Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Austin787
The suspension is mainly due to the 737MAX groundings. There isn't much slack to allow for more planes to be out of service, especially with the busy summer season approaching.
That's what the official AA line is, but it's more complicated than that. There's a lot going on that isn't public yet.
JDiver, Daze, DCAstudent and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:10 am

A lot of the conversation about IFE tends to revolve around personal use.

Person 1: I dont use IFE so AA is right in removing it.
Person 2: I use IFE so AA is wrong in removing it.

Im Person 2. However, I think IFE also plays a larger role in perception of the brand at large.

Imagine you check into a nice hotel and the TV offered is a 30 inch CRT from 1998. Straight off the bat, that will leave you with a negative impression of the hotel, even if you dont ever plan on turning it on.

Why? It sends the message that the hotel is cheap.

And lets be real. Nobody likes when things feel cheap. Yes, we all like paying less, but people expect a certain level of luxury.

IFE is the same thing. You walk onto a Delta or Jetblue plane and it feels modern and high tech and dare I say it, fancy. That leaves a good impression. Again, doesnt matter if you dont use IFE, the fact that it exists means the company is doing things to make your trip better.

On the other hand, a plane without IFE feels old and cheap. Doesnt matter if the plane is brand new, it looks more like a Greyhound than a jet.

We are in a capitalist society that essentially runs on perception. Brands spend billions on marketing in order to ensure that people associate their brand with positive feelings. They do it because it works.

AA management was clearly hungover the day they taught those case studies in business school.

"But look at Spirit". Yeah, their whole business model is cheap. Thats fine. You CAN run a successful business on being cheap as possible. Walmart intentionally uses ugly shelving and harsh lighting to send the message that theyre cheap because they want people to associate the brand with low prices. But Walmart sells 79 cent sodas, not $9,000 business class seats to Japan. You cant have it both ways.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Bravo, @jamesinclair !
Old May 21, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's what the official AA line is, but it's more complicated than that. There's a lot going on that isn't public yet.
Perhaps project "Oasis" was actually project "Mirage" where untold profits could be squeezed out of "changes customers won't notice, or care about"..and then "poof", reality hit them like a 2x4 in the forehead.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
IFE is the same thing. You walk onto a Delta or Jetblue plane and it feels modern and high tech and dare I say it, fancy. That leaves a good impression. Again, doesnt matter if you dont use IFE, the fact that it exists means the company is doing things to make your trip better.

On the other hand, a plane without IFE feels old and cheap. Doesnt matter if the plane is brand new, it looks more like a Greyhound than a jet.
​​​​​​I flew 4 AA segments with about 10 friends last year on a mix of LAA and LUS equipment. Which plane got several of them to comment how new the plane looked compared to the others? The 738 with IFE. The funny/ironic thing? It was the oldest plane we flew that trip.
JDiver, wrp96 and jamesinclair like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:47 am

You walk onto a Delta or Jetblue plane and it feels modern and high tech and dare I say it, fancy. That leaves a good impression. Again, doesnt matter if you dont use IFE, the fact that it exists means the company is doing things to make your trip better.

We are in a capitalist society that essentially runs on perception. Brands spend billions on marketing in order to ensure that people associate their brand with positive feelings. They do it because it works...
Excellent points. But having a screen does not automatically make it modern. Many screens in Y are too small, too fuzzy, have badly designed interfaces, respond unreliably to touch, have bad sound, etc. People's expectations change. The first time I flew on a plane with IFE, the above problems didn't matter; it was heaven! But that was then. I agree that a plane without IFE feels like a Greyhound bus; but a plane with 5-year-old IFE also creates a poor perception.

So what's an airline to do? Used to be you'd buy a TV at home and use it for 30 years. Today you are almost obliged to replace it every 5 years. Translate that to an airline cabin; it's expensive. Also, it's hard to make predictions, especially about the future. Some airlines spent money on video inputs (mostly in J); but the standards changed and now you need HDMI. Few people use the inputs anyway. Take another example: power. At first no one wanted or needed power. Then we had AA's funky proprietary system, whose name I have mercifully forgotten. Now USB is common; but I find onboard USB irritating because I'm used to fast charging. We don't know what everyone will want 5 years from now.

I'm not disagreeing that 'bring your own device' for IFE is a copout. But is there an ideal strategy to keep up with technology?
Old May 21, 2019, 10:50 am

Im Person 2. However, I think IFE also plays a larger role in perception of the brand at large.

Imagine you check into a nice hotel and the TV offered is a 30 inch CRT from 1998. Straight off the bat, that will leave you with a negative impression of the hotel, even if you dont ever plan on turning it on.

And lets be real. Nobody likes when things feel cheap. Yes, we all like paying less, but people expect a certain level of luxury.

We are in a capitalist society that essentially runs on perception. Brands spend billions on marketing in order to ensure that people associate their brand with positive feelings. They do it because it works.

AA management was clearly hungover the day they taught those case studies in business school.

"But look at Spirit". Yeah, their whole business model is cheap. Thats fine. You CAN run a successful business on being cheap as possible. Walmart intentionally uses ugly shelving and harsh lighting to send the message that theyre cheap because they want people to associate the brand with low prices. But Walmart sells 79 cent sodas, not $9,000 business class seats to Japan. You cant have it both ways.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:50 am

[QUOTE=CLTFlyr94;31123971]

Nailed it! 🔥
Old May 21, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Walmart intentionally uses ugly shelving and harsh lighting to send the message that theyre cheap because they want people to associate the brand with low prices. But Walmart sells 79 cent sodas, not $9,000 business class seats to Japan. You cant have it both ways.
I did not know that about Walmart! That is fascinating to say the least. Makes you wonder if anyone in AA's management even went to business school.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Austin787
Dozens of aircraft already have the IFE-less seats installed, with many more seats already on order for future deliveries and retrofits. It would probably be expensive to modify the seat specs to include built in IFE, plus re-do the Oasis aircraft. I don't see Mr Parker agreeing to the costs.

If anything happens, they could have the flight attendants pass out tablets. Maybe charge a fee in economy and complimentary in first class.
Alaska hands out digeplayers on longer flights.

Inflight entertainment
We offer two options for inflight entertainment: our streaming entertainment system - Alaska Beyond™ Entertainment allows you to watch free hit TV shows and pay-per-view movies on your own device – and, on most coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights, our premium inflight entertainment tablets are available for rent and loaded with movies, TV shows and more.

Our inflight entertainment tablet
Only on most coast-to-coast and all Hawaii flights*, you can rent our inflight entertainment tablet. As our premium entertainment option, they’re always free in First Class and for MVP Gold 75Ks, and are available for rent in the Main Cabin. Each tablet is pre-loaded with the newest movies you’ll find onboard, plus TV shows, music, and games.

*Flights that offer our tablet include all flights to/from Hawaii, and flights to/from Boston, Baltimore, Washington D.C., New York, Philadelphia, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa.
We know the narrowbody MiQ seats up front may be in for some modification.

We also know it’s entirely possible to have aircraft wireless seatback IFE, and this actually does allow AA to change their minds without the need of fairly complex cabling installations to every new seat. Power is already supplied to the new R/C Meridian seats, WiFi servers are already aboard, so fixed flatscreen tablet-like IFE is within the realm of possibility. There are more choices from a widening array of possibilities if AA wants to reverse course on this issue.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2019 at 11:09 am
Old May 21, 2019, 11:09 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
EXTREMELY well stated. Bravo.

Old May 21, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
We also know it’s entirely possible to have aircraft wireless seatback IFE...
Is it? I mean, do current wifi networks have the bandwidth to serve 150-300 simultaneous video streams? I don't know, I'm just asking. The current 'bring your own device' offerings are not heavily used, seatback video screens will see more use and people will expect cable-TV-style responsiveness.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Is it? I mean, do current wifi networks have the bandwidth to serve 150-300 simultaneous video streams? I don't know, I'm just asking. The current 'bring your own device' offerings are not heavily used, seatback video screens will see more use and people will expect cable-TV-style responsiveness.
Gogo has a product that is currently in use on the Delta A220s, and they are installing it on other Delta planes as well.

https://www.gogoair.com/learning-cen...entertainment/
zpaul likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Is it?

yes.
DCAstudent likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
JameSinclair is very right and I posted something similar on airnetters I think. DL has AVOD on most of its fleet (except for MD88/90) as a means of branding not because hordes of flyers book DL for the AVOD. Companies spend lots of money on branding from sponsoring charity events to coming up with very recognizable logos. It's nearly impossible to attach a ROI to it.

Parker appears to be nuts and bolts case. If something can't achieve a ROI out the door it goes. What he might be missing is the bigger picture.

Also, DL is playing the game of we took away something, namely airline seats that are actually made for adults, and gave you something, free AVOD. Clearly the revenue from additional seats on a plane more than offsets the cost of AVOD.

Spirit on the other hand has a branding of cheap flights-the "Barre Fare" as painted on the side of some of their a/c. Clearly they have no desire to be seen as a full fledged airline offering premium cabins, lounges, IFE and the like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.