Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'll probably end up ticketing LAX-NRT and just book my own connection to HKG. Don't want to risk losing the award space on the longer leg of the trip!
Old May 22, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by josephstern
Data point: I ticketed one itinerary last night. This morning, processing is complete.

For seats, there were no windows available. Seems surprising since this is in March 2016. Do they hold those for JAL elites?
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
That is my suspicion as well. I booked an F award > 9 months away and all the window seats were unavailable. I thought that a bit odd so far in advance of the actual flight. So I am in the middle which I do not really care for.
I suspect they hold the window seats for their own members. I know many airlines including BA save certain seats in their F class cabin for their own highest elite members.

When I flew JL F a few years ago, all the window seats were occupied by Japanese passengers and I was the only non-Japanese passenger in F. But it was an overnight flight and I pretty much slept through the flight and just remember their PJs were of decent quality.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Expanded JAL Availability for AA Members - Booking Tips

Haven't spent much time with AA over the past few years so maybe a simple question, but is there an easy way to get the JL PNR to get seats assigned? if i call AA will they have the info or do i need to contact JL with the ticket number? On UA most award reservations have a box w partner pnr, but didn't see anything like that (aa mobile site at least) here. thanks

dan
Old May 22, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by raybolt
Haven't spent much time with AA over the past few years so maybe a simple question, but is there an easy way to get the JL PNR to get seats assigned? if i call AA will they have the info or do i need to contact JL with the ticket number? On UA most award reservations have a box w partner pnr, but didn't see anything like that (aa mobile site at least) here. thanks

dan
You need to call AA and they will give you the JL PNR.
I am not a big fan of UA in general but UA (actually CO) has a FAR superior booking engine in EVERY way - I wish AA "got with it"
Old May 22, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raybolt

dan
I couldn't find it anywhere online either, but if you call, they'll have it. And you can use it on the JAL site to select seats.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Thanks for the replies, I'll give em a call.

dan
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:14 am

Long wait to ticket JAL award flights

Originally Posted by mkjr
many thanks. i am not too worried but would have liked it to have issued before the deadline on my avios in case i had to burn those to book instead.

[BTW, as you noted, mine issued this afternoon]

Booked our two JAL Biz Class award tix using AA miles on July 20, even had seats assigned by AA rep, but on July 26 it still showed as "On Request." When we called AA about this, we were told: "It's probably fine but there's a chance you might not get the tickets. JAL hasn't confirmed."

Yikes, wish we'd been told this earlier -- we've already made non-refundable hotel bookings!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by eb1020
Booked our two JAL Biz Class award tix using AA miles on July 20, even had seats assigned by AA rep, but on July 26 it still showed as "On Request." When we called AA about this, we were told: "It's probably fine but there's a chance you might not get the tickets. JAL hasn't confirmed."

Yikes, wish we'd been told this earlier -- we've already made non-refundable hotel bookings!
I've never heard AAgents say that. Usually they will send a request to the desk to investigate. Call back and check with a supervisor.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I've never heard AAgents say that. Usually they will send a request to the desk to investigate. Call back and check with a supervisor.
Tried to do that but missed the callback from AA. Wasn't looking forward to speaking with them; find AA reps almost unfriendly, compared to UAL reps.

All is well, though. Our two JAL Biz award tix, requested on July 20, were confirmed and ticketed today, July 29. Whew.

Last edited by eb1020; Jul 29, 2015 at 8:12 pm Reason: Updated info
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by eb1020
Tried to do that but missed the callback from AA. Wasn't looking forward to speaking with them; find AA reps almost unfriendly, compared to UAL reps.

All is well, though. Our two JAL Biz award tix, requested on July 20, were confirmed and ticketed today, July 29. Whew.
AAs' agents are extremely inconsistent--in my experience either truly awful or super helpful. Some of the worst agents will tell you there is no availability without even checking.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA PLAT, SPG PLAT,Marriott Plat, HYATT PLAT, National Exec
Booked JAL SFO to HND in first for my wife and I. Took 2 weeks to go from "on request" to ticketed. They must be very behind.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
I wonder how they handle ticketing for an award booking less than a week out? I was gonna throw together a last minute trip based on last minute redemption availability...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I also had a JL award staying "on request" for a few days. I finally called in and the agent was able to force ticketing on the spot.
My understanding is that the ticketing queue is sorted by flight date, so close-in booking should get priority.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I booked a JL award for my wife on Friday. Hasn't ticketed yet. If it hasn't by the 1st, I'll call but at this point, doesn't seem anything to worry about. While I've had partner awards ticket within few hours, I've also had them take 4 to 5 days, and once more than a week.
I currently have a JL redemption booked on Saturday still in the "on request" pile. Granted I'm not traveling until Feb 2016...

ETA: It literally just ticketed as I posted this. Now if my outbound CX flight I booked at the same time for the same trip would also ticket I'd be a happy camper.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
I wonder how they handle ticketing for an award booking less than a week out? I was gonna throw together a last minute trip based on last minute redemption availability...
AA can push through ticketing immediately if it needs to. I returned from Indonesia last week. Our flights were cancelled when volcanic ash closed the Bali airport. Rather than rely on CX, I called AA while I was on the way back to the hotel. By the time I arrived, all 3 of us, each on a different PNR, had been ticketed on new flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.