Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by formeraa

Frankly, I wish they would put the money toward running an on-time airline. I'm tired of most flights being late for some reason or other.
Agreed, though in addition to performance there should be focus on maintaining in-flight power. Mounting points would also be very helpful. I expect screens built into seat backs in Y to be as archaic in the 2020s as overhead screens were in the late 2000s.

Nothing is going to stop a certain subset of flyers from vociferously yearning for last-generation technology. I just hope AA doesn't listen to them.
C17PSGR and bse118 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
I think if AA removed IFE and justified that with something else - "because we removed IFE we now offer free snacks in Y', we would see this as something else other than a cost cutting measure

Honestly I don't understand the strategy behind this airline. They seem to be simultaneously improving the premium experience (FL, F dining, PE) while making Y/nonstatus as horrible as possible (Oasis, no IFE - though that applies to F too, IRROPS changes). Okay, fine... But if you're going to do that, don't you want more inventory to sell? Instead of converting Y to PE, they convert J to PE. And while the 321s will have a decent# of F seats, I honestly expected more. But maybe Doug has something up his sleeves...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I am all for them continuing to remove seatback IFE from planes on domestic/shorthauls/narrowbodies.

Airplane time is unplug time - I read an honest-to-god paperback.
plon and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Seatback IFE appeals way more to the Leisure crowd than the business traveler. On a typical flight i see at least a third of them off with folks either working or sleeping.

The wailing about lack of seatback TVs reminds me of the complaints about the early collection of head sets. This day in age- I don't know know of any regular business travelers that dont own their own tablet and NC headsets.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Oct 13, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by oneworld82

not sure what are you basing your statement on...
known facts
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
I am all for them continuing to remove seatback IFE from planes on domestic/shorthauls/narrowbodies.

Does the presence of in-seat IFE interfere with your ability to read a book? I also enjoy catching up on my magazines and news while in flight, but what's wrong with the option of built in IFE?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I don't think removing IFE screens is a bad thing if it reduces weight and cost of their planes. But the alternative is letting people use their personal device to stream the content, which will require reliable wifi and every seat to have and power outsets. So they better be make those upgrades, otherwise might as well go all the way and just not offer the IFE content at all.
My experience of wifi provided content on airlines is that it works well and I can watch it easily on my laptop if I want to ( even if it is just a moving map ) - pretty decent number of movies/tv shows etc can be provided

Seems a great option to me
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
My experience of wifi provided content on airlines is that it works well and I can watch it easily on my laptop if I want to ( even if it is just a moving map ) - pretty decent number of movies/tv shows etc can be provided

Seems a great option to me
Hahaha of course it does! I'm shocked you'd feel this way.

If you want to use your laptop instead, great! It's funny though how DL continues to kick AA's behind in every metric, yet they're the ones wasting money on PTVs.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
The wailing about lack of seatback TVs reminds me of the complaints about the early collection of head sets. This day in age- I don't know know of any regular business travelers that dont own their own tablet and NC headsets.
I have my own tablet and smartphone even as a leisure traveler, but I prefer to watch on a seatback screen. They're much easier on my neck, and allow me to keep my tray table up. If I'm in domestic F and being served a meal, I otherwise wouldn't be able to watch something while eating. Since AA isn't even consistent about offering in-seat power, that can affect personal entertainment as well.

And regarding the headset, just because we can dig our headsets out for the last 30 minutes, doesn't mean it should be necessary in some of our opinion.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Austin787
Vote with your wallet by booking your future flights on Delta.

It is interesting to note Delta's initial A220 routes include flights to DFW. Could Delta win over loyal AA flyers with a better onboard product? Time will tell.
I am DFW-based and have switched to DL where it makes sense (including if I have to make a connection, as long as it’s logical). I really value IFE, but it’s much more about what the IFE represents than what it actually is. It’s also about employee attitude. It’s just so much nicer of an experience to fly DL now. Food in F may not be quite as substantial, but it’s much better quality, and I feel respected and valued rather than an inconvenience.
AANYC1981 and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Seatback IFE appeals way more to the Leisure crowd than the business traveler. On a typical flight i see at least a third of them off with folks either working or sleeping.

I own an iPad and an iPhone (and NC headphones). I often don’t want to lug my iPad along if I have to bring my laptop, and I don’t want to watch a movie on my laptop or phone. Even if I’m not bringing my laptop and am traveling for leisure, I like to bring as few devices as possible that I use for work—if there’s any way to get a break, I try.

And even if I have my iPad or laptop, sometimes I like to multitask and use it for something else while watching TV. Streaming content to your own device offers no value for me, a screen offers a ton.

But like I said, even though I really value the screens, it’s much more about what they represent to me than what they are.
asnovici likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
It would be nice to first have working power outlets, there are almost brand new MAX's flying around with broken power ports. That is completely unacceptable.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TXguy

I own an iPad and an iPhone (and NC headphones). I often don’t want to lug my iPad along if I have to bring my laptop, and I don’t want to watch a movie on my laptop or phone. Even if I’m not bringing my laptop and am traveling for leisure, I like to bring as few devices as possible that I use for work—if there’s any way to get a break, I try.

And even if I have my iPad or laptop, sometimes I like to multitask and use it for something else while watching TV. Streaming content to your own device offers no value for me, a screen offers a ton.

But like I said, even though I really value the screens, it’s much more about what they represent to me than what they are.
+1. I also own all the items you have and don't want to extend my tray to accommodate electronic items plus cords for power. It's nice to just plug in your headphones and watch streaming. The IFE in the 738's is nice not to mention the power in every seat.

I can't speak for the max as I haven't seen one yet in Dallas.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by bse118

Why does everyone have to have your preference? Why not just not use a service you don’t care about? Why would you want to take away options for other customers?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
I was on a 4 hour flight last night. Most passengers were looking at entertainment on their laptops/tablets/phones. Why should AA install expensive IFE, which has to be maintained, when practically everyone has a personal device?

Frankly, I wish they would put the money toward running an on-time airline. I'm tired of most flights being late for some reason or other.
I wish they’d do both, like DL.

And phones don’t count as screens! I notice that even including in F on AA flights with PTVs, 1/2 to 2/3 of people are using them, more in the evenings. On DL it seems to be more like 3/4, again especially on evening flights.

Last edited by TXguy; Oct 13, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.