Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New revenue stream (gate check pilfering allegation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

So, the new thing seems to be to get people to gate check their luggage, and miraculously, when the luggage arrives, some of the more valuable items are missing.

my daughter flew from Philadelphia to Havana yesterday and was made to gate check her bag. A number of items went missing

how does the revenue sharing work between the AA employees and the company? Is it 50-50? By definition, gate ch caked baggage is likely to have more valuables

it is one way to increase revenues...maybe not the smartest
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I’m assuming your relatives boarded in a later group and overhead space was limited, not unusual on many airlines. Most often those gate checked bags generate no income for AA, as fees ($30) are waived.

Unseasoned newbie travelers often forget to carry a bag for valuables in case they are required to gate check their carryon bags. That’s a great way to lose valuables, important documents, important medicines, etc.

And if ground crew pilfered, it’s difficult to know how and where to report, and what proof is required. At La Habana the issue is further complicated by employees who pretend to work by entities that pretend to pay them, and an impenetrable bureaucracy with nearly absolute powers. Yes, I’ve been there. Warn them tourist pilfering is common and widespread in La Habana, even in chain hotels

Expensive lesson learned, undoubtedly won’t be repeated. I’m sorry they had to learn the lesson this way.
AA100k, MCI777, ijgordon and 6 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 13, 2018 at 7:56 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Most often those gate checked bags generate no income for AA, as fees ($30) are waived.
I think OP was suggesting the revenue stream is from the pilfering.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was an international flight departing the US, so the Montreal Convention applies and OP's daughter is entitled to claim the fair market value of the items up to a maximum value of approximately $1,650. She may be required to provide receipts.

OP was not at the gate, so does not know, but it would surprise me if AA made the standard gate check announcement without including the standard warning about removing valuables and the like.

I'm also not sure why OP thinks that it is the gate-checking which caused the loss. People steal stuff from luggage checked at the counter as well.
JDiver and C17PSGR like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Agree with all the advice given.

I also want to add that ever since the "pilfering" thing happened at BOM flying with CO, I've carried locks for my carry-on bags in case I need to gate check them. It's probably just me, but every time they say "this is a full flight, we're going to have to gate check some bags", I get my locks ready.

No GA has the time to pick a lock...based on how busy they claim they are.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:27 pm

Gee..... Stick a pen into into the zipper and "BINGO" the carryon is open. Take what you want then simply pull the lock all the way around and BINGO the case is closed again. And if you think that EVERY ramp rat in the world does not know that trick, you are a dreamer......

Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I think OP was suggesting the revenue stream is from the pilfering.
I know that, but I’m trying to refrain from saying what I think of that. Particularly the idea that the airline and employees share the proceeds.
Gringa and writerguyfl like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 13, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Pratapcm
So, the new thing seems to be to get people to gate check their luggage, and miraculously, when the luggage arrives, some of the more valuable items are missing.

my daughter flew from Philadelphia to Havana yesterday and was made to gate check her bag. A number of items went missing

how does the revenue sharing work between the AA employees and the company? Is it 50-50? By definition, gate ch caked baggage is likely to have more valuables

it is one way to increase revenues...maybe not the smartest
SERIOUSLY??? If there is something valuable in your bag, why would you not remove it before gate checking, ESPECIALLY when flying to HAV?
Put the stuff in your jacket, Find a plastic bag... Take steps. FWIW, pilfering also happens when bags are not gate checked.
This is not something that is isolated only to AA. I certainly wouldn't based OP's assumption on an isolated incident.

Last edited by mvoight; Oct 15, 2018 at 10:30 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Agree with all the advice given.

I also want to add that ever since the "pilfering" thing happened at BOM flying with CO, I've carried locks for my carry-on bags in case I need to gate check them. It's probably just me, but every time they say "this is a full flight, we're going to have to gate check some bags", I get my locks ready.

No GA has the time to pick a lock...based on how busy they claim they are.
It’s more unlikely, IMO, that a GA would pilfer than a ground employee / baggage handler - who is often enough a contract employee, and perhaps through a third party contract anyway. I place a lightweight bag (some fit in their own pocket-cover) in my carryon so I can put valuables in it - or some duty free, perhaps. My rollaboard has TSA locks, but they’re a minor deterrent and not really assuring any degree of security.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I assume no security of checked items, in spite of locks, tracking devices, etc. I carry two bags on board. One small one which fits under the seat has all my valuables (computer, medicine, documents, camera, and a change of clothes). The other, my rollaboard, has clothing. If I am asked to gate check the rollaboard, and it gets lost or stolen or pilfered (doubtful they’d be interested in shoes and clothes) my trip is still viable. Always assume the worst case scenario with checked bags - lost, stolen, run over by a 747.......

CFM3RD likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
This is always why I carry a bag of small zip-ties in my backpack. They sell small ones perfect for luggage zippers at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Should the GA demand that I gate-check my bag, I simply fasten a zip-tie around the zipper and hand it over.

Is it a pain? Yes. Does it cut down on unauthorized entry into baggage? Most definitely. It won't stop a determined thief, but it will make it much harder to pilfer from the bag.
Diver Boy likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The operations which pilfer luggage are organized and skilled. They are also well equipped. Locks, zip ties, and anything else is just an invitation. These outfits are looking for specific valuables and not to rifle bags for things of interest.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brewdog11
This is always why I carry a bag of small zip-ties in my backpack. They sell small ones perfect for luggage zippers at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Should the GA demand that I gate-check my bag, I simply fasten a zip-tie around the zipper and hand it over.

Is it a pain? Yes. Does it cut down on unauthorized entry into baggage? Most definitely. It won't stop a determined thief, but it will make it much harder to pilfer from the bag.
Not according to the video posted above.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not according to the video posted above.
Yep, I certainly learned how to easily steal from baggage.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yep, I certainly learned how to easily steal from baggage.
The tightly wound saran-wrapping of luggage you find at many Asian airports certainly makes more sense in that context. It's still easy enough to slice through, but I'd imagine many of these are crimes of opportunity.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.