Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Spiel on EXP line?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Credit Card Spiel on EXP line?!

Does AA have no shame?! I just called the EXP desk to make an award reservation, and after the reservation was made, I was flabbergasted that not on top of the attempt to transfer me to AA vacations, the guy on the line also tried to sell me an AA credit card! I mean the guy should be able to see that I already have one

It's annoying enough that we have to listen to this crap on the plane, but now when we want to get help too? How low will AA go? The only reason I have to call in anyway is because I can't ticket these stupid awards online....

I can only imagine if I were in an IRROPS situation... Oops sorry, the fastest we can get you out is tomorrow... BUT WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN A CREDIT CARD? ALSO, HOW ABOUT BOOKING A NEW VACATION ON AAVACATIONS CAUSE WE JUST RUINED YOURS?

I didn't see this posted anywhere else -- but please merge if it's mentioned elsewhere
It's sad, but I -really- think that customers have to start standing up to these stupid tactics. Maybe all it'll take is a viral scene on a plane for AA to stop.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
You made your reservation then you hung around to listen a CC rap? Was the phone taped to your head or did you just forget about your inalienable right to hang up once normal business concluded? And you're only "annoyed" on the plane if you allow yourself to be, I travel with headphones. It cuts all of that stuff out.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Many years ago, there were articles along the lines that airlines were a frequent flier program with planes ...

Credit companies kept the airlines alive in 2001 and 2008
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Now I'd love to know if the CKs get the pitch on their number as well.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Credit card deals are lucrative for U.S. airlines. Delta disclosed that its revenue from Amex last year was $3.0 Billion - about equal to AA's total pre-tax income.

A simple 'Let me stop you right there. Not interested,' will work wonders.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Yes, I could have stopped the guy, but I was in utter shock that AA would dump the pitch on the "best" customers, most of which already have the damn card.

And I know with a little effort, the rep could have figured that out. That's what the PCC notation is about, I believe

I'm just baffled by the nerve of AA, I mean allowing their reps to do that makes 1) the line busier and 2) annoys customers who probably have the card in the first place.

I mean other posters say I could have just stopped him. True, but why do I have to do that? Does DL do this to DMs too??? This has gone too far!!!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Because great is what we're going for!
no1cub17 and kcmd like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
You made your reservation then you hung around to listen a CC rap? Was the phone taped to your head or did you just forget about your inalienable right to hang up once normal business concluded? And you're only "annoyed" on the plane if you allow yourself to be, I travel with headphones. It cuts all of that stuff out.
Headphones only cut it out if you're using your own device since the PA system interrupts the IFE. I guess that's the only good to come of Project Oasis and PTV removal....

Originally Posted by no2chem
I mean other posters say I could have just stopped him. True, but why do I have to do that? Does DL do this to DMs too??? This has gone too far!!!
I'm only 26k MQM into a Delta switch but I haven't heard any sales pitches yet. But Ed Bastian doesn't look at Spirit with jealous eyes.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We're being sold something all the time. Have you observed how many ads appear with FlyerTalk in a ten-minute session? How many different brands are promoted in an NFL Football game -- at Qualcomm Stadium by ESPN on ABC? Welcome to the 21st century in America. You seem a little lost.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- I wonder whetrher AA EXP offers anything special rather than the usual CC spiel about
a) free checked bag
b) priority boarding
c) your miles never expire
all absolutely useless for EXP
no2chem likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
We're being sold something all the time. Have you observed how many ads appear with FlyerTalk in a ten-minute session? How many different brands are promoted in an NFL Football game -- at Qualcomm Stadium by ESPN on ABC? Welcome to the 21st century in America. You seem a little lost.
<redacted>

Edited to delete the rest of my post -- if you're going to censor the part, censor the whole!

Last edited by platbrownguy; Oct 12, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, I could have stopped the guy, but I was in utter shock that AA would dump the pitch on the "best" customers, most of which already have the damn card.

And I know with a little effort, the rep could have figured that out. That's what the PCC notation is about, I believe

I'm just baffled by the nerve of AA, I mean allowing their reps to do that makes 1) the line busier and 2) annoys customers who probably have the card in the first place.

AA does this because it works. Otherwise, it would not bother. One of the values to AA of a segmented FFP program (what people like to call "elite" levels) is that AA gets a lot of information about its customers.

So, it really falls to you as the customer to say "no" and hang up.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Gotta do something to get the stock price out of the dumpster!

Forget loyalty, sell credit cards!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
AA does this because it works. Otherwise, it would not bother. One of the values to AA of a segmented FFP program (what people like to call "elite" levels) is that AA gets a lot of information about its customers..
Uh, no. Giving every customer the stupid spiel doesn't seem like AA is using this information it gets effectively. When I called, there were significant hold times. By wasting time giving this spiel, the rep effectively held the line for a minute while simultaneously annoying a customer, who already has the damn product anyway! Probably they need to learn what targeted advertising is.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Uh, how is any of this relevant? How am I lost?
zski1 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This is the sign of the times. In your face marketing. I can remember a time when a credit card pitch in flight would have been unthinkable but we live in a Wal Mart world. Even those believing they are at the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.