Philadelphia-Venice gone or trimmed

Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AS, WN
Philadelphia-Venice gone or trimmed

I just checked in on our April 2019 award reservation, SFO-PHL-VCE, and the PHL-VCE segment was replaced with a dreaded 'Contact a reservations agent' (Would an email have been too much to ask?)
Anyway, tried to make a dummy booking, and no signs of any PHL-VCE nonstops, (in and around April 2019, anyway.)
Haven't actually called reservations yet. Dreading it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Yes, that happens quite regularly to itineraries that are half a year out. In this kind of cases I usually look for a good replacement (MXP? An extra stop in Europe?) and have that ready as a Plan A to present to the reservations agent. And I have some alternatives too in case that does not fly. I usually get something that is as good as or better than what I had before.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's (still) in the schedule to start May 3.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Same thing happened to me last year!

Originally Posted by HBAlameda
I just checked in on our April 2019 award reservation, SFO-PHL-VCE, and the PHL-VCE segment was replaced with a dreaded 'Contact a reservations agent' (Would an email have been too much to ask?)
Anyway, tried to make a dummy booking, and no signs of any PHL-VCE nonstops, (in and around April 2019, anyway.)
Haven't actually called reservations yet. Dreading it.
Last year they opened up the PHL-VCE April flights and I booked one for a cruise out of Venice. A month later they cancelled all the April flights. The "best" options available from out west involved either uncomfortably short connection times (less than 2 hrs at LHR) or really long connection times so I cancelled and booked on United/Lufthansa.

ETA - I also looked at flying into Rome or Milan and taking the train but it requires another transfer which can be tough when you have luggage. But if you travel light and have no United miles, that could also be an option.

Good luck!

Last edited by MellieAZ; Oct 15, 2018 at 9:15 am Reason: Added train option
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Last year they opened up the PHL-VCE April flights and I booked one for a cruise out of Venice. A month later they cancelled all the April flights. The "best" options available from out west involved either uncomfortably short connection times (less than 2 hrs at LHR) or really long connection times so I cancelled and booked on United/Lufthansa.

ETA - I also looked at flying into Rome or Milan and taking the train but it requires another transfer which can be tough when you have luggage. But if you travel light and have no United miles, that could also be an option.

Good luck!
While Rome and Venice are reasonably well connected by train for example, Milano would be a much better option since it is far closer to Venice!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Looks like AA to Madrid and Iberia onward to Venice is an option.

Or even better than the original routing, IB all the way SFO-MAD-VCE if available, but AA can open availability on their own flights, not IB's (or at least not as easily). If needing an extra stop, SFO-JFK-MAD-VCE would be better than SFO-PHL-MAD-VCE.

But I'd look at SFO-LAX-LHR-VCE with BA on the last leg as well.

Last edited by beachfan; Oct 15, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ilcannone
While Rome and Venice are reasonably well connected by train for example, Milano would be a much better option since it is far closer to Venice!
I was only mentioning some of the options that could be explored by the OP. IIRC, the combination I looked at for Milan involved an overnight stay in NY, increasing the travel time while adding the connection to the train. But that was over a year ago so times may have changed.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
I just got back from Italy yesterday my flight was FCO to JFK and I checked AA app the incoming flight was supposed to be PHL to FCO. When the inbound used to be from DFW. So maybe they are swapping the Venice flight for another PHL to FCO route due to seasonal reasons.

Last edited by PandaSoPink; Oct 15, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Aren't they flying ORD-VCE then? If so, SFO-ORD-VCE would be much preferable than SFO-PHL-VCE, at least for me...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
Aren't they flying ORD-VCE then? If so, SFO-ORD-VCE would be much preferable than SFO-PHL-VCE, at least for me...
ORD-VCE doesn’t start till May.
ACA321 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
But I'd look at SFO-LAX-LHR-VCE with BA on the last leg as well.
Last I checked, BA only flew to VCE from LGW, which would make this a nonstarter if it’s still the case (IMO).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Last I checked, BA only flew to VCE from LGW, which would make this a nonstarter if it’s still the case (IMO).
There are three BA LHR-VCE flights tomorrow; and two scheduled for a random weekday I looked up in April.

Pretty easy to look this stuff up...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Last year they opened up the PHL-VCE April flights and I booked one for a cruise out of Venice. A month later they cancelled all the April flights.

Good luck!
It’s an annual tradition!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice

I think we will try and get them to rebook us to MXP and slide over by train. We’ll see how it goes.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:26 am

There is always a risk booking a flight during the first or last month of a seasonal route because the airlines tweak the schedules quite a bit. This year the spring holidays were at the beginning of April, in 2019 they are towards the end. That can have an impact and cause an airline to start a few weeks later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.