Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The secret cell phone enforcer on my flight

The secret cell phone enforcer on my flight

Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Simple solution here.

"Sorry, I will comply with the crew of this flight, which you are not one. I'll also be filing a complaint regarding you spying on the contents of my screen.If you need anything else, please ring the call button and we'll have a FA address any concerns."
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No law was being violated. The use of electronics is allowed until they make the announcement which had not been made. An off-duty FA has no authority to issue requests that need to be followed. They were in uniform and representing their company and should be reported. Leave it to their management to determine if further action is needed.
I'm not a police officer, so I assume if I ask you to kindly stop murdering somebody you'll tell me I have no authority?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by 1P
If someone calls you on your cell while you're pumping gas, there's a risk the spark between two electrodes generated when the phone rings can ignite the gas vapor around the pump handle, causing an explosion. Especially if you keep your phone in your pants pocket. And yes, it has happened. It's a completely different issue from electronic interference with other equipment.
"Electrodes?"

I mean, maybe if your phone was made in 1983, but not nowadays.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Because there is nothing more adult than being a snitch.
I'll be a snitch over someone violating someone's basic human rights. Unless the OP was violating someone's personal life, liberty, or property, his seatmate should've minded their own business if they didn't want to get in trouble.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I'll be a snitch over someone violating someone's basic human rights. Unless the OP was violating someone's personal life, liberty, or property, his seatmate should've minded their own business if they didn't want to get in trouble.
If you believe that being asked by some random stranger with no authority about your cell phone is a matter of "basic human rights," you lead a profoundly sheltered existence.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 1P
If someone calls you on your cell while you're pumping gas, there's a risk the spark between two electrodes generated when the phone rings can ignite the gas vapor around the pump handle, causing an explosion. Especially if you keep your phone in your pants pocket. And yes, it has happened. It's a completely different issue from electronic interference with other equipment.
I do believe this has been busted by the Myth Busters some time ago and both cellphones & airplane control systems have been improved/hardened to deal with the newer equipment environment.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:32 am

I'm not a police officer, so I assume if I ask you to kindly stop murdering somebody you'll tell me I have no authority?
Not even close to the same. Ill skip the obvious reasons, but will add that murdering/causing harm to someone is illegal. Using a cellphone is perfectly ok before the announcement to turn off your cellphones is made.
chrisny2, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This didn't sound like a "ask you kindly" situation. Although I do try to refrain from replying to rudeness with rudeness, the "passenger" was out of line. We are required to follow crew member instructions, none had been given so OP was in compliance with the rules and regulations. And to answer your question, yes, you have no "authority" to ask someone to stop commiting a crime. Moral obligation maybe.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: UGS, AA CK
theyd probably murder you too. Good riddance.
nightkhan likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:19 am

I do believe this has been busted by the Myth Busters some time ago and both cellphones & airplane control systems have been improved/hardened to deal with the newer equipment environment.
With the caveat that MythBusters in no way conducts scientific or statistically valid research
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Science Goy
With the caveat that MythBusters in no way conducts scientific or statistically valid research
For lack of any scientific study, I also read: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fuelish-pleasures/ and various other reports that support the findings of the Myth Busters. They may be more dramatic than a bunch of science geeks, but they are making a TV program for non-scientific types.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:53 am

For lack of any scientific study, I also read: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fuelish-pleasures/ and various other reports that support the findings of the Myth Busters. They may be more dramatic than a bunch of science geeks, but they are making a TV program for non-scientific types.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy MythBusters! They just aren't testing the one-in-a-billion factors (and combinations of factors) that agencies like the FAA have to consider.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Science Goy
If you believe that being asked by some random stranger with no authority about your cell phone is a matter of "basic human rights," you lead a profoundly sheltered existence.
Obviously if they are a FA they have some power over the flights they work. Getting rid of the bad seed is good for everyone.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Yep, Toby's right on that part, even if he's being characteristically unpleasant about it. But that scene always annoys the crap out of me because they have him spout technical jargon that's totally bunk. They stopped making the L1011 years before TWW ever aired.
that one made me sick too-L1011 laughable
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
The trick is not to turn the hand crank on the phone, which would increase the spark amperage. Also, keep it in your shirt pocket rather than pants pocket, that way it is further from one of your body's major sources of energy.

But during intense cosmic ray events, like the one happening tonight at 1am in all time zones, keep all electronics away from your body altogether.
stc likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 7, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.