Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The secret cell phone enforcer on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The secret cell phone enforcer on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Off-duty staff has zero standing in my view. And if the FAs hadn't made the announcement, you'd be good to stay online. Getting a name to file a complaint would be best, but I'd bet given the flight info and seat assignment, they'd be able to determine the non-rev. Meeting rudeness with rudeness is not advised, especially in an environment where the working FAs might side with the non-rev and claim non-compliance. Choose your battles wisely.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rogerd408
choose your battles wisely.
wise words
IrishBoy, muji, KenTarmac and 3 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 5, 2018 at 6:26 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I would have told her to mind her own business and if she continued looking at my phone I would start editing my nudes...
muji likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Reminds me of this:

IrishBoy likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I just think she wanted everyone's phone off so she had more bandwidth to finish downloading her movie.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Oct 5, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Whether she was working crew or nobody, she was correct. So, need to be a bit careful how you handle things.

I would not engage. But, I would have ceased the violation.
No, she wasn't correct, and there was no violation. OP's response to her was right on the facts; there is no FCC or FAA regulation requiring airplane mode on the ground. The regulation clearly prohibits cell phone transmitters in flight. The airlines ask you to go into airplane mode when the door closes (sometimes...often they don't get around to it till they're taxiing), but that is absolutely not the regulation.

Also, just as an aside, there are no FAA regulations of any kind pertinent here; as somebody else alluded to, the cell phone ban is and always was based on interference with cellular networks, not planes. And yes, it's been rendered totally obsolete by the progression of cellular technology. The EU allows cell phones in flight, and many carriers install microcells onboard; they're flying the same planes and using the same cell tower equipment we have over here, and aren't having problems.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I remember this well. First episode first season...........
Interesting reference to buying a phone a Radio Shack.............
Anyway, his point is valid. If phones were really that dangerous they would not be permitted onboard.
Yep, Toby's right on that part, even if he's being characteristically unpleasant about it. But that scene always annoys the crap out of me because they have him spout technical jargon that's totally bunk. They stopped making the L1011 years before TWW ever aired.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
On a Republic flight, was in the middle of finishing a text to someone when the door closed for pushback. Almost immediately, the woman in the window seat next to me said "please put your phone in airplane mode". I was a little taken back and looked at her for a moment and told her I was almost finished. She then said "I'm an FA and this is against FCC and FAA regulations. I'm advising you this for my own safety". She also went into the argument about interference with aircraft systems.

Ok, we were not even yet pushing back. And yes, I know when the door closes the announcement comes on to put mobile devices in airplane mode and put away "large" laptops. I also know that "reasonable" time to comply with those instructions is given. She didn't waste a second to tell me this the moment the door was closed.

Her stickler attitude was what shocked me more than anything. I replied to her that I would have been done already if she hadn't interrupted me, and no - it's not an FCC regulation to not use a phone on the ground. She then looked over to the passenger on the other side of the aisle who was on his phone. She raised her voice to him as well "Airplane mode please. I don't see the airplane icon on your screen". On his screen was his music library and he had headphones on. She was in the "D" window seat of an E175 and saying this to the person in the "B" aisle seat across from me. I don't see how she could make out if he had his phone in airplane mode or not, but whatever.

Rather than engage further with her, I finished my text and put my phone away. We didn't speak the rest of the flight.
In the 70's and 80's, FA's used to actually enforce the rules. And there was none of this "just give me 2 seconds". If anyone dared rise when the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign was on, they would be yelled at and possibly over the PA system. Now, we always think we are important and "2 more seconds" does not matter.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by metallo
You do have to be very careful on flights these days, because failure to follow crew instructions can be regarded as a federal crime -- story for another day, but a little over a year ago, when I was traveling in F on a SkyWest E175, an FA had a police officer meet me at the door after arrival when I'd had a very similar airplane mode argument with her. The officer wanted to see my ID, interviewed me, and actually detained me until his colleague interviewed the FA. I made it clear I didn't want to talk to him, and he told me he'd put me in handcuffs if I didn't do everything he asked. There was even a police report filed through the airport police department, and I obtained a copy of it later, which showed there was "no probable cause" any crime had been committed. But I couldn't believe how close I came to being potentially arrested, which could have ruined my professional career. It's unbelievable the power-tripping that happens with FAs sometimes.
Similar thing (police called for no reason) happened to me, too, many years ago. Story.
metallo likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I would've probably complied, taken their picture (discreetly) at some point, and send it to one of my buddies who works for Republic corporate that they got a rogue one working for them.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
In a courteous yet firm manner, you should have told her to shut her cake-hole.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:45 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by rickg523
Really. A Republic employee. That's one FA in need of training, badly. Sure it wasn't a Halloween costume?
Under that circumstance, I would have asked her name and told her as soon as we touch down, I'm texting a complaint to mgmnt about non-revs butting into paying passengers' business. Obviously, if she's seeing there's no airplane mode icon on your screen, she's reading your private texts as well. That would be a major part of my complaint.
She may have been an AA mainline employee commuting to pick up a flight in PHL. I guess that's kind of irrelevant though since she was on some kind of power trip. The fact that there is no FCC reg that prohibits cell phone usage on the ground is trumped by an FA making an announcement in line with company policy(which is FAA regulatory) that requires phones go to airplane mode. Once a crew member says it, it's the passenger's obligation to adhere to it.

It is also true that my off duty FA seat mate had zero authority over me, but if I had escalated the situation one of her colleagues would have gotten involved and then it could only go down hill from there, especially considering we were still on the ground. It was a battle not worth fighting.

I did immediately fire up my iPad (in airplane mode) with pre-downloaded content. One of them was the show Shameless (a guilty pleasure of mine) that opened with a steamy sex scene. She was definitely side eye'ing me over that but she kept quiet....
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
She may have been an AA mainline employee commuting to pick up a flight in PHL. I guess that's kind of irrelevant though since she was on some kind of power trip. The fact that there is no FCC reg that prohibits cell phone usage on the ground is trumped by an FA making an announcement in line with company policy(which is FAA regulatory) that requires phones go to airplane mode. Once a crew member says it, it's the passenger's obligation to adhere to it.

It is also true that my off duty FA seat mate had zero authority over me, but if I had escalated the situation one of her colleagues would have gotten involved and then it could only go down hill from there, especially considering we were still on the ground. It was a battle not worth fighting.
Oh yeah, absolutely agree with everything you just said. My response would have been very similar to your own.

Originally Posted by PHL
I did immediately fire up my iPad (in airplane mode) with pre-downloaded content. One of them was the show Shameless (a guilty pleasure of mine) that opened with a steamy sex scene. She was definitely side eye'ing me over that but she kept quiet....
Excellent work.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by PHL

Excellent! My go to airplane movie is usually either Inglrorious Basterds or Goodfellas, enough violence to scare my seat-neighbor away!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
In the 70's and 80's, FA's used to actually enforce the rules. And there was none of this "just give me 2 seconds". If anyone dared rise when the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign was on, they would be yelled at and possibly over the PA system. Now, we always think we are important and "2 more seconds" does not matter.
Ah, the 70s and (early) 80s, when cell phones either didn't exist, or were not as common as now. And that fasten seatbelt sign that went off about 3 minutes after the No Smoking Sign...

And they didn't collect those strange headsets an hour early, either...
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.