Is AA being nice re SWUs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is AA being nice re SWUs?

I now have 169,000 EQMS, I requalified for EXP until 2/20 and got an extra 2 SWUs (at 150K). From posts on FT, when you reach 200,000 EQMs you get 25,000 RDMs; I got an email two days ago offering me an additional 2 SWUs...seems nice--BUT, to use them I have to fly in PAID classes (more revenue for AA), most European trips from/to JFK require connections in LHR or PHL...assuming "C" class is available. I have 1 SWU left and am waitlisted on a flt from LHR to JFK with J7 (per EF) and a 1/4 filled BC cabin, yet for my flt on 11/24 I have not (yet) gotten upgraded.
Since AA controls the "C" class output, I don't think they are being "nice".
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are many complaints saying AA has become much more restrictive about releasing C and allowing use of SWU, even at times they used to do so. Of course the new priority for using them puts CK in a class above EP, and prioritizes within tiers by rolling 12 month EQD spend, so that has dropped you to a lower position in the upgrade queue. (You’re still ahead of me, though.)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nrr
<snip> From posts on FT, when you reach 200,000 EQMs you get 25,000 RDMs <snip>.
I have never seen this. I hit 200k EQMs a couple of weeks ago and I didn't get anything other than the 2 SWUs.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
Originally Posted by nrr
From posts on FT, when you reach 200,000 EQMs you get 25,000 RDMs;
Originally Posted by TSparky
I have never seen this. I hit 200k EQMs a couple of weeks ago and I didn't get anything other than the 2 SWUs.
Because that isn't the case at all. You get 2 SWU and nothing else.
JonNYC and C17PSGR like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Huh?

No, AA is not being "nice". 2 additional SWU at 150K and at 200K EQM is a published benefit of the program.

the RDM OP refers to is a complete mystery. Never heard of that.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Well, when you start with 8 and drop to 4 but then offer 2, I suppose that adding 2 to the 4 is being nice depending on how you look at it.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
and there is no C space.......
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SWUs are of limited value for me personally. I've only been able to use three of mine this year and the fourth will probably expire unused. I'll end the year with around 145k EQM (assuming QR ever credits flights to my account). While it wouldn't be hard to snag an extra 5k for the extra SWUs, I just don't see the point.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by pbd456
and there is no C space.......
Now that's just hearsay.

You're just trying to use it for something meaningful. If you want C space, you can easily find it between stations like CYS and DFW
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
I have been consistently able to use all of my SWU each and every year (Y to J), to the point that I have to pick and choose which routes I actually want to use them on vs not because I always run out. Granted I have a lot of overseas trips.

Now that I will be at 300,000 EQM for the year and my company has started to allow J bookings, I expect that they might become a bit less valuable to me, but to say there is no C inventory and that SWU have little value isn’t accurate IMO.
Zacnlinc, bse118 and superweak like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by razzaba
I have been consistently able to use all of my SWU each and every year (Y to J), to the point that I have to pick and choose which routes I actually want to use them on vs not because I always run out. Granted I have a lot of overseas trips.

Now that I will be at 300,000 EQM for the year and my company has started to allow J bookings, I expect that they might become a bit less valuable to me, but to say there is no C inventory and that SWU have little value isn’t accurate IMO.
Have you looked at the routes you used to take that showed C space then now for up coming or distant travel dates?

What did you find?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i have looked at a few months for LAX HKG, only 2 or 3 days have U space and zero date has C space
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
i have looked at a few months for LAX HKG, only 2 or 3 days have U space and zero date has C space
SWU = SystemwideWorrhlessUpdrades

What a joke this airline has dwindled to.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by enviroian
SWU = SystemwideWorrhlessUpdrades
What a joke this airline has dwindled to.
- Exactly! I think I will end up with 1 unused SWU even if (and that is big IF) 2 SWUs will clear in Jan.
It was a very good call for me not to push to 200K EQM last year because otherwise I would end up with even more unused SWUs.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe our resident AA guy JohnNYC can check with his AA cronies and find out why the big devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.