Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Scarcity of non dairy/cheese dessert menu items on longhaul business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

In my roughly 8 times or so flying American longhaul business class, I've noticed the dessert menu options to be all/heavily dairy/cheese choices. Options typically consist of a sundae, cheese plate, or cheesecake/cake with lots of cream/dairy in it.

I realise some folks may enjoy this but I turned lactose intolerant a few years back so I can't freely enjoy those items anymore unfortunately. Has American always been like this on the dessert section? Can it be that difficult to have a fresh fruit choice or have a cake that's not cheesecake/tiramisu?

I've flown other oneworld carriers up front and they usually are good about having a fruit/other option.

Any experiences/thoughts on this, especially those who might also be lactose.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
If I had such a restriction I would probably bring my own dessert if it really mattered to me.
jcatman and Counterpointing like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: LH HON
Special meal will help you.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by henhen
I've flown other oneworld carriers up front and they usually are good about having a fruit/other option.
Those other oneworld carriers aren't U.S.-based, are they? Victory by the California Milk Advisory Board is complete.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
There are usually more sweet things in the mid-flight galley snack display, and the cookies/chocolate things are usually pretty tasty. I might ask the crews if they could make you a plate of those.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Those other oneworld carriers aren't U.S.-based, are they? Victory by the California Milk Advisory Board is complete.
How much of AA's dairy products come from California milk? After all, if we are going to have dairy products, they might as well come from the "Happy Cows" in California, where cows consider earthquakes to be foot massages. (This was in one ad)
Nomorepretzels and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Unfortunately, it seems to have always been this way. That said, most dessert options seem to be heavy on dairy. There's also the sundaes. I've just prepared myself and always have plenty of lactase pills ready when I fly.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Not sure whether AA's dairy products come from California milk, but I'll bet they are Dean Foods products!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamOF
There are usually more sweet things in the mid-flight galley snack display, and the cookies/chocolate things are usually pretty tasty. I might ask the crews if they could make you a plate of those.
Cookies usually have butter, and chocolate could have milk in it as well.
I'm kind of struggling to think of what good "regular" non-dairy desert options there could be (i.e., not something made explicitly to be non-dairy, and not just a fruit plate). Even apple pie or a warm fruit cobbler would have butter in the crust/topping, no?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
Special meal will help you.
Totally agree. This is the exact reason airlines offer special meals.

One of the meal options is "Non-lactose: Does not contain cheese, dairy products and their derivatives, lactose or milk products"
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dave_261
Totally agree. This is the exact reason airlines offer special meals.

One of the meal options is "Non-lactose: Does not contain cheese, dairy products and their derivatives, lactose or milk products"
I'm not lactose intolerant, but I do understand the OPs point - Cheese plate, cheesecake and ice cream; akin to being sat on by a cow.

I would be in favor of 1 of the 3 being less dairy based.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Should of specified more, I can eat stuff with dairy in it, but when it comes to like a sundae, milk, heavy cheesecake, and obviously straight up cheese, that's when it gives me stomach issues if I don't prepare with lactase pills.

Would be good to see more things along the likes of cookies/carrot/choco cake, fruit platter and things not predominately dairy.

I also don't feel the need to order a special meal just for the dessert portion, when the starter/mains are perfectly fine, even with small/limited amounts of dairy (that can be avoided/scraped off for example)

Last edited by henhen; Oct 5, 2018 at 9:38 am Reason: more content
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
In general, the health index of AA meals is low - heavy on fat and carbs and salt.

The vegetarian pasta in white sauce must be 1000 calories and 1000 milligrams of salt.

The salads were shrunk a couple years back.

The snack basket offerings have the healthiest options - fruit, nuts, and 50 calorie popcorn (instead of the Smartfood Cheddar which is tasty but more calories than potato chips).
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:15 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I hear you - I also really do wish they offered a fruit plate option as well. I don't eat ice cream, so the sundae isn't my thing. I usually skip the dessert and then grab something from the basket later on (fruit or one of the other dessert items). I just completed several r/t segments on Air Canada and noted they have a cheese plate, warm cookie and ice cream or fruit plate option available.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by henhen
I also don't feel the need to order a special meal just for the dessert portion...
But you felt the need to complain about it. (Should this complaint go in that other thread?)

Unfortunately AA does not realize that there is a market for the special meal option "regular meal items except lactose-free/vegan dessert".
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.