Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Under “Project Oasis” all legacy AA Boeing 737-800 / 738 aircraft will join the densely configured 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 go on in the 2020s in their “densified” version with the oversized Boeing Space Bins. The densification began during late 2018 and is expected to be complete sometime in 2021.

See AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

For the A321-200 retrofit program under “Project Oasis” see A321 / 32B old to densified A321 / 32B Oasis Aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

See registration numbers of retrofitted “Oasis” standard aircraft on the (unofficial) AA Fleet site in the two pages of 738s - “classic” and “enhanced” versions.

Those reported as refitted show F16, Y156 (MCE30) and “BSI - SPACE” denoting the new Boeing Space Bins, allowing 60 more carryons per aircraft). The pages also list type of IFE, WiFi, etc.

Gary Weissel, managing director of Tronos Aviation Consulting Inc., estimated that American could generate about $400,000 a year for each seat it adds to a plane, based on average fares and typical aircraft usage.
Types:

100 Boeing 737 MAX 8: (began arriving 2018 “out of the box”)

304 Boeing 737-800 737-800 / 738 (rapidly being retrofitted)

Configuration:

Final “Oasis” configuration: F16, Y156 (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi mostly? via ViaSat, seat power 110 VAC universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output, oversized Space overhead baggage bins.

See here for SeatGuru seat chart.

First / Business: (16 seats in rows numbered 1-4, A , DF) Rockwell Collins MiQ (similar to AA Premium Economy seats without foot rests) with 37” seat pitch. NOTE unrefitted 737s have rows 3-6 in F).

Main Cabin Extra: (30 seats numbered rows 8, 9, 10, 16 and 17, seats ABC and DEF) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 33” seat pitch.

Main Cabin: (126 seats numbered rows 11-15 and 18-33) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 30” seat pitch.

SeatGuru claims

• First: Pitch 37”, width 21”
  • Main Cabin Extra : Pitch 33”, width 16.6-17.8”
  • Main Cabin: Pitch 30”, width 16.6-17.8”

NOTE: AA does a poor job of retaining your booked or equivalent seats in equipment change situations, which will only increase until 152 aircraft are refitted.

At shoulder height, the width of Rockwell’s Advanced Spacewall restroom -- made by the company’s B/E Aerospace unit -- is about the same as older economy-class restrooms. The space savings comes around sink level, as the wall curves in to allow a row of three seats to be tucked under the bend. The lavatory, which is just one available option, provides seven inches more of cabin space, according to a Rockwell spokeswoman. The company and several airlines declined to provide full dimensions.

The refitted aircraft sport the new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y). First / Business seats.

The smaller restrooms as installed “out of the box” on American’s 100 new 737 Max aircraft have prompted employees to dub it the Mini. - Bloomberg, 9 Jun 2018
FOR LIST OF CONVERTED Boeing 737-800 aircraft to densified 737-800 / 738 “Oasis” (all 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 aircraft arrive in the “Oasis” configuration out of the box): see American Airlines (unofficial) fleet site 738 Classic (link) and 738 Enhanced link listings. Old versions are 16 / 144, new “Oasis” are 16 / 156.

This retrofit is occurring fairly rapidly, and there are 304 738s. Rather than tediously updating a list here, look at the AA fleet site pages linked to above. The fleet site is updating their information in a timely manner.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I don't have tail numbers, but if you have plans to fly from Miami to San Juan (SJU), prepare to be "Maxed"; "Oasised"; or wondering if that 767 will go mechanical.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Went through some equipment swaps this weekend while booked in FC on the 737. IMO, the algorithm for seat changes for the FC cabin is all fubar'd. Since both planes have 4 rows of 4 seats in a 2x2 configuration, you'd think that an equipment swap would be able to maintain everyone's position in FC. In other words, if you're sitting in the 2nd row starboard window, the algorithm would just change your seat from 4F to 2F or back again. But no, I guess that's just too logical.

I flew AUS-MIA-SJO, last Friday, with both legs booked on a legacy 737. I was booked in 5F AUS-MIA and 4F for MIA-SJO. 22 hours before departure the AUS-MIA leg was swapped with an Oasis 737, and my position in the cabin stayed the same. I went from 5F to 3F. 20 hours before departure the equipment went back to a legacy 737, and this time I kept 3F as my seat, moving me to the bulkhead. The MIA-SJO leg changed from a legacy 737 to a Oasis 737 and I kept 4F, moving me from the second row to the back row.

It seems strange that the IT department would move people around in the cabin when it would be extremely simple to keep the FC seats in the same position. It makes me think these things just aren't thought through.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Went through some equipment swaps this weekend while booked in FC on the 737. IMO, the algorithm for seat changes for the FC cabin is all fubar'd. Since both planes have 4 rows of 4 seats in a 2x2 configuration, you'd think that an equipment swap would be able to maintain everyone's position in FC. In other words, if you're sitting in the 2nd row starboard window, the algorithm would just change your seat from 4F to 2F or back again. But no, I guess that's just too logical.

I flew AUS-MIA-SJO, last Friday, with both legs booked on a legacy 737. I was booked in 5F AUS-MIA and 4F for MIA-SJO. 22 hours before departure the AUS-MIA leg was swapped with an Oasis 737, and my position in the cabin stayed the same. I went from 5F to 3F. 20 hours before departure the equipment went back to a legacy 737, and this time I kept 3F as my seat, moving me to the bulkhead. The MIA-SJO leg changed from a legacy 737 to a Oasis 737 and I kept 4F, moving me from the second row to the back row.

It seems strange that the IT department would move people around in the cabin when it would be extremely simple to keep the FC seats in the same position. It makes me think these things just aren't thought through.
Any junior developer fresh out of college can write a quick script for seat change algorithm. I’m not sure why aa can’t implemwnt it !
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just got Oasis'ed from 6F to 1F for tomorrow......sigh.......
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gateH15
Any junior developer fresh out of college can write a quick script for seat change algorithm. I’m not sure why aa can’t implemwnt it !
no kidding. I'm taking a scenic route of CLT-EYW-MIA-BOG (expensive as it is, the non stop CLT-MIA was 2.5 grand) and I cleared EYW-MIA at T100. As the ONLY person in the F cabin right now, it assigns me to the rear row of 4 and on the 2 side.

why?????
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Superjeff
Isn't Delta doing the same thing, down to the "Space Flex" lavatories? I haven'tI think the problem we're seeing goes beyond American, although I'm not a happy camper either. I actually flew United recently in Y, ORD-DFW, and it was a sardine can, especially the lavs. and I got stuck in a middle seat three rows from the back.
Delta is maintaining 160 seats on its 738s, and adding IFE screens to its fleet rather than removing them. UA is maintaining 166 seats on its 738s. (AA is going up to 172.)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
no kidding. I'm taking a scenic route of CLT-EYW-MIA-BOG (expensive as it is, the non stop CLT-MIA was 2.5 grand) and I cleared EYW-MIA at T100. As the ONLY person in the F cabin right now, it assigns me to the rear row of 4 and on the 2 side.

why?????
Is your stored preference window or aisle? There are 2 picks for aisle, 1 for window. Not that the algorithm is necessarily smart enough to pick up on it, but that's one possible.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by autdi
Is your stored preference window or aisle? There are 2 picks for aisle, 1 for window. Not that the algorithm is necessarily smart enough to pick up on it, but that's one possible.
window. So it got that part right.

I dont know any solo traveler who prefers being on the 2 side and also in the back, so it is quite odd that the system picks that.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antarius
I dont know any solo traveler who prefers being on the 2 side and also in the back, so it is quite odd that the system picks that.
I much prefer aisle, but rear right is far and away my favorite window seat!

I believe the current domestic upgrade algorithm is rear right to front left. It’s changed a few times over the years, but it’s much better than the previous algorithm of front left to rear right which dumps the highest elite in the bulkhead. But this is probably an argument for another thread.

To keep this somewhat on topic, I think we can conclude now that AA makes no attempt to reassign seats on any aircraft swap. You will keep your assigned seat on the new aircraft if it exists regardless of how dissimilar it is to your existing seat. If it doesn’t exist, you will be randomly assigned to an available seat.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
By luck or not, I've had great success with picking row pre-Oasis 4 and maintaining a non-bulkhead seat during Oasis'd swaps. I didn't read enough up-thread to know if that's a common theme or if it's just chance but it's worked out in the past three swaps thus far.

Good luck with the flight!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:09 am

I was on one of these flying PBI-DFW last night although not on outbound. First time. Luckily was not in 1 or 4. Seat was hard as a rock. Could not fit my bag under seat in front of me nor could the person sitting next to me. No one knew where outlets were. First flight where gogo didn’t work. Is AA getting rid of them? What do I do with prepaid passes. By the time I paid for and got connected to viasat flight was almost over. Also if I am just flying for weekend I don’t take laptop or tablet and iPhone has no headphone jack so was unable to listen to any audio. These days I mostly fly for “pleasure” and predominantly to PBI as that is where my 90-year old mother is and I pay for FC ticket as I am a fearful flyer so I don’t have much option as no one else flies nonstop but we will definitely look into other airlines when flying to NY and Seattle where other family lives and/or for vacations. I am doubtful anything will be done to change this and I truly feel for those in coach. Sigh I am old enough to remember when flying was truly a pleasure and enjoyable. It was flight 2640 not sure how to update the list. Can someone clarify how you can tell when booking if the aircraft is one of these? If you are on a 321 could it be swapped? Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Has anyone managed to get anything other than a canned response to complaining that being moved from an exit row to a non-exit row of the same number when plane swaps happen? I got some nonsense about keeping others together. It's an exit row, you don't move disabled to that row, or family with kids, it looks to be the quickest thing they could copy and dump out.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
As this same thing happened to me a few flights ago, I don't understand why they can't just shift the entire section up 2 rows. I dislike the front row bulkhead seats as I can't stretch my feet out as much and staring at a wall in front of me sucks. If I wanted that seat I would have booked it! I used to love row 6 in first with the solid bulkhead behind me with no fear of my seat getting disturbed.

Does anyone know where row 5 gets moved to, 2? 3-4 stay the same?
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Add N845NN and N852NN to the list of Oasis'd 738s.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:26 am

Anyone have experience with the Oasis'd Exit Rows vs. normal MCE?

I'm DCA - MIA next month and debating between 17C (second exit row aisle, 'green' rating on seatguru) vs. 10C (second row of MCE, aisle).

I usually prefer to be front of plane, as a rule...

What is everyone's opinion? Anyone flown in either? I'm setting an expertflyer alert for the bulkhead seat, but wondering which spot to sandbag in the meantime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.