Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I know about CX releasing F at the last minute and plenty of CX J availability. I will definitely be on CX flights on the return. I was wanting to mix it up and use JL in one direction if it is feasible and doesn't take too much longer than CX.

The only flights Hong Kong to Columbo are in the evening. That's the problem. I'm trying to avoid a 12 hour layover in Hong Kong.
Yes, the CX evening flights are certainly an issue. Looks like you'll have to be doing some overnighting or long connections somewhere or another, though. Just have to weigh the pros and cons such as whether you'd prefer an overnight on land or in the air (with an added leg). If you do choose to overnight on land, are there any routings that would put you in HKG for a reasonable amount of time? If you got in in the evening and then took that 6 PM to CMB the next day, you could have a reasonable bit of time there (within 24 hours of course). With the BKK option you've listed, there wouldn't really be enough time to get anywhere for a decent night's rest.

Also depends of course on how much of a hurry you're in to get to CMB.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold
The cost on a hotel overnight in Hong Kong would be far more than in BKK I assume. I'd only be using an airport hotel.

There are CX flights that get into HKG at 6:00-7:00am which would have a 12-14 hour connection time. We could go into the city to look around, have lunch, shop and then go back to the airport for the 8:00pm flight to CMB. I am concerned I'd be so tired and jet lagged it would all be a blur.

There are plenty of ways to get to CMB using CX but I'm wanting to use JL if I can and it is not that much longer of a journey.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:09 pm

The cost on a hotel overnight in Hong Kong would be far more than in BKK I assume. I'd only be using an airport hotel.

There are CX flights that get into HKG at 6:00-7:00am which would have a 12-14 hour connection time. We could go into the city to look around, have lunch, shop and then go back to the airport for the 8:00pm flight to CMB. I am concerned I'd be so tired and jet lagged it would all be a blur.

There are plenty of ways to get to CMB using CX but I'm wanting to use JL if I can and it is not that much longer of a journey.
Well, let us know what you decide on and report back!

The other thing of course is that once your ticket is set you can change routing and upgrade your class of service for free as long as your origin and destination are the same. So if any advantageous changes in schedules or award availability pop up, you can capitalize on them.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
A report back on JAL J HND-SFO.

Remodeled J lounge is decent, looks appealing but nothing particularly special. Two floors, buffet on the bottom. I got in at 915 pm, nice and quiet, went upstairs to use the massage chairs, back down at 1015, packed to the gills and not very pleasant at all. Showers were good.

Seat on 777-300 was as mentioned. Slept well, but still not my bed at home (not expected to be of course). Pillow was poor. Seats were definitely very private, but almost to the point where you couldn't see anything going on in the plane from the window seat. Between this and food ordering not being on, I had to hit the call button a few times, which I generally prefer not to do. I used wifi for an hour ($10/hr or $18 for the whole flight) and it was decent.

Service was outstanding. Always very kind and happy to get whatever I wanted. Towards the end of the flight I couldn't find my tablet. I tore my seat area apart with no luck, so mentioned it to a flight attendant thinking maybe it had fallen out while I was sleeping and someone had given it to the crew. She proceeded to get on hands and knees and tore the area apart even further and found it.

Overall, a great 50k mile redemption.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:19 pm

I've booked a CX J-JL F-AA F award and it has been ticketed.
Now I want to change my FF number (to my QF OWE one) so I can get better seat selection.
I have the CX, JL and AA record locators but cannot change the FF program and number using all the online methods I know.

I can log in to all CX, JL and AA "home" websites and only CX has the option of changing the FF number. However when I go to do so I can't change it over (an error message of "try again later" comes up).

I've also tried the RJ, AB, BA, Saudi websites to look up the PNR and none of the 3 work in all of those sites. I have previously used them to change FF numbers of other (revenue) bookings with no problem.

Funnily enough I have made AAward bookings before and used the CX website (when a CX flight was part of the itinerary) to change the FF number and it has saved (and given me better seat selection) successfully.

Would my next option be to ring up AA again?

Also I saw that I was charged $6 for the fare and $73.80 for the taxes and carrier imposed charges. Is this right (the $6)? Itinerary is HKG-NRT-ORD-DFW btw.

On the JL website, some of the seats are blocked but EF shows that none of them are allocated. I did drop from AA PLT to no status just recently...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Kangol
I would call the individual airlines and have them insert your FF # into their own PNRs, just in case changes on AA's side don't flow through.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Kangol
I've booked a CX J-JL F-AA F award and it has been ticketed.
Now I want to change my FF number (to my QF OWE one) so I can get better seat selection.
I have the CX, JL and AA record locators but cannot change the FF program and number using all the online methods I know.

I can log in to all CX, JL and AA "home" websites and only CX has the option of changing the FF number. However when I go to do so I can't change it over (an error message of "try again later" comes up).

I've also tried the RJ, AB, BA, Saudi websites to look up the PNR and none of the 3 work in all of those sites. I have previously used them to change FF numbers of other (revenue) bookings with no problem.

Funnily enough I have made AAward bookings before and used the CX website (when a CX flight was part of the itinerary) to change the FF number and it has saved (and given me better seat selection) successfully.

Also I saw that I was charged $6 for the fare and $73.80 for the taxes and carrier imposed charges. Is this right (the $6)? Itinerary is HKG-NRT-ORD-DFW btw.

On the JL website, some of the seats are blocked but EF shows that none of them are allocated. I did drop from AA PLT to no status just recently...
Have you tried finnair to change your FF#?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by exmike
Have you tried finnair to change your FF#?
+1
That is the one that I always use for this type of transaction.
Let us know if it worked for you.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:11 am

Finnair works to log in only, I tried my JL PNR and got this message:

We are unable to find this booking. Please check the booking reference. (8104)
My CX PNR gets me in, but then I get this error when changing FF numbers:

The connection to the booking system is broken. Please try again later. (9102)
Delete PNR element failed (73111 - 6271)
I just rang AA and they changed it for me. Also asked about the $6 under "fare" and that is a HKG surcharge.

She said "your status is now showing as Emerald" but then when I log back into CX/AY, the AA number is still there and on JL there is no difference to seat availability. 1A, 1K and 2G are still blocked.

Going back to AY and trying to change it to my QFF number (both CX and AY are still showing as AA), it comes up with this:

The same frequent flyer number has been entered more than once. Please validate your entries and try again. (1302)
I might have to ring again and get them to remove my AA #. Sigh. It is still showing in AA under "my reservations".

Edit: Rang AA, they said both AA/QF numbers were in the booking, they removed my AA number (which then removed my Emerald status with QFF), put the QFF OWE back in and now on CX/AY it is showing as QFF. But, going to JAL they are still blocking those same 3 seats. EF shows no F seats allocated and inventory is F7 A7, indicating that the only person with an F ticket is me (unless they want to overbook almost a year out). I'll have to ask in the JL forum if that is the norm. Such is life.

Last edited by Kangol; Mar 7, 2015 at 2:39 am
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:57 pm

"No domestic JAL awards in business class"?

I placed a hold on two itineraries that begins with the same ITM-HND on JAL in Bus., continuing on JAL in F to SFO. No prob.

Then I called to ticket it. No Prob.

Then I obtained the JAL res number via Finnair.com, double checked the reservation at JAL's site and selected seats. No prob.

6 days after calling to ticket, I get an email to call AA regarding one of the itineraries. Call up and they say it is not ticketed because they can't issue an award on JAL domestic (intra-Japan) flights in business class, only econ. Only ITM-HND flight with econ available is 12 hours before my HND departure. As nice as the lounge is from what I hear, 12 hours is a long time to spend there.

They then say that I can call and drop the segment later, which seems contrary to the policy, so I ask them to note our records. Will probably drop segment and take the bullet train, rather than spend 12 hrs in lounge.

Anyone ever heard of and AA/JAL policy "No domestic JAL awards in business class"?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JSteele
Anyone ever heard of and AA/JAL policy "No domestic JAL awards in business class"?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23127995-post21.html
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by JSteele
Will probably drop segment and take the bullet train, rather than spend 12 hrs in lounge.
This sounds like the right choice to me! It's a nice ride.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Yep, when I was looking at that route on BA.com, they also didn't offer J class awards.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold
CMB to MCI routing on JL

How does this look as a routing returning from a vacation in SriLanka? I will try to get award seats in F
UL454 CMB-NRT 11:30pm-11:50am
5h15m layover
JL62 NRT-LAX 5:05pm-9:50am
2h30m layover
AA2402 LAX-DFW 12:20pm-5:31pm
49m layover
DFW-MCI 6:20pm-7:58pm
total travel time 28h55m

I am comparing the JL routing with a CX F routing as follows:
CX610 CMB-HKG 12:45am-8:45
3h5m layover
CX 806 HKG-ORD 11:50am-12:20pm
4h35m layover
AA 7530 ORD-MCI 4:55pm-6:41pm
total travel time 29h6m

Which would you do?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
How does this look as a routing returning from a vacation in SriLanka? I will try to get award seats in F
Since ex-CMB premium class fares are so low, I would never use miles on a return trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.