Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant upgrade right after booking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamOF
I'm confused--if the upgrade clearing too quickly prevents a reservation from being ticketed, preventing the customer from flying, why is it odd that there would be a complaint about it?
I took it purely as situational irony. Normally we want upgrades as early as possible, so it's unexpected and humorous that I'm vexed by them happening too fast. I'm hopeful that folks can see both that humor and the fact that it definitely is a live issue that we should be aware of.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by SamOF
I'm confused--if the upgrade clearing too quickly prevents a reservation from being ticketed, preventing the customer from flying, why is it odd that there would be a complaint about it?
To clarify, you're absolutely right. It was an observation of how far the pendulum goes the wrong wAAy in American's Goldilocks-type efforts.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I took it purely as situational irony. Normally we want upgrades as early as possible, so it's unexpected and humorous that I'm vexed by them happening too fast. I'm hopeful that folks can see both that humor and the fact that it definitely is a live issue that we should be aware of.
Thanks for taking it as intended!

It can even have residual effects post-ticketing. Recently a SWU confirmed at the time of ticketing (put a ticket with P segments on hold directly via AA.com but called to confirm that it still had C space available). The agent was able to confirm the upgrade when purchased over the phone but what I almost missed was that the upgrade was applied before it actually was ticketed causing the affected premium economy (P) segment to post EQM as C. An unexpectedly quick call to customer service resulted in the segment properly re-posting with its underlying class instead of C which looked to be a 1 EQM multiplier instead of the expected 1.5 EQM premium economy multiplier but if I hadn't watched for it, that would have shorted quite a bit of EQM on the long haul segment.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
My daughter just asked me for an example of situational irony! I'm going to use your experience as another example for her, thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
TBD -- upgrading can occur within the booking window, but it doesn't necessarily occur right at the window or shortly after. I don't think anyone, but AA would actually know. I've sometimes been upgraded into an almost full F cabin at T-100, but also into an empty one at T-24.
Interesting a good to know, my daughter and I were upgraded for another flight right about T-100, I have another flight that is now within T-100 with 12/16 FC seats still open, no upgrade yet, which I’m not too worried about, just interesting that it can sometimes be at T-24 for a flight that has been wide open up front for quite sometime now.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I had this happen last week on a misconnect at LAX. As soon as my scheduled flight left and I was re-accommodated on a later flight, I was immediately upgraded. This was at somewhere near T-5h.

There was a list when T-4 arrived, and that sole person was likely thrilled that I got on a prior flight via standby and opened up that seat.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I had this happen last week on a misconnect at LAX. As soon as my scheduled flight left and I was re-accommodated on a later flight, I was immediately upgraded. This was at somewhere near T-5h.
Always hard to say, but this sounds to me less like an "instant upgrade" done by the system after rebooking, and more like a GA or somebody doing you a solid by just confirming you into an open J seat since you had been upgraded already on a flight they failed to get you onto. I've had that happen a number of times, whereas I don't think I've ever had an upgrade happen instantly unless I was at least a few days out and the flight was wide open in J.

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
There was a list when T-4 arrived, and that sole person was likely thrilled that I got on a prior flight via standby and opened up that seat.
Did you check and see if it was J0 after you got confirmed and/or upgraded on that flight? If so, that means they put you in the last open J seat, which I wouldn't think the automated system would do at T-5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.