Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Under “Project Oasis” all legacy AA Boeing 737-800 / 738 aircraft will join the densely configured 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 go on in the 2020s in their “densified” version with the oversized Boeing Space Bins. The densification began during late 2018 and is expected to be complete sometime in 2021.

See AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

For the A321-200 retrofit program under “Project Oasis” see A321 / 32B old to densified A321 / 32B Oasis Aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

See registration numbers of retrofitted “Oasis” standard aircraft on the (unofficial) AA Fleet site in the two pages of 738s - “classic” and “enhanced” versions.

Those reported as refitted show F16, Y156 (MCE30) and “BSI - SPACE” denoting the new Boeing Space Bins, allowing 60 more carryons per aircraft). The pages also list type of IFE, WiFi, etc.

Gary Weissel, managing director of Tronos Aviation Consulting Inc., estimated that American could generate about $400,000 a year for each seat it adds to a plane, based on average fares and typical aircraft usage.
Types:

100 Boeing 737 MAX 8: (began arriving 2018 “out of the box”)

304 Boeing 737-800 737-800 / 738 (rapidly being retrofitted)

Configuration:

Final “Oasis” configuration: F16, Y156 (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi mostly? via ViaSat, seat power 110 VAC universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output, oversized Space overhead baggage bins.

See here for SeatGuru seat chart.

First / Business: (16 seats in rows numbered 1-4, A , DF) Rockwell Collins MiQ (similar to AA Premium Economy seats without foot rests) with 37” seat pitch. NOTE unrefitted 737s have rows 3-6 in F).

Main Cabin Extra: (30 seats numbered rows 8, 9, 10, 16 and 17, seats ABC and DEF) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 33” seat pitch.

Main Cabin: (126 seats numbered rows 11-15 and 18-33) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 30” seat pitch.

SeatGuru claims

• First: Pitch 37”, width 21”
  • Main Cabin Extra : Pitch 33”, width 16.6-17.8”
  • Main Cabin: Pitch 30”, width 16.6-17.8”

NOTE: AA does a poor job of retaining your booked or equivalent seats in equipment change situations, which will only increase until 152 aircraft are refitted.

At shoulder height, the width of Rockwell’s Advanced Spacewall restroom -- made by the company’s B/E Aerospace unit -- is about the same as older economy-class restrooms. The space savings comes around sink level, as the wall curves in to allow a row of three seats to be tucked under the bend. The lavatory, which is just one available option, provides seven inches more of cabin space, according to a Rockwell spokeswoman. The company and several airlines declined to provide full dimensions.

The refitted aircraft sport the new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y). First / Business seats.

The smaller restrooms as installed “out of the box” on American’s 100 new 737 Max aircraft have prompted employees to dub it the Mini. - Bloomberg, 9 Jun 2018
FOR LIST OF CONVERTED Boeing 737-800 aircraft to densified 737-800 / 738 “Oasis” (all 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 aircraft arrive in the “Oasis” configuration out of the box): see American Airlines (unofficial) fleet site 738 Classic (link) and 738 Enhanced link listings. Old versions are 16 / 144, new “Oasis” are 16 / 156.

This retrofit is occurring fairly rapidly, and there are 304 738s. Rather than tediously updating a list here, look at the AA fleet site pages linked to above. The fleet site is updating their information in a timely manner.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Another good reason to check in before arrival at the airport. If there is an a/c change you might catch it in time to avoid being seated in 32B. I doubt there's much other strategy. AA generally doesn't switch the type of equipment and its fairly rare and unannounced. Over the past few months I've had a LUS 319 switched to a LAA 321 and 738. I've noticed in hubs that if a flight is oversold AA will often upgauge the equipment rather than ask for/force bumps. The two flights if had been on a 319 would have needed required bumps.
Yes, it IMO this is different, because it’s just a switch from a legacy 738 to an Awaysis 738, legacy 738 to a MAX (on longer routes in particular, this saves significant fuel), or in the near future legacy (non-T) 32B or A321 to an Awaysified version. I’m not sure Dispatch would take these issues into consideration unless they decided to put a 172 seat 738 on a route scheduled for a 160 seater for reasons of oversales.

Over time, this issue will just get worse until we are left with no legacy narrowbodies and they’re all “More Sardines Throughout Coach” under Awaysis. Flying this airline in coach domestically or equivalent in the 2020s will be painful. “Main Cabin” will become “Pain Cabin”.

The fleet with Awaysis in the 2020s:

A321 (LAA, LUS, neo) - 299 (20 A321T)

B737 (738, 7M8) - 404

A319 (will they?) - 133
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, it IMO this is different, because it’s just a switch from a legacy 738 to an Awaysis 738, legacy 738 to a MAX (on longer routes in particular, this saves significant fuel), or in the near future legacy (non-T) 32B or A321 to an Awaysified version. I’m not sure Dispatch would take these issues into consideration unless they decided to put a 172 seat 738 on a route scheduled for a 160 seater for reasons of oversales.

Over time, this issue will just get worse until we are left with no legacy narrowbodies and they’re all “More Sardines Throughout Coach” under Awaysis. Flying this airline in coach domestically or equivalent in the 2020s will be painful. “Main Cabin” will become “Pain Cabin”.

The fleet with Awaysis in the 2020s:

A321 (LAA, LUS, neo) - 299 (20 A321T)

B737 (738, 7M8) - 404

A319 (will they?) - 133
At some point after this is done (maybe even before!), as long as Dougie is still at AA, we’ll again be hearing about densification issues. I suspect Y will end up with 28” pitch at some point.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AA2070
In the interim, if swapped to a 737 LEAST 8, or a reconfigured bird, does the ticketing condition "CHANGE OF EQUIPMENT NOT ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER" cover cancelling and refunding the ticket? I seem to recall when the 777-200 had a Pacific and Atlantic configuration, that swap wouldn't have been enough, but if a 77L was swapped in for a 77W, that would be enough to cry foul.
I've seen this go both ways but it had more to do with the agent's interpretation (maybe that's why the policy is intentionally broad?) so if it was a 737 to a 7M8, that wasn't as difficult to make a case as a 737 to a 737 "Awaysis" retrofit. The challenge is that the updates/swaps are going to become more rampid and you'll really have to tend to your PNR garden more than ever before.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by TXguy

At some point after this is done (maybe even before!), as long as Dougie is still at AA, we’ll again be hearing about densification issues. I suspect Y will end up with 28” pitch at some point.
The only good thing is it seems as though the International ULCC isn't doing so well. Wow just pulled out of three cities after lots of fanfare. Maybe a 28-29 inch seat for 8 hours plus might not be so salable albeit it never ceases to amaze me what people (particularly Americans) will put themselves through to save a few bucks. As long as people will continue to buy a 28 inch seat in mass that's the direction airlines will go in. Sadly for business travelers that don't fly enough to always upgrade or travelers like me that are willing to pay more (and consequently travel less) its not a pleasant situation. Maybe the goal is to make Y so miserable people with more disposable income will shell out $$ for F. Kind of like why people won't take the city bus to work and instead drive their own car.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by TXguy

Well, the original proposal was 29” pitch. Some say the heaviest pushback was from cabin crew - after all, AA needs four FAs (FARs require 1:50) whether the aircraft seats160 or 172. More work for the same number if cabin crew.

Though I’m sure “Awaysis plus” weighs in the minds of WN management. After all, six more seats - can one fit 12? - and 29” pitch means $$$.

Gary Weissel, managing director of Tronos Aviation Consulting Inc., estimated that American could generate about $400,000 a year for each seat it adds to a plane, based on average fares and typical aircraft usage
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well, the original proposal was 29” pitch. Some say the heaviest pushback was from cabin crew - after all, AA needs four FAs (FARs require 1:50) whether the aircraft seats 150, 160 or 172. More work for the same number if cabin crew.

Though I’m sure “Awaysis plus” weighs in the minds of WN management. After all, six more seats - can one fit 12? - and 29” pitch means $$$.
And people like "Gary" and their analysis are why the airlines do it. Suddenly shareholders are saying why aren't you collecting that additional $400K per seat. Remember most of the public stock is held by a very small (and mostly rich) part of our population. I can assure you that "Gary" will never be found seated in 32B.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I wonder how this decreasing pitch impacts customer decisions on Eagle flights vs. mainline on routes where there is overlap (e.g. ORD-STL)? I might choose an Envoy E-175 over a Max-8 on a route that has both offerings.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ksweeney
I wonder how this decreasing pitch impacts customer decisions on Eagle flights vs. mainline on routes where there is overlap (e.g. ORD-STL)? I might choose an Envoy E-175 over a Max-8 on a route that has both offerings.
Yeah as far as I know (probably because of union contracts with the pilots) no RJ's will be getting densified, so it's coming to the point now where Flying on a CRJ-900 or E175 will become a much better flight than flying on an A321 or 738.
JDiver, TXguy and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yeah as far as I know (probably because of union contracts with the pilots) no RJ's will be getting densified, so it's coming to the point now where Flying on a CRJ-900 or E175 will become a much better flight than flying on an A321 or 738.
For many of us, flying on an E175 is already much better than any mainline plane.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The problem with switching to Envoy, etc,. is the operational crapshow one gets. July 2018 data from the DOT's September Air Travel Consumer Report:

- twice the rate of cancellations as the industry average

- twice the rate of baggage complaints as the industry average

- 40% higher rate of IDB than the industry average (and 14x that of Delta Connection)

It's not just RJ versus mainline. AA's RJ ops are verifiably, statistically bad.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Enjoy....just went through this but in FC.

one must be militant about checking seat assignments now.

another #goingforgreat experience 🙄
For what frames does this happen where 1st Class seats are lost?

It may be obvious but I can't think of examples right this moment.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by tikchik
For what frames does this happen where 1st Class seats are lost?

It may be obvious but I can't think of examples right this moment.
Even if the F Cabin is the same, seats can be lost in the shuffle. Not to mention the legacy 738 F seats are numbered 3-6, whereas on the MAX and 738 MSTC it’s 1-4. AA just doesn’t handle this kind of stuff competently.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
“Main Cabin” will become “Pain Cabin”
That's hilarious!
Will MCE be rebranded as Extra-Pain Cabin??
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I think I’ve been oasisified but can’t tell. Just boarded 890 to OAK. The plane is a 320 with zero power, new super thin seats and no IFE.

Wait! Think I found the outlet. No sorry, just an empty void in the seat.

Bravo Parker!
Attached Images  
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by enviroian; Oct 17, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:42 am

Even if the F Cabin is the same, seats can be lost in the shuffle. Not to mention the legacy 738 F seats are numbered 3-6, whereas on the MAX and 738 MSTC it’s 1-4. AA just doesn’t handle this kind of stuff competently.
Same happens on eagle when they swap cr900 to cr700, one numbers consecutive, one skips from 3 to 8, MCE being 8,9,10 on one, 4, 5, 6 on the other. Burned more than once on this, and have no idea how they manage to screw this up, there are 3 MCE rows in each plane, move folks in the 3 rows in one to the same three rows in the other. But no, picking row 9, you keep row 9, and at check-in, 4-6 are already full, how'd that happen. I might be off a row number or two, but you get the idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.