Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SFO - MEX: Best routing option for AA Flagship Dining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - MEX: Best routing option for AA Flagship Dining

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:30 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
SAD!!!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Hey that's an insult to Applebees .
I don't think this is possible.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I think this is an ego thing. Its hey I got served a McDonalds style breakfast bagel sandwich while you the great unwashed in steerage will get nothing more than a small, stale cookie. Yes I enjoy the lounges when flying but could never imagine seriously going out of my way to visit a lounge.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by scubadu
I completely agree with you and yet, that seems to be largely what FT is obsessed about anymore. People on FT generally seem to be way, way over indexed on airport lounges and "free" hotel breakfast. Its becoming borderline bizarre.

Regards
I don't view our obsession as obsession

More like, if I connect at LAX, I can eat and drink at the QF Lounge -- and the Flagship Lounge isn't bad. On the other hand, if I connect at DFW or PHX, the options are poor. If I need extra EQM's, Miami has a nice Flagship Lounge and a great international vibe.

So all things being equal when traveling internationally, I'll connect at LAX or MIA as my first choices, JFK or ORD as my second choices, DFW as third choice, and PHL/CLT/PHX at last choice. Not sure that's an obsession

Of course, sometimes things aren't equal -- poor connections, high fares, bad weather, etc.
JDiver, platbrownguy and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR

More like, if I connect at LAX, I can eat and drink at the QF Lounge -- and the Flagship Lounge isn't bad. On the other hand, if I connect at DFW or PHX, the options are poor. If I need extra EQM's, Miami has a nice Flagship Lounge and a great international vibe.

So all things being equal when traveling internationally, I'll connect at LAX or MIA as my first choices, JFK or ORD as my second choices, DFW as third choice, and PHL/CLT/PHX at last choice. Not sure that's an obsession

Of course, sometimes things aren't equal -- poor connections, high fares, bad weather, etc.
I understand when presented with several viable connection options taking the one with the best lounge. Id rather connect in LAX over PHX because I like to shower between flights. Even a few times I've been given the option of RDU over CLT and taken RDU for showers. However, I wouldn't fly halfway across the country to get a better free airline (lounge) meal, unless I needed to bank EQMs. Also, personal travel is very different than business travel. Try telling your boss why its going to take eight hours for you to fly from MIA to NYC and see how long you have a job.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think this is an ego thing. Its hey I got served a McDonalds style breakfast bagel sandwich while you the great unwashed in steerage will get nothing more than a small, stale cookie. Yes I enjoy the lounges when flying but could never imagine seriously going out of my way to visit a lounge.
Agree with this, even better lounges like the BA Concorde Room, The Wing in Hong Kong, etc. They are just not that big a deal; at best a pleasant place to sit with free drinks, usually mediocre wines, and bad food (relative to just about anything reasonable you could get outside an airport).
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
Agree with this, even better lounges like the BA Concorde Room, The Wing in Hong Kong, etc. They are just not that big a deal; at best a pleasant place to sit with free drinks, usually mediocre wines, and bad food (relative to just about anything reasonable you could get outside an airport).
Eh, there are exceptions that are worth a bit of a detour or extra time -- Air France's La Premiere lounge in CDG, and probably to a slightly lesser extent, the Lufthansa First Class Lounges/Terminal at FRA/MUC. But the AF one in particular is not cheap/easy to get into. But by and large, I agree with you!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
It's a lifestyle, really.

Either way, that "obsession" is partly what makes FlyerTalk what it is today.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enpremiere
It's a lifestyle, really.

Either way, that "obsession" is partly what makes FlyerTalk what it is today.
There's obsession, then there's stupidity. Flying thousands of miles out of your way and spending hundreds if not thousands of $$ to eat an Applebee's type meal in a bunch of not too particularly comfortable chairs? I'll leave others to figure out whether that's the former or latter.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

Flying thousands of miles out of your way
If it's the right aircraft, EQMs are needed, it doesn't cost extra, and time is aplenty, why not? Flying is just in the blood sometimes (just not in all aircraft).

Spending hundreds if not thousands of $$ to eat an Applebee's type meal in a bunch of not too particularly comfortable chairs?
That is indeed the absurd/ridiculous/borderline "we need to talk" fantasy component that sparks pages of FT posts with perspectives about life, what's real, and "you would spend xxxx to get monopoly points?"
​​
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

There's definitely that rush that when you walk into the doors of an AC and people walking by are wondering must you be famous and/or rich? (LOL if they ever saw some of the people and behavior that goes on in the AC, not much better than the gate.) Back in the days of solely EQMs I did my fair share of flying to somewhere and right back to build for EXP status (HNL, FRA, NRT come to mind). But the fares were cheap (again before the terror of BE) and the SWUs cleared easy and early.

Today I'm slumming in PLT status settling for MCE and a free drink, along with some upgrades (I for the most part have cleared near 100% of those I put in for).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:00 pm

There's definitely that rush that when you walk into the doors of an AC and people walking by are wondering must you be famous and/or rich?
Weeeeeeellllll that might be a bit of a stretch. I highly doubt that passersby could care less about who comes in or out and even so who in their right mind would care?

People walking by are wondering must you be famous and/or rich is about as real as my push for official recognition of terminal swagger which surprisingly has still not found acceptance in the venerated halls of the medical community. Real class has nothing to do with any imaginary status granted by blindly spending on some airline or the location of a seat on a plane.

Now, holding a 77W past D0 for a single pax or tarmac transfers in an Escalade are quite a bit more interesting .
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
slightly off topic but kinda relevant if im flying LAX-MEX in F will i have access to flagship first dining or qantas f lounge or just the business ones?

im assuming just the business but you never know.

Last edited by Amil; Oct 9, 2018 at 10:19 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:27 pm

There's definitely that rush that when you walk into the doors of an AC and people walking by are wondering must you be famous and/or rich?
If walking into a (poor) airline lounge makes you feel this way, I feel sorry for you.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Amil
slightly off topic but kinda relevant if im flying LAX-MEX in F will i have access to flagship first dining or qantas f lounge or just the business ones?

im assuming just the business but you never know.
Flagship First Dining is limited to passengers in First in 3 class and up cabins. Which means First Class in the a321T (JFK-LAX/SFO) or F on the 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.