Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Old Apr 29, 15, 10:50 am
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Any reason not to book as two one-ways?
I think it incurs additional booking fees since they have to be called in separately? We are AA Plats, not Executive Plats.
Old Apr 29, 15, 11:13 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
I think it incurs additional booking fees since they have to be called in separately? We are AA Plats, not Executive Plats.
There is no longer a call in charge for awards that cannot be booked online
Old Apr 29, 15, 12:52 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Paulchili View Post
There is no longer a call in charge for awards that cannot be booked online
OOh, nice!
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
I have a question on booking AA award on JL. Hope someone can help???

So I know some inventory is released at 330 days. However, do I need to WAIT until the return leg is also released to put the tix on hold? I know I have a 5 day hold window, but I don't know if I can do that 5 days before the return leg with a dummy return leg that has been released and then call back to change the date of the return leg when the real one opens up???
I think that the only risk is that, if you have to cancel the itinerary, you will incur two sets of cancellation fees. Given that you can fly in F for a cash outlay of $5.60pp (plus miles, of course), I think it's a risk worth taking.

I was able to snag 2 F tickets LAX-NRT for next March on my first try, even though I miscalculated when availability would open up and missed the first available date by 4 days. I still have another week (I think) before I can book my return from SIN, and that looks like more of a challenge because SIN-NRT doesn't show up as available very often, while NRT-LAX does. We shall see....
Old Apr 30, 15, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
I had to make a change to my 2 F awards on JL switching from the NRT-LAX flight to NRT-ORD flight. 3 weeks after my required date had opened for booking there were still 2 F seats available to change to.

If you have to grab J and then upgrade to F if it opens up later on.
Old May 8, 15, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
I had to make a change to my 2 F awards on JL switching from the NRT-LAX flight to NRT-ORD flight. 3 weeks after my required date had opened for booking there were still 2 F seats available to change to.

If you have to grab J and then upgrade to F if it opens up later on.
Thanks for that - I snagged two seats in J on CX last night because JL hadn't opened up for award booking - for some reason AA was able to hold a flight at 332 days out. It was a 1:20 (am) flight to HKG, then a 5 hour connection time, so not ideal. But I looked today at 6:00pm Pacific time (10:00am Tokyo time seems to be the magic opening time) and voila - two F seats! BC to Narita, then FC going home. Yippee!
Old May 18, 15, 1:20 pm

Expanded JAL Availability for AA Members - Booking Tips

I thought a thread for those of us who booked JAL First due to the recent extra availability using AA miles would make sense.

Most of us haven't flown JAL before and also probably haven't redeemed AA miles for JAL flights before.

I think the earliest mention of this expanded award availability came from Ben's blog:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ace-wide-open/

There are tons of comments there, but the format here just makes more sense for a discussion on this topic.

For me, I'm booked in three RTs, each with a different group of others, one going on to Shanghai. So far, they are each on five day AA award holds, but I'm hoping to use all of them. Worst case, I'll book them, and eat the AA cancellation fees down the road or try to change the dates.

On one leg with one group, we fly into HND, which is nice, but it necessitates a stop in SFO. The others all go into NRT, but are nonstop from LAX.

For the Shanghai trip, the AA rep was struggling to make it book properly. Sounds like the first stumbling block was that NRT-PVG is two-class. So she had to input them all as segments, but the system did total up the price correctly (135K miles plus around $60 in fees).
Old May 18, 15, 2:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If it's about redeeming with AAdvantage miles, it belongs in the American Airlines forum; we'll move it there for you. It might be merged into an existing thread.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old May 18, 15, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
If it's about redeeming with AAdvantage miles, it belongs in the American Airlines forum; we'll move it there for you. It might be merged into an existing thread.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
OK. Thanks. I was torn on which was more appropriate.

I do hope people will post info about these flights as they book and take them.
Old May 18, 15, 3:13 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
I've booked and flown a few JL awards lately. A couple things I've learned to keep in mind:

- The SFO-HND flight is extremely convenient for connections. However, because of the late departure, the meal service is not as elaborate as other F flights since most people will sleep right away. The snack menu is also different from the other F flights. But the flight is incredibly convenient.

- You can only book Y for domestic JL segments. Paid upgrades at the airport are very inexpensive, though (it's between 900 and 1000 yen one way--less than $10).
Old May 18, 15, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
- You can only book Y for domestic JL segments. Paid upgrades at the airport are very inexpensive, though (it's between 900 and 1000 yen one way--less than $10).
Does that work even for award flights?
Old May 18, 15, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Does that work even for award flights?
Yes. In my experience, if there are seats available in J class, they will allow you to upgrade.

I have even been able to move my flight up to an earlier flight when immigration was shorter than expected, etc. If I remember correctly, all my domestic award segments on JL book into S class.
Old May 18, 15, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
is anyone else going next week may 28 (may 27th after midnight) or returning june 5 (june 4th after midnight) via SFO?
Old May 19, 15, 8:46 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
I am paying for RT flights to Viet Nam business class using USA to Vancouver and JAL through Tokyo to Hanoi and back from Saigon. Can I use miles to upgrade to FC?
Old May 20, 15, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Paso Fino View Post
I am paying for RT flights to Viet Nam business class using USA to Vancouver and JAL through Tokyo to Hanoi and back from Saigon. Can I use miles to upgrade to FC?
You cannot use AA miles to upgrade on JAL. You may be able to use JAL Mileage Bank miles to upgrade, which can be transferred from SPG, but I have never done so and do not know the mechanics of doing so. You may want to ask specifically about Mileage Bank in the JAL forum.

If you are flying YVR-NRT, there is no F, though, so this may all be moot anyways. I would see if you can reroute to go JFK/ORD/LAX-NRT on the 77W, which would have JAL's new buisness class, which is IMO one of the best (if not the best) business class products overall. YVR has JAL's old, angled flat business class.

Search this Thread