Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card EQM: how long to post and should I bother

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

My wife has infrequent business travel ( about 1/month) but was able to earn AAdvantage Gold in 2017 for 2018 status. Travel has been minimal in 2018 so we will probably need the 10,000 EQM from her Citi AA Executive card to make Gold this year. Questions:

1. How long does it take the EQM's post once we hit the the 40,000 spend? I read that it can takes 6 weeks. Does this mean I need to make the spend by early November for it to count in 2018? We can easily do so but it will mean not earning UR on our CSR which is much more user friendly than AA points.

2. She has boarding priority and free bags with her credit card. We have purchased Main Cabin Extra seats at a discount in the past but that benefit is gone for Gold. I can only recall a handful of times she was able to use her 500 mile upgrade. Any other benefits we will be missing beside the earn bonus?

Not sure if switching our spend is worth doing. Like to hear your thoughts.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
My experience is that its almost immediate - certainly within a week or two.

Biggest benefits are 1) the EQMs and 2) the AC membership. I use the AC most every time I fly so that's worth it to me. And as others have mentioned, you can get things done at the AC (in terms of IRROPS and rebookings) that regular agents cant or wont do.

I also hear the travel protection when using the Exec card are pretty good when things really go bad (over night busted connections, long delays).
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Mine just kicked in. About 1 day.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ckelly14
My wife has infrequent business travel ( about 1/month) but was able to earn AAdvantage Gold in 2017 for 2018 status. Travel has been minimal in 2018 so we will probably need the 10,000 EQM from her Citi AA Executive card to make Gold this year. Questions:

1. How long does it take the EQM's post once we hit the the 40,000 spend? I read that it can takes 6 weeks. Does this mean I need to make the spend by early November for it to count in 2018? We can easily do so but it will mean not earning UR on our CSR which is much more user friendly than AA points.

2. She has boarding priority and free bags with her credit card. We have purchased Main Cabin Extra seats at a discount in the past but that benefit is gone for Gold. I can only recall a handful of times she was able to use her 500 mile upgrade. Any other benefits we will be missing beside the earn bonus?

Not sure if switching our spend is worth doing. Like to hear your thoughts.
What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Just didn't want to use all that spend and miss elite status by the miles posting after the year was over.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Also make sure she hits the EQDs as well.

In my experience, I’ve earned the bonus EQMs before but all it did was move me from 60,000 to 70,000 EQMs which did me absolutely no good as this was before Platinum Pro was around, and had no impact on my status and Ex Plat was too far away to reasonably mileage run for.

Thus, it was all useless and I should’ve used a different card to earn more benefits.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United 1k, ITA CE, Marriott Ambr, Hertz Pres, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres
I just got my EQM's last month and they posted the day after my monthly billing cycle ended.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info.

Last question:

Even after the 10000 mile bonus from the credit card, my wife will be about 1154 miles short. We are good with EQD’s. We have a one way flight to MSY from CHS via MIA in November, which I calculate as 1165 miles. The CHS to MIA segment is actually less than 500 miles so the two segments together may be more than 1165 miles. Our fare code is currently S.

I’m wondering since things are so tight I should give myself some wiggle room by upgrading my wife to a higher class to get the multiplier? I booked through a third party so I do t know where I can find exactly where the calculation is. Can I call Aadvantage?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, United 1k, ITA CE, Marriott Ambr, Hertz Pres, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres
Thanks all for the info.

Last question:

Even after the 10000 mile bonus from the credit card, my wife will be about 1154 miles short. We are good with EQD’s. We have a one way flight to MSY from CHS via MIA in November, which I calculate as 1165 miles. The CHS to MIA segment is actually less than 500 miles so the two segments together may be more than 1165 miles. Our fare code is currently S.

I’m wondering since things are so tight I should give myself some wiggle room by upgrading my wife to a higher class to get the multiplier?

I would call the desk and ask them to calculate, they can give you the exact EQM's. No need to be guessing.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
One day.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StradaleAA
I would call the desk and ask them to calculate, they can give you the exact EQM's. No need to be guessing.
thanks for the info. Yes, I called and have a whole 20 miles to spare!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: CK or bust

thanks for the info. Yes, I called and have a whole 20 miles to spare!
Congratulations on making gold! It's definitely on the low run of the ladder these days but it's still better than nothing if you're not going out of your way for it!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:12 pm

AA Citi Executive card - when do 10k EQMs post?

Apologies if this has been asked before... when do you receive the 10K EQMs for teaching 40k spend in a calendar year?

I may be short a few EQMs to requalify in 2018. Is there any chance I could get the 10K EQMs into my 2018 total by reaching 40k spend in early December?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to AA forum, because this is an airline benefit.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Takes a few days. Maybe a couple of weeks max.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.