Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Just reflecting on NPS, I don't think that it actually impacts consumer behavior when it comes to airline purchasing if the price is right for the casual traveler and frankly, if you're hub or contract-captive, even as a business traveler it doesn't matter.

C17PSGR highlights an important point; if NPS is relevant today/truly important when it comes to air travel, WN's ranking could signify that domestic seat-back IFE isn't really that crucial to the success equation.
And Spirit has one of the highest profit margins out there. I can't imagine their NPS! RyanAir makes as much money as Delta with a very different structure.

Thankfully, AA keeps upgrading me so I don't know who their pretzels compare to the DL pretzel mix I do know the basket of cruddy breakfast snacks on DL and AA are both horrible. The domestic F meals on both are fine and better than on AS. The crews on both are mostly very nice, particularly the junior FA's. Routes with higher seniority on both sometimes have less friendly flight attendants.

But, I'm all for Qatar like soft and hard service on domestic US routes ... I like visionaries!
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by TXguy

Well, no kidding. My point (and I think the point of others such as AANYC1981) has been that if seatback IFE is so terrible and so obsolete, why aren’t they racing to get them off of the planes flying the most premium routes first? That would be most logical, if that assertion was true.
I'm not entirely sure you understand that things (including cabin changes, physical objects and FAA approvals) cost money.

In any event, as has been covered ad nauseam, longhaul and short/mid haul are different beasts.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'm not entirely sure you understand that things (including cabin changes, physical objects and FAA approvals) cost money.

In any event, as has been covered ad nauseam, longhaul and short/mid haul are different beasts.
but not if you’re flying from JFK-LAX/SFO
TXguy likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And Spirit has one of the highest profit margins out there. I can't imagine their NPS! RyanAir makes as much money as Delta with a very different structure.

Thankfully, AA keeps upgrading me so I don't know who their pretzels compare to the DL pretzel mix I do know the basket of cruddy breakfast snacks on DL and AA are both horrible. The domestic F meals on both are fine and better than on AS. The crews on both are mostly very nice, particularly the junior FA's. Routes with higher seniority on both sometimes have less friendly flight attendants.

But, I'm all for Qatar like soft and hard service on domestic US routes ... I like visionaries!
With your very accurate observations about NPS and its lack of a relevance to making money in the airline industry, I imagine the folks behind Net Promoter Score won't be PM'ing you for glowing reviews anytime soon
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I can't imagine why a ME3 airline that has a fortress hub is at all different from a US3 airline that's in a fiercely competitive domestic USA market.

(I know you probably get this. )

"Visionaries" at EY loading up on lavish soft/hard product (and other failing airlines) have essentially lost millions. VX's lavish soft/hard product on shorthaul (including seatback IFE) was indeed visionary but it did not a thing for their profits their first five years of flying- they completely blew their timeline to make a profit and their VC firms had to shovel more cash in repeatedly. Apparently VX's seatback IFE proposition was so compelling for AS that they are going to rip it all out of every pmVX plane over the next 18-24 months or so. But I guess they don't get the "big picture"?

It's easy enough to have a "I'd like some free ice cream and a pony" wishlist for yourself as a customer. The big picture for an airline CEO is understanding you run a business and you're responsible to shareholders. Doug Parker has had chances at multiple airlines via bankruptcy. AS has never gone bankrupt (lacking seatback IFE and all).
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Beltway2A

But it has never been explained why, especially when 7-hour flights are considered “short/mid haul.”

And of course I understand that things cost money. I know that Dougie will do anything to save a buck, which is kind of the point here. I also have pointed out that the latest technology offers lower costs.

Luckily, I’m not required to fly AA.

Last edited by TXguy; Oct 19, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
no1cub17 and TXguy like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by DrunkenDuck
I flew a 73MAX that is in the new configuration. No physical divider between first and coach. Felt odd. I was in F just in front of Y pax. Looks more like a Southwest plane now. My seat was fine. Would have preferred IFE, but I was working the whole flight. So only listened to music.
No Delta flights have a physical divider, Skyteam sucks and Skymiles are toilet paper.

But...enjoy!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
On my recent AA flight, a similar proportion of the passengers were doing the same thing on their personal device. If they weren't looking at their device, they were sleeping and a few were reading good old books. My suggestion is that AA will NOT change its mind UNLESS they start seriously losing higher end business. And, frankly, with load facts as high as they are, there really isn't anywhere for people to go on most routes.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Hate to resurrect this thread ... but some interesting tweets and blog posts today! I'll believe it when I see it though.

Last edited by no1cub17; May 18, 2019 at 6:03 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 17, 2019, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Hate to resurrect this thread ... but some interesting tweets and blog posts today! I'll believe it when I see I though.
care to explain more?
Old May 17, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

care to explain more?
Multiple sources are telling me that American is now debating bringing back seat back video screens to the domestic fleet.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...omestic-fleet/

Last edited by JDiver; May 18, 2019 at 11:52 am Reason: Activate URL, add content as required by Rules when linking to external site
Old May 17, 2019, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/05/17/rumor-american-airlines-considering-bringing-back-seatback-entertainment-for-domestic-fleet/
Thanks! I go on one two hour flight and miss a major topic I care about.

Its funny....as I was sitting once again in MCE since I never get upgraded anymore I thought to myself: if upgrades don’t happen anymore on my routes I’d rather just fly and be loyal to Delta with seatback screens and much better operations and better customer service.

Its getting to the point with AA that I’d rather just be Platinum on Delta and enjoy C+ with occasional upgrades but much better service and getting me to my job on time. Plus I can spend more time at home with the smaller elite requirement.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:28 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I personally don't understand why people are so defensive of BYOD-entertainment and are quick to to call for the removal of IFE (see today's a.net thread on the current topic, for example).

I don't even own a TV at home nor do I have any subscription-based streaming services, so seatback IFE is actually something I look forward to when I fly. I don't own a tablet and I prefer not to use my laptop for entertainment purposes on board as it takes up my tray table space. On all of my recent L-AA A32B/319/738 flights within the last month that were equipped with PTVs, the vast majority of passengers seemed to be using the PTV.

I could see AA using the installation of PTVs as a sort of "bargaining" tool to keep the pitch at 30 inches. I personally would be fine with that.

Last edited by CLT; May 17, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Dozens of aircraft already have the IFE-less seats installed, with many more seats already on order for future deliveries and retrofits. It would probably be expensive to modify the seat specs to include built in IFE, plus re-do the Oasis aircraft. I don't see Mr Parker agreeing to the costs.

If anything happens, they could have the flight attendants pass out tablets. Maybe charge a fee in economy and complimentary in first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.