Baggage fees - STL to Bahamas (NAS)

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta
Baggage fees - STL to Bahamas (NAS)

As a non-elite AAdvantage member, is there any credit card I can get that will waive baggage fees from STL to Bahamas? I see the Citi card does for DOMESTIC (and some assorted destinations) but no mention of Mainland to Bahamas. Does such a product exist? Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Correct. To my knowledge none of the AA credit cards waive baggage fees for Caribbean leisure destinations (although Canada is considered "domestic" for bag fee purposes...go figure). I never thought about this loophole as I have the Barclay Aviator card and usually fly domestic, until I flew to CUN last winter and was surprised by the $25 bag fee that popped up on the kiosk. I confirmed with an AAgent at the ticket counter who said that customers are surprised by this almost every day.

I wonder if this is an unintentional loophole- after all, the Citi cards existed long before AA implemented bag fees in 2008 - or just another money grab for the non-elite vacationer. Not a big deal to me personally as I am now AAdvantage Gold and almost never go to the Caribbean, but I can imagine it's an unpleasant surprise to the typical non-elite cardholder who saves all their miles for their once-a-year trip to the Bahamas, etc.!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta
Thank you so much for the quick response! You have nailed our situation perfectly ... grabbed some signup miles and got free flights for a trip to the Bahamas. No airline status but thought I would check on the AA card. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.