bothered me when I am in first myself (since I am getting served), but in coach its like having that annoying flyer nearby that gets up every 5 minutes to stretch, mess with stuff, and do things in the aisle. I always thought one of the minor benefits of being near the front in economy is having less motion occupy your field of vision. Oasis takes that away.

4. The MCE legroom seemed okay -- no different really despite the inch less, but the seat padding did feel thinner after a couple of hours of sitting on it.

I didn't venture into the bathrooms. I was going to, but I was at the window and getting up would require a very careful ballet of crossing over my daughter's and wife's laps while taking care not to bump their personal devices onto the floor. I think that is also an issue with the bring your device issue -- it makes getting in and out of your seat all the more difficult.....
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA
People will continue to defend it, but BYOD is pretty awful all around. It of course makes it more difficult and more annoying to get up because each row is cluttered with devices on tray tables.

I had a new one on a recent flight: the pilot's message interrupted the movie I was watching on my own device. Now, I don't really care about pilot or FA interruptions (unless it's a credit card spiel) but this is one of the reasons the BYOD-fans brought up as an advantage. Not anymore!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
My recent 738 from SFO-ORD on December 31... not sure if that was Oasis'd? I was in Y (non-MCE), and the seat was decent enough, didn't feel thin or anything (although I'm not sure what metric to use to compare). There was no AVOD in front of me, although there were power ports. Didn't get a chance to use the lavatory, and I think there was a curtain between F and Y, although I wasn't paying close enough attention. This was the redeye. How can I tell if my 738 was Oasis'd or not?

Also, question: was Oasis an pmAA plan, or post-merger?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
The new seats have a phone/tablet holder mounted in the back of the seat in front of you for your personal device as opposed to either a screen in the seat back or (in older models) an overhead monitor. There are other ways to tell, F starts at row 1 instead of row 3, no full bulkhead between F and Y, just a small ceiling mounted divider.

In all honesty, I could see the Y seats on the Oasis airplanes being perceived as OK, even if the cabin is a bit tighter. At least there's now power at all seats and that little device holder seems useful. First on the other hand, the differences are more drastic.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by bridge29
People will continue to defend it, but BYOD is pretty awful all around. It of course makes it more difficult and more annoying to get up because each row is cluttered with devices on tray tables.

I had a new one on a recent flight: the pilot's message interrupted the movie I was watching on my own device. Now, I don't really care about pilot or FA interruptions (unless it's a credit card spiel) but this is one of the reasons the BYOD-fans brought up as an advantage. Not anymore!
I tweeted AA last week with a photo of me holding my tablet up where a screen would be exprwssong that no one ever has said they preferred that to an in seat screen. All they replied was that they also enjoyed the episode of "Fixer Upper" I had been watching - they can't even try to defend it any longer.
railmatt and TXguy like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by bridge29

....How does that even work?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by DCP2016
....How does that even work?
Yes if you are streaming something on your device using AA satellite (or whatever its called) the program will pause for PAs. I noticed that a few months back.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yes if you are streaming something on your device using AA satellite (or whatever its called) the program will pause for PAs. I noticed that a few months back.
UGH
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Does anyone know at what point a pre-Oasis seat map will start showing the new Oasis seat map once AA knows it is getting swapped? Is it usually like 4 hours before, or some other time (like once the inbound equipment departs it's originating airport)? I have a 738 pre-Oasis flight tomorrow and keep checking the seat maps to make sure I'm not being Oasised and thus having my FC seat assignment getting screwed up.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Seems as though swaps can be last minute. My flight to TPA got switched to a Max last minute. That $5 piece of plastic that separates Y and F just screams tackiness.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm reading on the interwebs that the government shut down is slowing down the Oasis conversion due to a lack of FAA inspectors. Truly, every cloud has a silver lining...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.