Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Not gonna happen. If the WiFi actually works I’m ok with streaming. For now gogo sucks.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I don't think removing IFE screens is a bad thing if it reduces weight and cost of their planes. But the alternative is letting people use their personal device to stream the content, which will require reliable wifi and every seat to have and power outsets. So they better be make those upgrades, otherwise might as well go all the way and just not offer the IFE content at all.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
I was on a 4 hour flight last night. Most passengers were looking at entertainment on their laptops/tablets/phones. Why should AA install expensive IFE, which has to be maintained, when practically everyone has a personal device?

Frankly, I wish they would put the money toward running an on-time airline. I'm tired of most flights being late for some reason or other.
What's your point? Next time I'm on a similar length flight and most passengers are utilizing the IFE, I'll come here and post the same. It matters. DL wouldn't be keeping built-in IFE if customers didn't care. Personally it's just logistically easier to take my headphones out rather than fumble with my laptop/tablet, so I'll prefer an aircraft with built in IFE any day. Who wants to watch TV or a movie on a 3 inch phone screen anyway? The funny thing is I think AA has a pretty good selection of content in their IFE - usually lots of recent movies, plenty of TV show episodes (although I haven't seen Curb Your Enthusiasm the last few flights). I'd say the IFE is one of the very few things AA does right these days.
writerguyfl and doglynx like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was on a 4 hour flight last night. Most passengers were looking at entertainment on their laptops/tablets/phones. Why should AA install expensive IFE, which has to be maintained, when practically everyone has a personal device?

Frankly, I wish they would put the money toward running an on-time airline. I'm tired of most flights being late for some reason or other.
Maybe because the power plugs aren't well maintained so no power, and maybe because some folks hate 2 inch screens and maybe because my neck hurts after looking at my phone for 2.5 hours.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
Maybe because the power plugs aren't well maintained so no power, and maybe because some folks hate 2 inch screens and maybe because my neck hurts after looking at my phone for 2.5 hours.
Are people still using flip phones these days?
JMorgana likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I don't think removing IFE screens is a bad thing if it reduces weight and cost of their planes. But the alternative is letting people use their personal device to stream the content, which will require reliable wifi and every seat to have and power outsets. So they better be make those upgrades, otherwise might as well go all the way and just not offer the IFE content at all.
Theoretically this makes sense - AA clearly thought they could remove IFE and maintain the same revenue, increasing their profits in the process. However it's becoming more clear that other airlines (particularly DL) are commanding a revenue premium over AA. I wonder why that is!
doglynx likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I have an iPad with a case that allows it to mount to practically the back of any seat and even when I'm on an AVOD equipped AC I generally still use my iPad over the seat-back IFE. Tablets are getting better and more affordable every year and I would wager the money AA saves in installing and maintaining an AVOD system over the next 5 years will end up being worthwhile as compared to Delta.
JDiver, GTITAN, jspira and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Originally Posted by ECKOA6
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I have an iPad with a case that allows it to mount to practically the back of any seat and even when I'm on an AVOD equipped AC I generally still use my iPad over the seat-back IFE. Tablets are getting better and more affordable every year and I would wager the money AA saves in installing and maintaining an AVOD system over the next 5 years will end up being worthwhile as compared to Delta.
I know that Delta is hinting they may want to follow the AA approach ... notwithstanding the IFE on the 220's. If you read anything about Delta and free wifi, you'll see the CEO talking about wireless IFE. He talks about putting wireless IFE in headrests but we all know what that will actually mean. I just had a four hour flight on an AS plane in their "premium class." No IFE on a new plane but a place to put your tablet on the seat in front of you.

And ... with over 200k actual miles and 150 segments on AA and other airlines this year, I think I've used IFE once (and that was on QR from US to Doha so its a long flight) for anything other than music. Me thinks DP thinks that the profitable business pax are busy working so they don't care about IFE.

Now ... if I could figure out how to get viasat at an affordable price -- or maybe as a benefit -- or how to work with my T-mobile gogo benefit, I'd go for that. The nice thing about DL and AS is that I can use my T-mobile gogo benefit on all their flights so I've moved 50k in miles to them this year while keeping the vast majority on AA.

IFE is a last decade thing ...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA how long to reverse IFE decision?

Not until a new CEO takes the helm.
Wishful thinking!

Remember this Parker character tried to charge passengers for coke and it failed miserably. Cheapness is a disease.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

yes they absolutely can and have already done so with NYC corporate contracts.
not sure what are you basing your statement on...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I know that Delta is hinting they may want to follow the AA approach ... notwithstanding the IFE on the 220's. If you read anything about Delta and free wifi, you'll see the CEO talking about wireless IFE. He talks about putting wireless IFE in headrests but we all know what that will actually mean. I just had a four hour flight on an AS plane in their "premium class." No IFE on a new plane but a place to put your tablet on the seat in front of you.
I don't believe that's a correct interpretation for the Delta A220. There's a press release committing to seatback entertainment.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't think removing IFE screens is a bad thing if it reduces weight and cost of their planes. But the alternative is letting people use their personal device to stream the content, which will require reliable wifi and every seat to have and power outsets.
Emphasis mine.

Delta's TV & movie content has been stored on on-board servers for a long time. The system doesn't need a wifi connection to the ground (or satellite) to work.

I like powerports (both USB and AC) and use them often aboard Delta aircraft but if your tablet has less than eight hours of battery life on a full charge you've got the wrong tablet.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Doug Parker is looking to Spirit and Allegient for his inspiration, not Delta. That's why I status matched over. Economy in DL is a much better experience - IFE, power, wider seats on widebodies. I'm willing to connect to my destination (PHX = AA hub) for those reasons domestically.

Although I will admit that for international business class I am not running from AA/Oneworld. Their 777 and 787 hard product is great, as are the Flagship lounges.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

And ... with over 200k actual miles and 150 segments on AA and other airlines this year, I think I've used IFE once (and that was on QR from US to Doha so its a long flight) for anything other than music. Me thinks DP thinks that the profitable business pax are busy working so they don't care about IFE.

Now ... if I could figure out how to get viasat at an affordable price -- or maybe as a benefit -- or how to work with my T-mobile gogo benefit, I'd go for that. The nice thing about DL and AS is that I can use my T-mobile gogo benefit on all their flights so I've moved 50k in miles to them this year while keeping the vast majority on AA.

IFE is a last decade thing ...
According to other interviews the wireless IFE is what is being put on the A220. So basically things are streamed to the seatback ife.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't believe that's a correct interpretation for the Delta A220. There's a press release committing to seatback entertainment.
I agree there is a press release on the A220's and seatback entertainment.

Whether it will stay that way in 2-3 years or whether installed IFE will continue on any of the US3 is to be determined.

Wireless installations of IFE save a lot of weight and money. The next logical thing after a wireless installation is to skip the installation of the IFE ... and just let pax go with the wireless. I can't say what UA is doing but other than DL and AA (and perhaps UA) every other US airlines is avoiding IFE. And AS rents tablets on its flights ... yet another revenue source.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.