Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Austin787
Dozens of aircraft already have the IFE-less seats installed, with many more seats already on order for future deliveries and retrofits. It would probably be expensive to modify the seat specs to include built in IFE, plus re-do the Oasis aircraft. I don't see Mr Parker agreeing to the costs.

If anything happens, they could have the flight attendants pass out tablets. Maybe charge a fee in economy and complimentary in first class.
They piloted/tried this already with the S80s out of ORD I believe back in 2006 or so.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:35 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Dozens of aircraft already have the IFE-less seats installed, with many more seats already on order for future deliveries and retrofits. It would probably be expensive to modify the seat specs to include built in IFE, plus re-do the Oasis aircraft. I don't see Mr Parker agreeing to the costs.

If anything happens, they could have the flight attendants pass out tablets. Maybe charge a fee in economy and complimentary in first class.
True, but the new F seat is the same seat in Premium Y which has IFE and other airlines have installed seat back video in the Meridian economy seat model. Theoretically they would just need to change the seatback and add the technology and wiring etc.

It shouldn’t be that big of a project, especially if they went with a new wireless IFE-system a la DL, which is supposedly 2/3 lighter than traditional systems.
JDiver, railmatt and no1cub17 like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CLT

True, but the new F seat is the same seat in Premium Y which has IFE and other airlines have installed seat back video in the Meridian economy seat model. Theoretically they would just need to change the seatback and add the technology and wiring etc.

It shouldn’t be that big of a project, especially if they went with a new wireless IFE-system a la DL, which is supposedly 2/3 lighter than traditional systems.
Correct.

The internal debate/struggle on this is absolutely fascinating, unfortunately I can't share the details at this juncture, but there's a real debate going on about in-seat IFE and, so far, looks like a somewhat decent chance the right side prevails.
JDiver, iadisgreat, MCI777 and 7 others like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Correct.
The internal debate/struggle on this is absolutely fascinating, unfortunately I can't share the details at this juncture, but there's a real debate going on about in-seat IFE and, so far, looks like a somewhat decent chance the right side prevails.
so the ABC side gets nothing?
JDiver, phlwookie, wetrat0 and 3 others like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:01 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Somewhat off topic, but I seem to recall reading/hearing from somewhere that after US removed IFE and in-seat power in 2008 (all of their Airbus narrow body fleet had drop down LCD monitors, audio, and EmPower ports at every seat), DP personally regretted the decision to do so a couple of years afterwards. Interesting to see how this is almost the same case around 10 years later.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
They would have to collect them an hour before landing.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't see tablets being available on flights less than 4 hours. The charge to flyers would have to more than make up for the cost of carrying and warehousing the equipment. Then there's the issue of how many tablets do you load per flight? As far as IFE I hope AA reverses it's decision, although I wouldn't hold my breathe. Using my own tablet in flight is a pain.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I don't see tablets being available on flights less than 4 hours. The charge to flyers would have to more than make up for the cost of carrying and warehousing the equipment. Then there's the issue of how many tablets do you load per flight? As far as IFE I hope AA reverses it's decision, although I wouldn't hold my breathe. Using my own tablet in flight is a pain.
And that doesnt solve the #1 benefit of IFE - it doesnt occupy space and require cables. Also it is mounted higher resulting in less neck bending required.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I don't see this happening. I read somewhere that Delta has a team of 200+ people dedicated to nothing but building innovative flight products like this new version of IFE and other things to enhance the passenger experience. I would be shocked if AA had more than 20 people trying to innovate existing IT like the AA app and website much less a single person worried about creating new premium products like IFE.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CLT
Somewhat off topic, but I seem to recall reading/hearing from somewhere that after US removed IFE and in-seat power in 2008 (all of their Airbus narrow body fleet had drop down LCD monitors, audio, and EmPower ports at every seat), DP personally regretted the decision to do so a couple of years afterwards. Interesting to see how this is almost the same case around 10 years later.
Maybe he thought it would be different this time around with BYOD being more common? Either way it was a really dumb decision.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
And that doesnt solve the #1 benefit of IFE - it doesnt occupy space and require cables. Also it is mounted higher resulting in less neck bending required.
I'm in the camp with having built in IFE. Aside from the benefits stated above, I also value the catalog of entertainment of some relatively new releases I wouldn't make an effort to go see in a movie theater or songs not playing on my favorite radio stations. Nice to get outside of my bubble from time to time. Adding the moving map to identify present position and route is always nice. I have a preference for window seats so it's good to be able to plan to a look out the window for sights, or at night, big city lights.

Live TV is a nice to have, even more so should they be able to carry more sport channels. And finally, it is nice to be able to use one's tray for eating, while watching a movie, for example. Simple stuff..
TSparky and enpremiere like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The tighter Y seating sans the exit rows makes retrieving things from your under seat bag a pain. A few weeks ago I took a VDB ending up in non MCE seat (worth the $475 voucher for a 3 hour flight). Trying to contort myself to get my tablet out of my bag was a pain not to mention not much room to place my tablet. I think in part DL uses AVOD to take away from the fact that most paxs are squeezed into a space not really designed for most adults. Being engrossed in a free movie enables people to forget they are being herded like pigs in a pen.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The tighter Y seating sans the exit rows makes retrieving things from your under seat bag a pain. A few weeks ago I took a VDB ending up in non MCE seat (worth the $475 voucher for a 3 hour flight). Trying to contort myself to get my tablet out of my bag was a pain not to mention not much room to place my tablet. I think in part DL uses AVOD to take away from the fact that most paxs are squeezed into a space not really designed for most adults. Being engrossed in a free movie enables people to forget they are being herded like pigs in a pen.
Yup, yup, yup. Also helps tremendously in IRROPS. A two hour delay on the tarmac with a full IFE system sounds great - I'd get to watch an extra movie or two which I wouldn't have otherwise!

We had friends who's DFW-LGA (A32B) flight diverted to BDL, and they commented on the fact that the IFE made the experience much less horrible.
enpremiere likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
Well some good news, if only temporary, according to Lucky over at One Mile at a Time AA is suspending the "Oasis Refresh", Maybe indefinitly!
Old May 21, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
Well some good news, if only temporary, according to Lucky over at One Mile at a Time AA is suspending the "Oasis Refresh", Maybe indefinitly!
The suspension is mainly due to the 737MAX groundings. There isn't much slack to allow for more planes to be out of service, especially with the busy summer season approaching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.