AA blocking DFW-HKG O&D tickets?

Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by LonghornSF
I'm specifically looking at AA 125 on Nov 9 and 10. This would be a paid J-class ticket. I would be happy to pay the implied price of a connection (i.e. the IAH-DFW leg), but they won't even sell me the ticket.
I can price out an itinerary on AA125 on both those days, sans problem. (Now)

Last edited by Djokison; Oct 10, 2018 at 11:48 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

success on kayak.ie now.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
success on kayak.ie now.
Yep, using a non-US point of sale returns J7, but using US point of sale returns J0 for Nov 9 on AA 125
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's not new. It's a revenue management technique they've been using for at least 30 years. Fly xxx-DFW-HKG, or hope that AA releases DFW-HKG inventory.
Can you explain how this could possibly be a good revenue management technique? High fare buckets and high filed fares make perfect sense. But zeroing out the inventory?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamOF
Can you explain how this could possibly be a good revenue management technique? High fare buckets and high filed fares make perfect sense. But zeroing out the inventory?
No, he can't.
HKG_Flyer1 and SamOF like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, he can't.
Sorry JonNYC, just trying to see the clear picture here... are you saying it's dumb, or are you saying that this just isn't a thing?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by asf-07
Sorry JonNYC, just trying to see the clear picture here... are you saying it's dumb, or are you saying that this just isn't a thing?
It would be great to know if there is a real logic behind this since higher fares for O&D traffic would seem to be the common approach to capturing that revenue.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Similar issues DFW-LHR R/T for PE for me lately. Tried booking a R/T to WAW via LHR about 4 months ago for a trip this weekend, and PE was W0/P0. Never changed, even though quite a few seats open on the seat map.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enpremiere
It would be great to know if there is a real logic behind this since higher fares for O&D traffic would seem to be the common approach to capturing that revenue.
With no apparent logic (as you point out), and it seemingly only impacting *one* flight, I'd be inclined to go with "glitch"...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by skunker
J on AA can use any of the CX business class lounges or QF lounge at HKG. AA might steer you to the Hong Kong Airlines lounge, but oneworld rules allow entry into the other lounges.
You can't use the arrival lounge if you came in on AA metal.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
With no apparent logic (as you point out), and it seemingly only impacting *one* flight, I'd be inclined to go with "glitch"...
Its not just one route. It's a lot of routes.

And fine by me, makes it easier for me to clear my SWU (thanks to EQD, if I'm flying paid J it's usually on another airline).
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:05 pm

Just fly Cathay and get better service and lounges...oget confirmed business way way cheaper. But shhhh do not tell anyone. Now some blogger is going to write they came up with this concept.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Centurion
Just fly Cathay and get better service and lounges...oget confirmed business way way cheaper. But shhhh do not tell anyone. Now some blogger is going to write they came up with this concept.
Cathay does not have better service. Or food. And definitely not IRROPS support. And with the exception of The Arrival,it's the same lounges.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by no2chem
Sure, but having been in the Arrival, that is a tiny lounge! I much prefer the Plaza Premium across the hall. Has all the same basics, showers and food.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Originally Posted by econometrics
Similar issues DFW-LHR R/T for PE for me lately. Tried booking a R/T to WAW via LHR about 4 months ago for a trip this weekend, and PE was W0/P0. Never changed, even though quite a few seats open on the seat map.
Seeing similar for AKL-LAX in March. DCA-AKL-LAX returns W5/P5, but AKL-LAX returns W3/P0. Trying to book this trip, with an overnight in LAX for four pax in PE is proving quite difficult.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Sure, but having been in the Arrival, that is a tiny lounge! I much prefer the Plaza Premium across the hall. Has all the same basics, showers and food.
Cathay does not have better service. Or food. And definitely not IRROPS support. And with the exception of The Arrival,it's the same lounges.
The OP won’t have access to The Arrival regardless of airline flown as it will have closed on Nov 5th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.