Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:32 am

dangit, of course there is! and it's a good one..i'll post there instead. every thread on here is a wiki or a consolidated thread nowadays. not sure the point of the forum anymore.

mods can lock this thread as it is duplicate
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Easy solution to this. If IFE is important to you, fly Delta. HP management clearly couldn't care less.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I assume the mods can merge these threads. From what I understand (maybe from JonNYC) there's some debate going on (or has gone on) about reversing the decision to rip out IFE from 738s and LAA321s. So far the only mods undertaken have been of older 738s that didn't have AVOD (although did have the old IFE) and LUS321s that do not have IFE/AVOD. Not sure if a decision was ever made.

However, newer narrowbody a/c on order have not been delivered with AVOD. Moreover, even if AA goes back on it's decision to eventually rid the narrowbody fleet of AVOD (other than the LAA 319s) that doesn't mean new a/c or existing a/c will be fitted/retrofitted with AVOD.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:12 am

Tides change. I’m BOS based, and AA clearly doesn’t have its heart in expanding BOS having just killed the a321t here, but who knows about the future.

For now, DL has more connections, IFE, greater seat width and pitch, and happier employees generally. But BA WTP and Heathrow transfers are >> AF PE and CDG, which are what keep me around in OW for now — other than a fear of switching. The IFE might be the last straw though.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am ok with streaming if
1. AA has tablet holders on seatbacks, as my 738 had from SJU-MIA on Sunday. That was my first time using one and it was very useful
2. AA has WORKING power to power the personal devices for streaming video. I recently flew DFW-SJU-MIA-DFW. All 3 of these planes had power ports of some kind (either USB or AC), and none of them worked, at least not in my seat (MCE)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I strongly prefer seat back screens. Frees up personal space and I don't have to fumble around with an iPad during meal service. I also find it annoying that I have to be sure to charge my iPad as not all planes have power outlets. Anytime I get an AA survey I am always sure to ding them on the removal of screens and reduced oasis legroom.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Non-functioning power outlets tonight for me.....very annoying!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:19 am

Agreed

Flew on delta one a330 — really good. between that and the IFE situation, I’m splitting my flying now
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I sure won’t be lobbying for a reinstatement of seat back IFE. Am I the only one here who has ever had someone behind them pounding relentlessly playing some stupid video game on an IFE touch screen in their seat back? I recall these mostly on LUS planes in Economy. I can’t decide which was worse - a kid kicking the seat back or an adult playing a video game. Good riddance!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
On the topic of entertainment onboard....when did AA remove Nexos and Celebrated Living (F/J Class) magazines from the planes? It’s now only American Way with a section inside in Spanish copying what Delta Sky did before it got yanked completely.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
United reinstalling seat back videohttps://viewfromthewing.com/united-a...lder-aircraft/
AAdamE likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 7:56 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I prefer the seatback screen. I don't like watching things on my iPhone (even with the tablet holders) and I also don't like using my laptop because it wastes the space the tray table and I can't multitask in flight. Contrary to common complaints, modern touchscreen technology detects body heat rather than actually movement/motion, so you really don't feel the tapping on your seatback like you used to.

Anyways, if this is true, I view this as an offensive tactic against AA-a tactic that pushes AA closer to the likes of NK/F9, especially considering AA still hasn't announced a return to inflight service in Y.

Kirby likely knows that AA is too far into the Oasis/Kodiak project to reverse course now with all 738s completed.
railmatt, jcain and freeagent like this.

Last edited by CLT; Apr 16, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I don't see this coming back. Everyone i see when I look around in the 'bus is using their own device.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I don't see this coming back. Everyone i see when I look around in the 'bus is using their own device.
I’d feel confident enough to put money on it coming back at this point if United is truly putting it back on board. If AA doesn’t bring it back it’s be a pretty noticeable difference where they’d be uncompetitive.
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent
I’d feel confident enough to put money on it coming back at this point if United is truly putting it back on board. If AA doesn’t bring it back it’s be a pretty noticeable difference where they’d be uncompetitive.
Thats assuming that AA cares, which I don’t think they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.