Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The secret cell phone enforcer on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The secret cell phone enforcer on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Flyer78
Ah, the 70s and (early) 80s, when cell phones either didn't exist, or were not as common as now. And that fasten seatbelt sign that went off about 3 minutes after the No Smoking Sign...

And they didn't collect those strange headsets an hour early, either...
And no mileage runs.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Excellent! My go to airplane movie is usually either Inglrorious Basterds or Goodfellas, enough violence to scare my seat-neighbor away!
At that point it’s a seat opponent.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The cell phone rule has always been an FCC rule, not an FAA rule because the concerns, as stated above, that it would tie up signals from too many cell towers simultaneously.

That being said, occasionally I have an FA push the issue and I comply. Not worth the problem.

And ... it if was an avionics problem, I figure that over the past 10-20 years, the number of individuals flying on planes with their cell phones not in airplane mode has multiplied by hundreds ... yet planes don't seem to be falling out of the air even with all these wifi equipped flights.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:38 am

Let's break this down
1. You were breaking the law.
2. Someone told you you were breaking the law
3. You got pissy

Here's what's polite. If you are breaking the law (you have your phone out, you cut someone off driving, anything illegal that you know is wrong), and someone mentions it (they tell you, they honk at you), you don't get pissy - you admit you were wrong. Because getting angry when you're in the wrong is stupid.

Nobody is perfect enough to never break the law, but everyone is good enough to accept critique when they make that mistake.

And before anybody says "but this was minor" - it doesn't matter. it's the principle. Society rests on an edifice of rules and regulations. The alternative is red in tooth and claw.
Always Flyin and vh_bu98 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I would've probably complied, taken their picture (discreetly) at some point, and send it to one of my buddies who works for Republic corporate that they got a rogue one working for them.
Because there is nothing more adult than being a snitch.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
I don’t claim to know the origin of the rule, but I can say that about 10 years back, you could hear the whistling in your headset from cellphone use. I’ll specifically reference headset (rx and trx) as opposed to headphones. As there is a lot more critical comm at take off and landing, the rule would seem to make sense. Whether this is still the case today...I don’t know.

Does the FAA does prohibit the use ‘in flight’? it’s odd that anyone would know that and not know that movement towards becoming airborne, including taxing, and run up, has long been interpreted by the FAA to be part of the ‘flight’.

My my first flight as an EXP, was w my wife ORD/FLL. The middle seat (yep, y) was occupied by a non rev FA, who thought it appropriate to moderate our conversation. A brief quip that their opinion wasn’t welcome didn’t stop the matter, so we decided it was time to read our books. I didn’t know who she was, but easy for her to find out who I was. Apparently the FA working the section caught wind of her comments, and made a point of asking what We would like for our free drinks... the middle seater first looked shocked (I don’t recall saying anything nieve or stupid), but then just rolled her eyes.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Let's break this down
3. You got pissy

Here's what's polite. If you are breaking the law (you have your phone out, you cut someone off driving, anything illegal that you know is wrong), and someone mentions it (they tell you, they honk at you), you don't get pissy - you admit you were wrong. Because getting angry when you're in the wrong is stupid.

Nobody is perfect enough to never break the law, but everyone is good enough to accept critique when they make that mistake.

And before anybody says "but this was minor" - it doesn't matter. it's the principle. Society rests on an edifice of rules and regulations. The alternative is red in tooth and claw.
I kind of have to agree here. She was right; you were wrong. It doesn't matter if the regulation seems pointless to you. You sound just like the person who ignores the boarding groups and says, "It doesn't matter; we're all going to the same place anyway." (That actually happened to me.) Or puts his/her bag in the 1st class cabin and says, "It doesn't matter; there's room here and there isn't back there." Etc.

Being scolded is annoying for sure, but when they're right, just eat crow and admit it.
Always Flyin likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by kcmd
the whole cell phone interfering with electronics is such a load of crap, remember when they used to not allow cell phones in hospitals because they thought it'd interfere with medical equipment, also glad they stopped the previous rules of only using phones at the gate. Don't forget you still can't use your cell phones while pumping gas...also crap and widely debunked.
GSM phones absolutely do interfere with some medical equipment. The MRI RF circuits do pick it up, photomultipliers can discharge, so can avalanche diodes, and camera amplifiers.
Originally Posted by formeraa
..Now, we always think we are important and "2 more seconds" does not matter.
Not sure if we are, but 2 seconds do not matter.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Let's break this down
3. You got pissy

Completely agree. Regardless of whether cell phones interfere with aircraft systems, rules are rules and if you don't like them don't fly. There is no point arguing why the rule is invalid or unfair. Accept it and adhere to it or don't fly.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PHL
On a Republic flight, was in the middle of finishing a text to someone when the door closed for pushback. Almost immediately, the woman in the window seat next to me said "please put your phone in airplane mode". I was a little taken back and looked at her for a moment and told her I was almost finished. She then said "I'm an FA and this is against FCC and FAA regulations. I'm advising you this for my own safety". She also went into the argument about interference with aircraft systems.

Ok, we were not even yet pushing back. And yes, I know when the door closes the announcement comes on to put mobile devices in airplane mode and put away "large" laptops. I also know that "reasonable" time to comply with those instructions is given. She didn't waste a second to tell me this the moment the door was closed.

Her stickler attitude was what shocked me more than anything. I replied to her that I would have been done already if she hadn't interrupted me, and no - it's not an FCC regulation to not use a phone on the ground. She then looked over to the passenger on the other side of the aisle who was on his phone. She raised her voice to him as well "Airplane mode please. I don't see the airplane icon on your screen". On his screen was his music library and he had headphones on. She was in the "D" window seat of an E175 and saying this to the person in the "B" aisle seat across from me. I don't see how she could make out if he had his phone in airplane mode or not, but whatever.

Rather than engage further with her, I finished my text and put my phone away. We didn't speak the rest of the flight.
there is absolutely no safety issue with the signal transmissions from devices.

The main reason they state their rules is to make everyone listen to the safety briefing.
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Let's break this down
3. You got pissy

No law was being violated. The use of electronics is allowed until they make the announcement which had not been made. An off-duty FA has no authority to issue requests that need to be followed. They were in uniform and representing their company and should be reported. Leave it to their management to determine if further action is needed.
asnovici, User Name, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:52 am

I would have informed her that I understood that closing of the door was a necessary but not a sufficient condition for engagement of flight mode to be mandatory, and that I would engage it when requested or ordered to do so by the operating crew.
RogerD408 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I kind of have to agree here. She was right; you were wrong. It doesn't matter if the regulation seems pointless to you. You sound just like the person who ignores the boarding groups and says, "It doesn't matter; we're all going to the same place anyway." (That actually happened to me.) Or puts his/her bag in the 1st class cabin and says, "It doesn't matter; there's room here and there isn't back there." Etc.
Being scolded is annoying for sure, but when they're right, just eat crow and admit it.
I think some of the recent posters who are being critical of the OP need to go back and read the original post. The OP makes it clear that this occurred almost immediately after the door closed and the announcement was only just being made, and he basically hadn't even had time to switch over to airplane mode yet (he specifically says he had not yet had "reasonable time" to comply).

Suddenly, for unclear reasons, the deadheading flight attendant began (quite rudely, in my opinion) examining both his phone and the phone of the passenger across the aisle, which I find very strange. No one should be attempting to look at others' private cell phone screens. She then took it upon herself to attempt to be judge/jury/executioner, even though she actually had no standing as a crewmember on the flight.

Additionally, with regard to the quoted post above, I have no idea how being a bit slow to switch one's cell phone over to airplane mode could possibly mean OP is also the type of person who ignores boarding groups -- I see no connection between the two. He wasn't attempting to break any rules, so there's nothing to suggest he would attempt to break any other rule.

I guess some people just enjoy telling others what to do (and apparently some people here enjoy being critical of other posters when they haven't even bothered to familiarize themselves with the details of the original post).
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metallo
I think some of the recent posters who are being critical of the OP need to go back and read the original post. The OP makes it clear that this occurred almost immediately after the door closed and the announcement was only just being made, and he basically hadn't even had time to switch over to airplane mode yet (he specifically says he had not yet had "reasonable time" to comply).

Suddenly, for unclear reasons, the deadheading flight attendant began (quite rudely, in my opinion) examining both his phone and the phone of the passenger across the aisle, which I find very strange. No one should be attempting to look at others' private cell phone screens. She then took it upon herself to attempt to be judge/jury/executioner, even though she actually had no standing as a crewmember on the flight.

Additionally, with regard to the quoted post above, I have no idea how being a bit slow to switch one's cell phone over to airplane mode could possibly mean OP is also the type of person who ignores boarding groups -- I see no connection between the two. He wasn't attempting to break any rules, so there's nothing to suggest he would attempt to break any other rule.

I guess some people just enjoy telling others what to do (and apparently some people here enjoy being critical of other posters when they haven't even bothered to familiarize themselves with the details of the original post).
+1
I also commend those who think this woman was reasonable to reread this bit from the OP:
She raised her voice to him as well "Airplane mode please. I don't see the airplane icon on your screen". On his screen was his music library and he had headphones on. She was in the "D" window seat of an E175 and saying this to the person in the "B" aisle seat across from me. I don't see how she could make out if he had his phone in airplane mode or not, but whatever.
Nor without peering at the OP's phone could she determine he wasn't just typing a draft text to be sent immediately upon landing. That's why the OP then watching an R rated film was a good move. He must have known she'd be checking.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:20 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kcmd
the whole cell phone interfering with electronics is such a load of crap, remember when they used to not allow cell phones in hospitals because they thought it'd interfere with medical equipment, also glad they stopped the previous rules of only using phones at the gate. Don't forget you still can't use your cell phones while pumping gas...also crap and widely debunked.
If someone calls you on your cell while you're pumping gas, there's a risk the spark between two electrodes generated when the phone rings can ignite the gas vapor around the pump handle, causing an explosion. Especially if you keep your phone in your pants pocket. And yes, it has happened. It's a completely different issue from electronic interference with other equipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.