Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Wow, you are a (wo)man of profound patience. Not sure I could plan a trip 2 years in advance! I get antsy planning 5 months in advance!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by slhansen219
I used the method on a LAN flights to South American and saved over 200,000 miles!!
method?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
Wow, you are a (wo)man of profound patience. Not sure I could plan a trip 2 years in advance! I get antsy planning 5 months in advance!
Originally Posted by saaveraward
method?
Woman. I love planning trips!!! & if I don't plan far in advance for cruises... I don't get the cabin I want!!! My husband doesn't like traipsing all over cities like me... so cruising is our compromise.

Method. Check JAL and BA for flights on CX, JAL or LAN, then when they show up T-331/330 - call AA & book. I got the info on doing this from the CX thread and used the info on a LAN flight. Just want to make sure JAL flights work the same way. Now I have 400 days to just check flight availability patterns, etc. I need a real job!!!!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by exmike
My plans change far too much to book anymore than 6 months out and even that is rare. 3 months is my typical window for a major vacation to start planning.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by slhansen219

Method. Check JAL and BA for flights on CX, JAL or LAN, then when they show up T-331/330 - call AA & book. I got the info on doing this from the CX thread and used the info on a LAN flight. Just want to make sure JAL flights work the same way. Now I have 400 days to just check flight availability patterns, etc. I need a real job!!!!
Ah. Was trying to figure out how you "saved" 200k miles.

Yes, JL works the same way.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Ah. Was trying to figure out how you "saved" 200k miles.

Yes, JL works the same way.
Saved 200k miles by booking LAN business class through AA instead of just booking AA flights! Way cheaper!

Thanks for your and everyone's help!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:46 am

Given that AA release award inventory at T-331 days and JAL at T-330 days, is it possible to book a JL award using AA miles at T-331, one day before JAL members can?

I know of other programs where you can use a partner's miles to book awards on that airline's flights before their own members can.. just wondering if this is the case with AA miles on JL metal.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Kangol
Given that AA release award inventory at T-331 days and JAL at T-330 days, is it possible to book a JL award using AA miles at T-331, one day before JAL members can?

I know of other programs where you can use a partner's miles to book awards on that airline's flights before their own members can.. just wondering if this is the case with AA miles on JL metal.
JAL releases inventory on its own schedule to all it's OW partners, so AA's release window doesn't matter in this case. The more important piece of info is exactly what time JAL releases their inventory each day, since Japan is ~14 hours ahead of US.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
JAL releases inventory on its own schedule to all it's OW partners, so AA's release window doesn't matter in this case. The more important piece of info is exactly what time JAL releases their inventory each day, since Japan is ~14 hours ahead of US.
Thanks. So the earliest I can book on JL metal using any partner program or their own is T-330 days.
What time is inventory released? 10am Tokyo time?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:20 pm

Thanks. So the earliest I can book on JL metal using any partner program or their own is T-330 days.
What time is inventory released? 10am Tokyo time?
A bit after midnight.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
A bit after midnight.
Midnight UTC?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:11 pm

Midnight UTC?
Tokyo time. Register for a JMB account and check the award calendar on the JAL site -- it's timestamped with exactly when it was last updated, and when it's scheduled to be updated next.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold
MCI to CMB on JL using AA miles

I'm looking to take a vacation in Sri Lanka next feb. using AA miles to fly in F or J. I know I can get there on CX. If I can't get seats on the flights I want I could use JL TPAC. What do you think of this routing:

AA 4425 MCI-ORD 6:24am-8:10am
stop ORD 2h45m
JL 9 ORD-NRT 10:55-3:10pm next day
stop NRT 2h55m
JL 869 NRT-PEK 6:05-9:30pm
stop PEK 2h50m
UL 869 PEK-CMB 12:20am-5:55am
8h5m overnight flight to sleep on

Total travel time is 35 hours. The last flight segment would become our hotel for the night and put us into CMB in the morning. The CX flights from HKG arrive midnight.
What do you think?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
I'm looking to take a vacation in Sri Lanka next feb. using AA miles to fly in F or J. I know I can get there on CX. If I can't get seats on the flights I want I could use JL TPAC. What do you think of this routing:

AA 4425 MCI-ORD 6:24am-8:10am
stop ORD 2h45m
JL 9 ORD-NRT 10:55-3:10pm next day
stop NRT 2h55m
JL 869 NRT-PEK 6:05-9:30pm
stop PEK 2h50m
UL 869 PEK-CMB 12:20am-5:55am
8h5m overnight flight to sleep on

Total travel time is 35 hours. The last flight segment would become our hotel for the night and put us into CMB in the morning. The CX flights from HKG arrive midnight.
What do you think?
I mean, it's certainly long, but it is what it is. You have to get to a gateway, then get TPAC, then get to Sri Lanka. That alone is close to 24 hours air time without accounting for connections. PEK is a bit of backtracking. Is there nothing available NRT-HKG that could link up with a CX flight?

Also, FWIW if your decision is resting on the availability of JL F vs. CX J, do know that CX is pretty good about releasing remaining F space close in. If it knocked out a leg and a few hours, I'd personally be willing to gamble on CX J, even as someone who absolutely loves JL F.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I mean, it's certainly long, but it is what it is. You have to get to a gateway, then get TPAC, then get to Sri Lanka. That alone is close to 24 hours air time without accounting for connections. PEK is a bit of backtracking. Is there nothing available NRT-HKG that could link up with a CX flight?

Also, FWIW if your decision is resting on the availability of JL F vs. CX J, do know that CX is pretty good about releasing remaining F space close in. If it knocked out a leg and a few hours, I'd personally be willing to gamble on CX J, even as someone who absolutely loves JL F.
JL 735 NRT-HKG 6:10pm-10:30pm
overnight Hong Kong
CX 611 HKG-CMB 8:10pm-11:30pm or UL 423 6:00pm-10:55pm

If I have to overnight here is an option:
JL 61 NRT-BKK 6:05pm-11:15pm
UL 403 BKK-CMB+1 7:25am-9:20am
31h30 flying/connecting time, 8h10m in BKK

I know about CX releasing F at the last minute and plenty of CX J availability. I will definitely be on CX flights on the return. I was wanting to mix it up and use JL in one direction if it is feasible and doesn't take too much longer than CX.

The only flights Hong Kong to Columbo are in the evening. That's the problem. I'm trying to avoid a 12 hour layover in Hong Kong.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 4, 2015 at 10:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.